American Idol finale to pay tribute to Donna Summer, Robin Gibb

Kim

‘American Idol’ Finale to Include Rock, R&B and Country Legends

The big finale for “American Idol” Wednesday night will feature the usual mix of legendary artists and current pop stars, as well as several tributes to the big names in music we’ve lost recently.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, the female finalists will pay tribute to the late Donna Summer with help from R&B and disco icons Gloria Gaynor, Thelma Houston and Gladys Knight, as well as Nelly Furtado, Sheila E., Jennifer Holliday and Kristin Chenoweth, the latter of whom will sing the Barbra Streisand/Donna Summer duet “Enough Is Enough” with Jessica Sanchez. The girls will also perform with Chaka Khan later in the show.

The male finalists will perform songs from the Bee Gees, in honor of the late Robin Gibb, who died on Sunday.

Meanwhile, Creedence Clearwater Revival rocker John Fogerty — two of whose songs were performed this season — will duet with Phillip Phillips, while country icon Reba McEntire will sing with Skylar Laine. Joshua Ledet will perform with former “Idol” champ Fantasia, creating the long-awaited “Mantasia” mash-up. Another former “American Idol” champ Jordin Sparks will duet with Hollie Cavanagh on a Broadway show tune.

In addition, legendary crooner Neil Diamond will perform a group number with the boys, and Jessica will join Jennifer Holliday for another round of “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going,” which Holliday originated in the stage musical version of “Dreamgirls.”

As previously reported, Aerosmith and Rihanna will also entertain during the blowout finale, which will see either Jessica or Phillip crowned the “American Idol” champ.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2012/05/american-idol-finale-to-include-rock-rb-and-country-legends/

----

:excited: @ No More Tears (Enough is Enough) being performed!

After the Billboard fiasco, I know this better be good. :w00t:

Now THIS sounds like a tribute :thumbup::clapping: :clapping:

I think that's how a tribute should be. It should include your contemporaries/fellow greats/legends/icons, not just the youngins.

That's what I feel has been lacking from the Whitney tributes.

I think that's how a tribute should be. It should include your contemporaries/fellow greats/legends/icons, not just the youngins.

That's what I feel has been lacking from the Whitney tributes.

Exactly right. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I agree. That and the fact I have yet to see some liveliness in them. I mean this is Whitney we're talking about. Yes, we are all heartbroken she isn't here and her ballads are trademark, but Whitney was a very vibrant woman and she had many upbeat songs. Start adding in those to the tributes.

Exactly right. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I agree. That and the fact I have yet to see some liveliness in them. I mean this is Whitney we're talking about. Yes, we are all heartbroken she isn't here and her ballads are trademark, but Whitney was a very vibrant woman and she had many upbeat songs. Start adding in those to the tributes.

Yes @ the bolded.

It's kind of a letdown that Celine and Mariah haven't been asked to do anything.

i don't know why the Donna tribute was cancelled... It was like it was forbidden to say her name

If it was her family stopping this then i think it's something they shouldn't have done jus because it was the day of her funural. We don't want her forgotten but celebrated and on a show like this would have done soo much for her credibility and for the younger audience that know so little about her...

I really hope we will know why this had been cancelled and they did d a tribute to the bee gees

i don't know why the Donna tribute was cancelled... It was like it was forbidden to say her name

If it was her family stopping this then i think it's something they shouldn't have done jus because it was the day of her funural. We don't want her forgotten but celebrated and on a show like this would have done soo much for her credibility and for the younger audience that know so little about her...

I really hope we will know why this had been cancelled and they did d a tribute to the bee gees

It was? No wonder I couldn't find any videos on YouTube.

I wonder why it was cancelled...

It was? No wonder I couldn't find any videos on YouTube.

I wonder why it was cancelled...

appearantly the network cancelled the tribute as they were afraid of time restrains .

The family including her husband and daughters were very supportive of this tribute and did everything they can to help. All the Diva's were ready (Chaka was one of her better friends).

The producers of AI are furious, but guess that's the way it goes... What a smack in the face again for her family after the BB awards... They found out after they buried Donna yesterday.

appearantly the network cancelled the tribute as they were afraid of time restrains .

The family including her husband and daughters were very supportive of this tribute and did everything they can to help. All the Diva's were ready (Chaka was one of her better friends).

The producers of AI are furious, but guess that's the way it goes... What a smack in the face again for her family after the BB awards... They found out after they buried Donna yesterday.

That's what I thought.

What a mess.

They could've cut down at least two unnecessary performances: J-Lo and Rihanna. No one would've missed them. They could've also cut Jennifer Holliday and Jessica's duet. :umm:

I was really looking forward to the tribute. It had a lot of potential.

so wait they did the tribute but it wasn't televised of they just pulled plug on it all together

Sometimes they pre-tape performances, but I don't think this was one of those times.

That's what I thought.

What a mess.

They could've cut down at least two unnecessary performances: J-Lo and Rihanna. No one would've missed them. They could've also cut Jennifer Holliday and Jessica's duet. :umm:

I was really looking forward to the tribute. It had a lot of potential.

Sometimes they pre-tape performances, but I don't think this was one of those times.

They pre taped the Enough is Enough performance...

A mess. But i love that she's dancing now. Still a mess.

:lol: :lol:

I wonder how often and long she rehearses.

They pre taped the Enough is Enough performance...

:o :o :o :o

I'd really like to see that one. Was that the one with Kristin and Jessica?

that was literally the first shot of her and i was on the floor instantly. :lmao:

:lmao: I know! In the first 5 seconds she's already making faces!

I saw her live at FTL Stonewall Pride and she sung her butt off, but didn't give us any of the dramatics. I would have fell out if she did!!

Donna has been on American Idol twice...2004 and 2008, so they have given her props already, even if the tribute was canceled. :)

I didn't realize Jessica was so tiny!

I want to see the performance. :( Is there a video somewhere?

that was literally the first shot of her and i was on the floor instantly. :lmao:

I wonder if she ever watches her own performances. :lol:

:lmao: I know! In the first 5 seconds she's already making faces!

I saw her live at FTL Stonewall Pride and she sung her butt off, but didn't give us any of the dramatics. I would have fell out if she did!!

Donna has been on American Idol twice...2004 and 2008, so they have given her props already, even if the tribute was canceled. :)

It's like, gurl... This ain't Broadway. :lol: People are gonna laugh atchu! :asham: Even on Broadway I would've busted my ass laughing. :lol:

They still shouldn't have cancelled it like that.

They couldn't even fit in ONE performance? :huh:

• Upvote 1