Unbreakable.

• 3 weeks later...

Excerpt:

Quote:

Reviewer rating:

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Mariah Carey

Qantas Credit Union Arena, November 10

I was reminded of this scene during Carey's Sydney show on Monday for two reasons. Firstly because Mariah made us actually watch the scene in full on the mammoth gold-framed screen that provided the show's backdrop while she stood to the side of the stage looking on (three Mariahs at once was no doubt a delightfully meta highlight for super fans in the audience).

This week, though, Carey was a completely different prospect: formidable, professional, a diva to be reckoned with.

Kicking off with her 1995 song Fantasy, wearing the first of three elegant fishtail gowns, Carey was in full control of her adoring crowd (crowd sign of the night: "I named my daughter after you, can I please get a hug?"). She covered off the vocal obstacle course that is Emotions early in proceedings, hitting the high whistle notes with an effortlessness that reassured any doubters who might have thought the instrument was in less than top condition. Later, on Cry and Fly Like A Bird, she showed that she was as much an interpreter as a vocal technician, flinging her arms wildly as she dug into the dark core of both songs to produce searing, explosive renditions.

The production was slicker this year, too: dancers, back-up singers and the band were in top form, and music director James "Big Jim" Wright

But then the quirks are part of Carey's charm, and one of many reasons her fans – who roared in almost constant approval during the show – will no doubt fork out again if she returns in 2015.

Sydney Morning Herald

Excerpt:

Quote:

Mariah Carey

Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne

Friday, November 7

It's not just that Mariah Carey's famed, five-octave vocal range is still intact. (Though it is.)

It's the sum total of all things gloriously and ineffably Mariah that made last night's Melbourne concert such a multi-sensory delight.

Admittedly, we were nervous. We'd read her recent bad reviews. We'd seen the videos in which she struggles to reach the high notes. Had the world's best-selling female singer lost her touch?

A handful of songs and one costume change in – as Carey hit her stride with a pitch-perfect rendition of Cry – the answer was clear.

What better way to open than with classics such as Fantasy and Emotions? If you're Mariah, you enhance the experience with a full-length, hot pink, fishtail velvet gown – accessorised with a wind machine and synthetic smoke. You stroke your hair a lot. When a high note is on the horizon, you brace yourself by touching your ear and adopting a pained expression, provoking the crowd into losing its collective mind.

Honey, Touch My Body, Thirsty, Supernatural, Fly Like A Bird, and a medley of other hits are all performed wonderfully. Sometimes accompanied by ripped shirtless boys spinning on their heads – and why the hell not?

Hero, which has everyone singing along, is backed by a photo montage.

Almost two hours in, you farewell us with We Belong Together. There is no encore but fans don't seem to expect it. With a flourish, you gather your enormous, electric blue hoop dress – the evening's second fishtail number – and sashay into the night.

Rival divas, take note: this is how it's done.

Source

HA HA.