Janet Jackson's surprsing connection to Kathy Ireland

Bailey

...Im sure at some point this may have been posted, but in the event it wasn't just thought Id throw it out here, Sterling Winters Company is a brand consulting business owned by Kathy  Ireland

The Surprising Link Between Kathy Ireland and Janet Jackson
51JwaTeWOSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Ireland is playing a quiet role in Jackson's comeback.

While working on my recent cover story about Kathy Ireland I came across many surprising facts. Ireland’s brand of replacement windows are big sellers. She has properties in Hawaii and Los Angeles where you can get married. She no longer has a clothing line at Kmart.

But the most surprising thing to me was Ireland’s quiet connection to pop star Janet Jackson.

You might have noticed Jackson is having something of a comeback. She’s the new face of Nutrisystem, the diet plan she used to drop a bunch of weight. That weight loss has gotten her publicity from outlets like USA Today and Access Hollywood. She’s also got a best-selling book out called True You about her search for happiness.

Although she’s cautious when talking about Jackson, Ireland is playing a role in Jackson’s career. Jackson is managed by Sterling/Winters which is owned by Kathy Ireland Worldwide. About one-quarter of Jackson’s book is recipes by her “chef consultant” Andre Carthen. Chef Andre is also part of Kathy Ireland Worldwide. He’s the face of Ireland’s ACafe Society brand which has its own line of knives and candles. Carthen will soon be designing menu items for Nutrisystem.

Ireland says she met Jackson through a friend but when asked about her role in the singer’s career, she demurs.

“Janet is amazing and smart,” says Ireland. “She doesn’t need any help from me.”

Of course Janet Jackson’s brother, Michael, was very close with Elizabeth Taylor who was one of Ireland’s best friends. Taylor’s Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Oscar sits in Ireland’s living room next to a framed photo of Ireland and Taylor.

0207_kathy-ireland-blue-dress_390x220-30

These earrings were a gift from Elizabeth Taylor.

Taylor taught Ireland to appreciate jewelry. The two lent their names to a public jewelry company called House of Taylor for a brief time but the company went bankrupt in 2008 after Taylor and Ireland canceled their licensing deals.

The beauty of Ireland’s relationship with Jackson is that it plays into the synergy in her company. Jackson could start her own line of clothes or even furniture under the Kathy Ireland brand. Ireland would benefit from the singer’s fame and fans and Jackson could take advantage of Ireland’s wide distribution.

Thanks to her ownership of Sterling/Winters, Ireland could manage more stars in the future. I asked if she has the rights to manage Elizabeth Taylor’s name and likeness going forward. We estimate that Taylor earned $12 million last year after she passed away in March. Ireland’s publicist says that any rights Ireland did have to Taylor she has returned to the star’s estate. But one thing I learned while covering Ireland, you shouldn’t underestimate what a smart business woman she is, even if she prefers to talk about people rather than profits. She likes to keep her company quiet but it’s worth keeping an eye on her celebrity connections.