Discography Chat: The Spice Girls

jarrylf

12 members have voted

1. 1. What's Your Favorite Spice Girls album?

• Spice (1996)
    • Spice World (1997)
    • Forever (2000)
  2. 2. Who's your favorite Spicegirl

• Scary/MelB
    • Sporty/MelC
    • Ginger/Geri
    • Posh/Victoria
    • Baby/Emma

spice-girls_thelavalizard.jpg

Ah good ol Spice Girls, I know I dont really tallk about them too much, but for those of you who didnt know, I LOVE THEM, always have since 96, NEVER stopped, I LIVED them through their reign, I BOWED. They arent my fave girl group on the planet anymore since discovering En Vogue, but they are either tied or every now & then switch places with TLC for my #2 spot. Theres something so damn special about them, it's like, they arent the best singers, they definitely arent the best dancers (they're not bad, and are better than other girl groups but you know what I mean their dancing isnt better than TLC's or EV's), but they have fuckin magic, and they shared the mic, and all 5 of them were individuals, and I think could really appeal to everybody of all ages (My great grandmother really did love them when they were hott, so I do mean ALL ages). Their greatness together mixed with Simon Fullers management I think made a great creation. So lets get to the albums

1st you got Spice, Great debut album, they came out the door swinging with THIS is us, and they kicked major ass. I LOVE this album and in all honesty I love every song on there except last time lover, BUT I live for (at this age) Say You'll Be There, 2 Become 1, Who Do You think You are, Love thang, Mama, & Naked. But again all the songs pretty much were great

Then they came back with Spiceworld, I ALWAYS loved the music more than I love the movie, and thats saying alot because I honestly do and always have loved that movie, but that album is my fave by them. The only song I dont love from that album is Do it, but Spice up your life is HANDS DOWWWWWWWWWWN my fave song by them that song can get me so hype, so animated, so..... :excited: when I saw Spiceworld for the 1st time....and it was my 1st time hearing that song, I REMEMBER MY MOUTH WAS OPENED THE WHOLE TIME. And I was obsessed with that song lol. But also I got a deep love for Too Much, Viva Forever (I LOVE THIS SONG SOO MUCH), Stop, & Never Give Up On The Good Times. I cannot say enough how much I still love this era/album from them.

:sigh: .........................................To say Forever was a let down........it's a understatement, I was NOT here for that album in 2000, AT ALL, and I wanted to be, I thought every song on there was nothing, ESPECIALLY compared to Spice World, I felt robbed, like "I waited 3 years for THIS?" BUT, I was a kid, I didnt understand or appreciate that they were going for a a whole new sound and look and brand. I wanted a epic followup to Spiceworld, which I thought was natural because Spiceworld was a epic followup from Spice, which was also epic. But Forever was so chill and laid back and I wasnt here for that in 2000, especially from them of all people/groups. Of this album I love Goodbye (I always had a place in my heart for this song, I LOVE their ballads, and this was so sweet and heartfelt and sung so great) Holler and If you wanna have some fun. The rest...meh

Then they came back with that greatest hits album, and SLAYED MY LIFE with Headlines, I LOVE that song and video, they was bad for that lol. IT SHOULD'VE BEEN A WHOLE ALBUM, I mean I got some of the other songs they recorded and finished, I wonder why they didnt do a full album, I really think thats what the world wanted from them when they came back, not just 2 new tracks, no matter how great they were. Tho I love Voodoo I like Angels and Spice is back way better.

All in all these girls are always gonna be special to me, big part of my childhood, and the media, there was NO escaping them, like if you hated/hate them.....I feel so bad for you lol, you must've had to go through hell those 4 years lol. But I ALWAYS have room for their comeback, and every year I'm waiting for it. They have what En Vogue, Klymaxx, & TLC have, GROUP syndrome, nobodies checkin for any of their solo stuff (well I am, but I mean the public) and yes Mel C has some hits, but still she's not exactly breaking records or setting trends or huge on her own. What the Spice Girls have in common with all of those groups, is that the core members that made greatness happen are stronger and better together than they are apart. And so many groups dont wanna recognize that.

My ranking is

1.Spiceworld

2.Spice

3.Forever

My poll prediction is for probably Spice World, who knows lol. Oh and going off of who I think would win the SG poll, Mel C. She's the all around fave for most people, so I wouldnt be shocked if she snatched this poll

My Spice Girl ranking is

1.Scary (I ALWAYS loved MEL B the most, her voice, her energy, her personality, like thats my kinda chick, and she was the 1 with the SOUL, and I'm all about ma soul)

2.Sporty (Definitely the best vocalist of the group, her voice is more flexible than the others, though sometimes her accent is to thick for me sometimes lol, thats just me, but I also really like her laid back personality)

3.Posh (Victoria is SO underrated in my opinion, like her deep voice is really great in the leads she's had and in the groups harmonies, and..........who's gone tell me she's not hott, I mean damn lol, though I think she lost tooo much weight since the 90's shes still hottness, and she knows it lol go on girl lol)

4. Baby (theres something so cute and innocent about her, but theres also a raunchiness I think lol, and I like her voice alot, but it's pretty 1 dimensional for my taste, same with her look.

5. Ginger, when I heard a Spice Girl left in 98......I was kinda hoping it'd be her, like seriously, I'm WELL aware that Posh is the forgotten spice in terms of the group and the music and image, but Ginger always seemed like she was trying to hard. But I love her, but she's also pretty 1 dimensional as far as her look and sound. I DO love that she can rap tho lol. And I really love her image as the raunchy 1 (cause I love raunchiness)

• Upvote 2

Damn you, J! I was just about to go to bed when I logged in and saw this thread. :sigh:

The Spice Girls represent a great time in my life. I was discovering myself and had come to understand that boys weren't supposed to listen to the Spice Girls. But I didn't care. In fact, I was probably even a little infatuated. There was something so magnetic and so effervescent about their brand of pop that I don't know how anybody could resist being swept up in that hype. Until One Direction arrived on the scene they were the only group on the planet whose Beatlemania comparison was truly warranted.

Like the rest of the planet, I learned of their existence through 'Wannabe', but it's hardly my favourite Spice Girls moment. However, I couldn't have chosen a better debut single for them. What a way to announce your arrival. 'Say You'll Be There' was always the better song, though. The verses were just as strong as the chorus, and the video was a knockout. I'd say that clip has more to do with igniting their fire than just about anything else they did. Spice is simply a glorious pop album from start to finish. Even their filler had more personality than the hits of some of their peers. They just had a way of making everything exciting.

Spiceworld is a masterpiece. And I say that with the same conviction I do any other classic album. Just because it's the Spice Girls doesn't make it any less credible. Their singles kicked things up another level and the success of Spice clearly afforded them a healthier video budget this time around. 'Spice Up Your Life' was the most amazing thing to hear as a kid. It was hook upon hook and incredibly paced. It felt like a rollercoaster ride everytime I played it. And BOY did I play it. If there were any lessons to be learned from their debut album, they certainly perfected them for Spiceworld. The innocence was still front and centre, but it had been slightly polished, and it reflected wonderfully in 'Too Much', 'Viva Forever', 'Saturday Night Divas' and 'Never Give Up On The Good Times'. I could take or leave 'Do It' and 'The Lady Is a Vamp', but I guess they serve their purpose well enough. They also have a fantastic B-Side in 'Outer Space Girls' which would've fit the album perfectly.

Well, the less said about Forever, the better. As a fan, you can see what they were going for. And on paper, it probably made great sense. But in tailoring an album for the critics and the squares, they essentially lost everything that made the Spice Girls who they were. Maybe they felt pressure to prove themselves as serious artists, but it wasn't like anybody was hinging their future on that. Although 'Holler' retained some of the playfulness, their new direction actually did the group a disservice almost on par with Geri's departure. Where the hell did their spark go? Forever is the album they should've made 20 years down the road after announcing a reunion. It wasn't right for the time. Quite simply, we weren't ready for them to grow up yet.

It's unfortunate they never recovered from the blow. It's fun to imagine what might have been had Geri not left and their solo careers not flopped, but I'm content with their discography, however short it is.

My ranking...

1. Spiceworld

2. Spice

3. Forever

For personality, Mel B was always my favourite Spice Girl. But for talent, I have to go with Mel C. Northern Star is a fantastic pop album.

I JUST got into Spice Girls (full albums instead of just single) a couple months ago. When I tell you I was BLOWN away.

that FUNK & Scary's lovely voice on Last Time Lover is just everything.

YES. 'Last Time Lover' is the track you play when somebody argues that the Spice Girls have no musicality. It's pure funk. They out TLC'd TLC on that one.

• Upvote 3

SpiceWorld (probably the 5th album I ever got lol) and Baby Spice (she's got a cute smile ^_^).

Recently, "Too Much" has grown to become one of my favorite songs by them. Although shortlived, they were a fun group while they were around. (I even had the movie and watched it loads of time lol)

Do you guys think if Simon didnt push them so hard, which resulted in their MEGA success, but also to him being pushed out, and if Geri stayed..... you guys think they would've kept on that road that they were on, and like made it at least 10 years full of albums, tours and #1's and songs that make Spice Up Your Life seem like Let Love Lead The Way? lol. I HONESTLY think so, because looking back and just watching the documentaries on them (for the last 2 days).....the public for the most part was there for them the WHOLE time, and even without Simon, or Geri, or epic songs, the public was still there for Forever, and them. I remember I couldnt get with that album but I still loved them, and was there until they werent.

Spiceworld and Mel B.

I own all of their albums and absolutely am still a fan. Nostalgia, memories...though the only downside is that I've never gotten to see them in concert.

As much as I've always been into music, the excitement that the Spice Girls brought into my life as well as my family and many friends of mine, will probably never be felt again. When they came onto the scene, EVERYONE had an opinion of them, they were EVERYWHERE and that's what I miss the most about music in general and my childhood.

I LOVE the Spice Legends. They are soooooooooooo amazing. I used to be the biggest Spice Girl stan in the world. Baby was my favorite as a child, now it's Geri (we even share the same birthday!) It's hard to pick between Spice and Spice World. While Spice has some amazing songs on there (Wannabe, Who Do You Think You Are, Love Thing, Something Kinda Funny) I ADORE Spice World. I remember when the movie came out. I had all types of Spice Legend merchandise. I would watch that movie sooooo much to the point that I learned every word in it. I even wanted my hair cut like Victoria's! Forever is a decent album but it is DEF not their best. I just want one more Spice Girl reunion so bad... and hopefully I'll get it.

Spiceworld and Mel B.

I own all of their albums and absolutely am still a fan. Nostalgia, memories...though the only downside is that I've never gotten to see them in concert.

As much as I've always been into music, the excitement that the Spice Girls brought into my life as well as my family and many friends of mine, will probably never be felt again. When they came onto the scene, EVERYONE had an opinion of them, they were EVERYWHERE and that's what I miss the most about music in general and my childhood.

Same here, I NEEED to see them live. And I know EXACTLY what you mean about the excitement. Like I was a fan of theirs before Janet. They were the 1st artist where I remember the music scene where they didnt exist at all.....then the 1st single dropped and you were a NOBODY if you didnt know their name or could describe at least how 2 of them looked. And like I said (and they kept saying on the Giving You Everything) of the 5 theres no powerhouse vocalists (tho ofcourse Mel C isnt far off from that, and I'm sure some would consider her 1), they arent Janet or Paula types of dancers, they arent strikingly beautiful (even Victoria back in the day without the makeup, tho I always thought she & MelB were the most naturally gorgeous of the 5), but they had something together, something groups more talented & or beautiful dont have, they had something amazing, and I've NEVER seen anything like them since them. And I miss those days too, so badly. I just remember thinking they were gonna be like that forever, and they were gonna be that huge forever, I wanted that so bad.

• Upvote 1

I LOVE the Spice Legends. They are soooooooooooo amazing. I used to be the biggest Spice Girl stan in the world. Baby was my favorite as a child, now it's Geri (we even share the same birthday!) It's hard to pick between Spice and Spice World. While Spice has some amazing songs on there (Wannabe, Who Do You Think You Are, Love Thing, Something Kinda Funny) I ADORE Spice World. I remember when the movie came out. I had all types of Spice Legend merchandise. I would watch that movie sooooo much to the point that I learned every word in it. I even wanted my hair cut like Victoria's! Forever is a decent album but it is DEF not their best. I just want one more Spice Girl reunion so bad... and hopefully I'll get it.

I had a feeling about the last reunion, like there wasnt a SINGLE doubt in my mind that they would get back together, and they did, and it was epic.......tho I wish they did a whole new album. But I feel like they will again, I see it, the way they talk about it, but I wouldnt hold my breath until like....2015-2016, when it's their 20th Aniverssary, I'd really be shocked and a lil hurt if come 2017 theres nothing. But I'd Love for there to be a full length album and another tour.

All inclusive, the Spice Icons are easily the greatest girl group of all time. The Spice album is perhaps the best debut album from a group that I've ever heard. From covering pop to urban tracks, the Spice Girls were a multifaceted girl group both musically and sonically. "Last Time Lover", "Something Kinda Funny", and "Wannabe" were all tracks that were unheard of by a "pop" girl group. Spiceworld was just a more mature version of the debut, still very good, but I prefer the debut. The third album just sounds like them trying too hard. I guess they were trying to capitalize on the rise of R&B, and it came off as unauthentic.

• Upvote 1

Same here, I NEEED to see them live. And I know EXACTLY what you mean about the excitement. Like I was a fan of theirs before Janet. They were the 1st artist where I remember the music scene where they didnt exist at all.....then the 1st single dropped and you were a NOBODY if you didnt know their name or could describe at least how 2 of them looked. And like I said (and they kept saying on the Giving You Everything) of the 5 theres no powerhouse vocalists (tho ofcourse Mel C isnt far off from that, and I'm sure some would consider her 1), they arent Janet or Paula types of dancers, they arent strikingly beautiful (even Victoria back in the day without the makeup, tho I always thought she & MelB were the most naturally gorgeous of the 5), but they had something together, something groups more talented & or beautiful dont have, they had something amazing, and I've NEVER seen anything like them since them. And I miss those days too, so badly. I just remember thinking they were gonna be like that forever, and they were gonna be that huge forever, I wanted that so bad.

What they have is electric chemistry! When you bring the 5 together, there's a certain magic and they feed off of each other's energy. I liked their music of course, but it was also their image and personality that was a huge part of their success. Any time there was an interview or news article, I HAD to read and watch, because they always had something to say and it was always refreshing.

I never was and never will be ashamed of my love for the Spice Girls. I enjoy music that has meaning or makes me feel good and the Spice Girls have so much positivity and fun in their music!

• Upvote 1