The Immortals

TwistedElegance™

Chart whores and nostalgia heads gather 'round! You may look at this as another (tired) trip down memory lane or as a great place to discover some classic songs you may have overlooked. I know I've done a lot of these threads in the past but I love revisiting stats and reliving the music of years gone by. I wanted to do something a little different by creating my own sorta Hall Of Fame for who I consider to be the most significant figures in my musical landscape. Here I'll be covering chart profiles as well as posting passages from Fred Bronson's Billboard bible, including our favourite (and sometimes least favourite) artists, songwriters and producers. Enjoy!

Starting with one of the greatest songwriters of our lifetime.

jJwLx.jpg

Diane Warren

Songwriting was a form of expression before it was a craft for Diane Warren, who was 12 when her parents gave her a small Mexican guitar. She picked out melodies that popped into her head and discovered and all-consuming passion that would take over her life.

Her songs became as sought-after as those written by the great songwriters she idolized when she was growing up, like Holland-Dozier-Holland, Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil, and Jimmy Webb. For a very long period it was a rare Hot 100 that didn't feature at least one Diane Warren song bulleting up the chart.

Her initial success came from writing English lyrics to a French song that Americans came to know as 'Solitaire' by Laura Branigan. Then Suzanne Coston, music supervisor for the film The Last Dragon, asked Diane to contribute a song to the soundtrack. Warren wrote the upbeat 'Rhythm Of The Night', her next top 10 success, for DeBarge.

Mutual friends introduced her to songwriter Albert Hammond, and in one day they wrote 'Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now', a No. 1 hit for Starship. Hammond is also the co-writer on a track originally written for Tina Turner. Luther Ingram, Aswad, and Neil Diamond also recorded 'Don't Turn Around' before Sweden's Ace Of Base had a top 10 hit with it.

Warren says that 'Un-Break My Heart', her most successful song, just "flew" into her head. "Everything's been said, but if you can twist it around slightly and come up with a new slant on it, and if you write a great melody, you'll probably have a great song.'

Billboard's Top 30 Songs Written by DIANE WARREN

01. Un-Break My Heart - Toni Braxton (1996)

02. How Do I Live - LeAnnRimes (1997)

03. Because You Loved Me - Céline Dion (1996)

04. I Don't Want To Miss a Thing - Aerosmith (1998)

05. Have You Ever? - Brandy (1999)

06. Look Away - Chicago (1988)

07. Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now - Starship (1987)

08. For You I Will - Monica (1997)

09. Blame It On The Rain - Milli Vanilli (1989)

10. Don't Turn Around - Ace Of Base (1994)

11. When I See You Smile - Bad English (1989)

12. Love Will Lead You Back - Taylor Dayne (1990)

13. I Turn To You - Christina Aguilera (2000)

14. Saving Forever For You - Shanice (1993)

15. Rhythm Of The Night - DeBarge (1985)

16. If I Could Turn Back Time - Cher (1989)

17. I'll Never Get Over You (Getting Over Me) - Exposé [1993]

18. If You Asked Me To - Céline Dion (1992)

19. I Get Weak - Belinda Carlisle (1988)

20. The One I Gave My Heart To - Aaliyah (1997)

21. I Don't Wanna Live Without Your Love - Chicago (1988)

22. How Can We Be Lovers - Michael Bolton (1990)

23. Can't Fight The Moonlight - LeAnn Rimes (2000)

24. The Arms Of The One Who Loves You - Xscape (1998)

25. I'll Be Your Shelter - Taylor Dayne (1990)

26. Music Of My Heart - 'N Sync & Gloria Estefan (1999)

27. Set The Night To Music - Roberta Flack (1991)

28. Missing You Now - Michael Bolton (1992)

29. I Don't Want To Miss a Thing - Mark Chesnutt (1999)

30. Time, Love And Tenderness - Michael Bolton (1991)

• Upvote 1

PqlzH.jpg

Prince

"My songs are more about love than they are about sex," Prince once said. "I don't consider myself a great poet, or interpreter a la Moses. I just know I'm here to say what's on my mind, and I'm in a position where I can do that. It would be foolish for me to make up stories about going to Paris, knocking off the Queen, and things of that nature.'

Prince's first Hot 100 single, 'Soft And Wet', peaked at No. 92. A full year later, his second single went gold and climbed to No. 11. 'I Wanna Be Your Lover' established the young recording artist from Minneapolis, but he had already signed a three-album deal with Warner Bros. that allowed him to produce his own material.

The track that first put Prince Rogers Nelson in the top 10 was 'Little Red Corvette'. Then his previous single, '1999' was reissued and went to No. 12. That was followed by another top 10 hit, 'Delirious'. His real breakthrough, though, came with the release of his autobiographical film, Purple Rain. The soundtrack yielded five Hot 100 hits, including 'When Doves Cry'.

There was no official soundtrack to Prince's next film, Under The Cherry Moon, but the Parade album did feature songs from the movie. 'Kiss' was the first single released from the album; it is Prince's fourth most successful song.

On June 7, 1993 - his 35th birthday - Prince changed his name to HMqYV.png. The unpronounceable symbol caused many journalists to refer to him as "the artist formerly known as Prince." In May 2000, he became the artist formerly known as The Artist Formerly Known as Prince, when he reverted to being called "Prince".

Billboard's Top 30 Songs Written by PRINCE

01. When Doves Cry - Prince (1984)

02. Nothing Compares 2 U - Sinéad O'Connor (1990)

03. Let's Go Crazy - Prince & The Revolution (1984)

04. Kiss - Prince & The Revolution (1986)

05. Cream - Prince & The New Power Generation (1991)

06. The Most Beautiful Girl In The World - HMqYV.png (1994)

07. Purple Rain - Prince & The Revolution (1984)

08. I Feel For You - Chaka Khan (1984)

09. Raspberry Beret - Prince & The Revolution (1985)

10. Batdance - Prince (1989)

11. Diamonds And Pearls - Prince & The New Power Generation (1992)

12. Manic Monday - Bangles (1986)

13. U Got The Look - Prince (1987)

14. Pray - M.C. Hammer (1990)

15. 7 - Prince & The New Power Generation (1993)

16. Little Red Corvette - Prince (1983)

17. Sign 'O' The Times - Prince (1987)

18. Delirious - Prince (1983)

19. Round And Round - Tevin Campbell (1991)

20. Pop Life - Prince & The Revolution (1985)

21. I Wanna Be Your Lover - Prince (1980)

22. I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man - Prince (1987)

23. Thieves In The Temple - Prince (1990)

24. Alphabet St. - Prince (1988)

25. 1999 - Prince (1983)

26. A Love Bizarre - Sheila E. (1986)

27. Sugar Walls - Sheena Easton (1985)

28. I Would Die 4 U - Prince & The Revolution (1985)

29. Love...Thy Will Be Done - Martika (1991)

30. I Hate U - Prince (1995)

4HZv4.jpg

TLC

The three members of Atlanta's TLC soard to the heights of the Hot 100 but sunk to the depths in their personal lives, having to deal with arson charges, bankruptcy, and death in a foreign country.

Tionne "T-Boz" Watkins, Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes, and Rozonda "Chilli" Thomas were managed by R&B singer Pebbles, who was married at the time to writer/producer/record label owner L.A. Reid. Reid and his partner Babyface signed TLC to their LaFace imprint and the three women scored with their first chart single, 'Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg', followed by another hit, 'Baby-Baby-Baby', and another, 'What About Your Friends', all in 1992. Two years later, Lopes was charged with burning down the house of boyfriend Andre Rison, an NFL wide receiver. She received five years' probation.

Despite that setback, TLC's second album yielded four big hits: 'Creep', 'Red Light Special', 'Waterfalls', and 'Diggin' On You'.

The three women filed for bankruptcy in 1995 and their next album wasn't released until 1999. Their fans still loved them, and TLC scored two more No. 1 hits, 'No Scrubs' and 'Unpretty'.

In April 2002, Lopes was on vacation in Honduras when she lost control of the SUV she was driving. She suffered severe head trauma and died, just 30 years old, effectively bringing TLC's story to a sad ending.

Billboard's Top 10 Songs of TLC

01. Creep - TLC (1995)

02. Waterfalls - TLC (1995)

03. No Scrubs - TLC (1999)

04. Baby-Baby-Baby - TLC (1992)

05. Unpretty - TLC (1999)

06. Red Light Special - TLC (1995)

07. What About Your Friends - TLC (1992)

08. Diggin' On You - TLC (1995)

09. Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg - TLC (1992)

10. Not Tonight - Lil' Kim feat. Da Brat, Left Eye, Missy Elliott & Angie Martinez (1997)

wI07E.jpg

The Jacksons

All nine of Joe and Katharine Jackson's children have been represented on the Billboard Hot 100. Michael, Jermaine, Tito, Jackie, Marlon, Randy, Janet, LaToya, and Rebbie, in that order, have had singles enter the chart.

First there was the Jackson 5, featuring the lead vocals of 11-year-old Michael supported by his four eldest brothers. The group began as a trio with Sigmund Esco (Jackie), Toriano Adaryll (Tito), and Jermaine LaJaune. Marlon David and Michael Joe joined later. Michael was only five when the brothers - named the Jackson 5 by a neighbor in Gary, Indiana - made their professional debut in a local nightclub. They became well known to some of Motown's biggest acts by supporting them in local shows, and eventually Gladys Knight and Bobby Taylor put a word in Berry Gordy's ear about the talented brothers.

After a couple of singles on the Gary-based Steeltown label, the group was signed to Motown and moved to Los Angeles for a year of rehearsals. They opened for Diana Ross & The Supremes at the Forum in Inglewood, California, and in the fall of 1969, Motown released their first single, 'I Want You Back'. It was the first of four consecutive No. 1 songs, including 'ABC', 'The Love You Save', and 'I'll Be There'. The latter is the most successful Hot 100 single by the five brothers.

In May 1975, four of the Jacksons departed Motown for a new home at Epic Records; Jermaine, married to Berry Gordy's daughter Hazel, stayed behind. Motown claimed the rights to the name "Jackson 5", so with youngest brother Randy now on board, the brothers called themselves the Jacksons.

Michael had already been recording as a solo artist for Motown, the title song from the movie Ben had been a No. 1 hit for him. While filming The Wiz, he approached Quincy Jones about producing his first solo LP for Epic. Off The Wall featured two No. 1 hits, 'Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough' and 'Rock With You'. The first single from Michael's next album, Thriller, was 'The Girl Is Mine', a duet with Paul McCartney. Michael returned the favor by guest-starring on McCartney's 'Say, Say, Say', the most successful Billboard song for Michael. Thriller, with seven top 10 singles, became the best-selling record of all time, and Bad was the first album to yield five No. 1 hits.

Jermaine's first solo chart single was 'That's How Love Goes' in the fall of 1972, just one year after the release of Michael's 'Got To Be There'. His next Hot 100 single was a remake of Shep & The Limelites' 1961 recording, 'Daddy's Home'. Jermaine's version peaked at No. 9 on the Hot 100. Jermaine's most successful solo effort was 'Let's Get Serious', a song written by Stevie Wonder and Lee Garrett for Wonder to record. Jermaine's father-in-law heard the song and decided that Jermaine should record it instead. Jermaine's final chart single on Motown was 'Let Me Tickle Your Fancy', a collaboration with Devo released in 1982. With Berry's blessing, Jermaine left Motown and signed with Clive Davis at Arista in 1984. That same year, Jermaine rejoined his brothers for the Jacksons' Victory album and tour. The LP included 'State Of Shock', with Michael duetting with Mick Jagger. It is No. 38 on the Jacksons' top 50.

Janet Jackson was only seven when she appeared with her brothers onstage at the MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas. She signed with A&M Records in November 1982. Her first two albums failed to produce any top 40 hits, but that became irrelevant when her third LP, Control, hit the streets. Produced by Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, the album rapidly yielded five top five hits: 'What Have You Done For Me Lately' (No. 4), 'Nasty' (No. 3), 'When I Think Of You' (No. 1), 'Control' (No. 5), and 'Let's Wait Awhile' (No. 2). Janet kept up the barrage of hits with the Rhythm Nation 1814 album. She then signed a $32 million, three-album deal with Virgin in March 1991, the largest contract for any artist to that date. Her 1993 single, 'That's The Way Love Goes', is the most successful Jackson family single in Billboard history.

LaToya Jackson had recorded for Polydor before moving to the Private I label, where she charted on the Hot 100 with 'Heart Don't Lie' (No. 56 in 1984). The eldest Jackson sibling, Rebbie, went to No. 24 in 1984 with 'Centipede', a song written and produced by her brother Michael.

Billboard's Top 50 Songs of THE JACKSONS

01. That's The Way Love Goes - Janet Jackson (1993)

02. All For You - Janet Jackson (2001)

03. Say, Say, Say - Paul McCartney & Michael Jackson (1983)

04. Together Again - Janet Jackson (1998)

05. Again - Janet Jackson (1993)

06. Billie Jean - Michael Jackson (1983)

07. Black Or White - Michael Jackson (1991)

08. I'll Be There - Jackson 5 (1970)

09. Doesn't Really Matter - Janet Jackson (2000)

10. Rock With You - Michael Jackson (1980)

11. Beat It - Michael Jackson (1983)

12. ABC - Jackson 5 (1970)

13. You Are Not Alone - Michael Jackson (1995)

14. Escapade - Janet Jackson (1990)

15. Miss You Much - Janet Jackson (1989)

16. Any Time, Any Place - Janet Jackson (1994)

17. I Want You Back - Jackson 5 (1970)

18. Runaway - Janet Jackson (1995)

19. The Love You Save - Jackson 5 (1970)

20. The Girl Is Mine - Michael Jackson & Paul McCartney (1983)

21. Remember The Time - Michael Jackson (1992)

22. Never Can Say Goodbye - Jackson 5 (1971)

23. Man In The Mirror - Michael Jackson (1988)

24. When I Think Of You - Janet Jackson (1986)

25. Dancing Machine - Jackson 5 (1974)

26. Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough - Michael Jackson (1979)

27. Love Will Never Do (Without You) - Janet Jackson (1991)

28. I Just Can't Stop Loving You - Michael Jackson & Siedah Garrett (1987)

29. Someone To Call My Lover - Janet Jackson (2001)

30. Black Cat - Janet Jackson (1990)

31. If - Janet Jackson (1993)

32. Bad - Michael Jackson (1987)

33. The Way You Make Me Feel - Michael Jackson (1988)

34. Rockin' Robin - Michael Jackson (1972)

35. Dirty Diana - Michael Jackson (1988)

36. Rhythm Nation - Janet Jackson (1990)

37. Let's Wait Awhile - Janet Jackson (1987)

38. State Of Shock - The Jacksons (1984)

39. Ben - Michael Jackson (1972)

40. Come Back To Me - Janet Jackson (1990)

41. What's It Gonna Be?! - Busta Rhymes feat. Janet Jackson (1999)

42. You Want This - Janet Jackson (1994)

43. The Best Things In Life Are Free - Luther Vandross & Janet Jackson with BBD & Ralph Tresvant (1992)

44. Mama's Pearl - Jackson 5 (1971)

45. Nasty - Janet Jackson (1986)

46. Because Of Love - Janet Jackson (1994)

47. I Get Lonely - Janet Jackson feat. BLACKstreet (1998)

48. What Have You Done For Me Lately - Janet Jackson (1986)

49. Alright - Janet Jackson (1990)

50. Got To Be There - Michael Jackson (1971)

p1bII.jpg

Queen

Before there was Queen there was Smile, a group formed in 1967 by guitarist Brian May and drummer Roger Taylor. In 1970, that duo teamed up with the singer of a heavy metal band known as Wreckage. His name was Freddie Mercury. With the addition of bassist John Deacon, Queen was a complete unit. They avoided the club circuit in England, playing for invited guests at private gigs, and only later became regulars at the Marquee Club. They struggled for two years, until producers Roy Thomas Baker and John Anthony heard a demo tape. Many labels were approached, but nothing happened until EMI offered a contract.

Queen dented the U.K. singles chart with 'Seven Seas of Rhye', but it wasn't until the release of 'Killer Queen' that the quartet made an impression in America. In Great Britain, the group had its biggest hit with the 1975 epic, 'Bohemian Rhapsody'. The single ruled the charts for nine weeks in its original chart run (and would add another five weeks to that total after Mercury's death in 1991). In the United States, 'Bohemian Rhapsody' also had two chart runs, peaking at No. 9 in 1975 and No. 2 in 1992, thanks to its inclusion in the film Wayne's World. Queen scored two No. 1 hits on the Hot 100: 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love' and 'Another One Bites The Dust', both in 1980.

Billboard's Top 10 Songs of QUEEN

01. Another One Bites The Dust - Queen (1980)

02. Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen (1980)

03. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen (1976)

04. We Are The Champions/We Will Rock You - Queen (1978)

05. Somebody To Love - Queen (1977)

06. You're My Best Friend - Queen (1976)

07. Killer Queen - Queen (1975)

08. Body Language - Queen (1982)

09. Radio Ga-Ga - Queen (1984)

10. Under Pressure - Queen & David Bowie (1982)

Excellent topic. :)

Diane is the baddest bitch in the game. She's the only writer with enough balls to put her foot down and say, "NO, BEYONCE. Them lyrics are FINE. Sang it or lose it."

One of the songs I was pleasantly surprised to learn that she wrote was Can't Fight The Moonlight. At that point, I had only known her for her ballads so I was like, "Whaaat?" lol

• Upvote 1

Excellent topic. :)

Diane is the baddest bitch in the game. She's the only writer with enough balls to put her foot down and say, "NO, BEYONCE. Them lyrics are FINE. Sang it or lose it."

One of the songs I was pleasantly surprised to learn that she wrote was Can't Fight The Moonlight. At that point, I had only known her for her ballads so I was like, "Whaaat?" lol

Thanks, shady.

Yes, Diane is a boss. :lol::wub:

qCUQY.png

Missy Elliott

Melissa Elliott, born in Portsmouth, Virginia, was lead singer and prime songwriter for Sista, and R&B singing group in the '80s produced by Elliott's friend, Timothy Mosley. DeVante Swing of Jodeci liked their sound and signed them to his Swing Mob label (and came up with Mosley's nickname, Timbaland). An album was recorded but never released. Undaunted, Elliott and Timbaland continued to write and produce for other artists, including SWV, 702, and Aaliyah.

Elliott's work was noticed by more than one label but she signed with Elektra in 1996 and was given her own imprint, The Gold Mind. Her first five albums all went platinum, making her the best-selling female rapper of the day. Her first top 10 single as lead artist was 'Hot Boyz' in 1999. 'Get Ur Freak On' also reached the top 10, in 2001, but her career-making single turned out to be 'Work It', which held down the No. 2 spot for 10 weeks in 2002, equaling the record set by Foreigner's 'Waiting For a Girl Like You' for the longest-running No. 2 song in Hot 100 history.

Billboard's Top 10 Songs of MISSY ELLIOTT

01. Work It - Missy Elliott (2002)

02. 1, 2 Step - Ciara feat. Missy Elliott (2005)

03. Lose Control - Missy Elliott feat. Ciara & Fat Man Scoop (2005)

04. Hot Boyz - Missy Elliott feat. Nas, Eve & Q-Tip (2000)

05. Get Ur Freak On - Missy Elliott (2001)

06. Make It Hot - Nicole feat. Missy Elliott & Mocha (1998)

07. Trippin' - Total feat. Missy Elliott (1998)

08. Not Tonight - Lil' Kim feat. Da Brat, Left Eye, Missy Elliott & Angie Martinez (1997)

09. Gossip Folks - Missy Elliott feat. Ludacris (2003)

10. Sock It 2 Me - Missy Elliott feat. Da Brat (1997)

8Jtwv.jpg

George Michael

Georgios Panayiotou was 12 years old when he met Andrew Ridgely at the school in Bushey, England, where they were both students. As teenagers, they formed a band called the Executives, then signed with a small British label, Vision, as a duo called Wham!

After a few singles that did well in the U.K. but not in America, Wham! relesed their breakthrough hit, 'Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go'. It went to No. 1 in the U.S. as well as the U.K. 'Careless Whisper' was released as a solo single by George at home, but in America, the label credit read "Wham! featuring George Michael". Written while he was riding on a bus at age 16, 'Careless Whisper' is Michael's second most successful Hot 100 single.

The pair split in the fall of 1985, and Michael went to work on his first solo effort. It was his opportunity to mature beyond the bubblegum parameters set by Wham! A hint of what was to come was revealed in 1987, when Michael teamed with the first lady of soul, Aretha Franklin, on an '80s-style Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell-type duet, 'I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me)'. Six weeks after that single ruled the Hot 100, Michael's solo 'I Want Your Sex' debuted. The controversial song was banned by the BBC, the video re-edited three times by MTV, and refused airplay by many U.S. radio stations. The diminished airplay kept the song from reaching pole position; it stalled at No. 2.

But 'I Want Your Sex' served its purpose, transforming Michael's image. And if anyone doubted he was a serious musician, they just had to listen to the album that followed. It was titled Faith, after the next single, which spent four weeks at No. 1 at the end of 1987. And from that same album, Michael earned three more chart-toppers: 'Father Figure', 'One More Try', and 'Monkey'.

Michael would record only one more album for Columbia, Listen Without Prejudice. A lengthy lawsuit with parent company Sony followed, and George eventually signed with DreamWorks in the U.S. and Virgin outside of North America. The Older album yielded several hits internationally, but in America only two titles were significant hits: 'Jesus To A Child' and 'Fastlove'.

On April 7, 1998, Michael was arrested in Beverly Hills for an alleged lewd sex act in a public bathroom. Four days later, he acknowledged being gay in a CNN interview. In October of that year, he released 'Outside', inspired by his arrest.

Billboard's Top 20 Songs of GEORGE MICHAEL

01. Faith - George Michael (1987)

02. Careless Whisper - Wham! feat. George Michael (1985)

03. One More Try - George Michael (1988)

04. Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go - Wham! (1984)

05. Father Figure - George Michael (1988)

06. Everything She Wants - Wham! (1985)

07. Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me - George Michael & Elton John (1992)

08. Monkey - George Michael (1988)

09. I Knew You Were Waiting For Me - Aretha Franklin & George Michael (1987)

10. Praying For Time - George Michael (1990)

11. I Want Your Sex - George Michael (1987)

12. I'm Your Man - Wham! (1986)

13. Freedom - Wham! (1985)

14. Too Funky - George Michael (1992)

15. Fastlove - George Michael (1996)

16. Freedom '90 - George Michael (1990)

17. A Different Corner - George Michael (1986)

18. Kissing A Fool - George Michael (1988)

19. The Edge Of Heaven - Wham! (1986)

20. Jesus To A Child - George Michael (1996)

0aMb4.jpg

Narada Michael Walden

Michael Warden was 19 when he joined Deacon Williams and the Soul Revival Troupe. After hearing John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra, he became interested in jazz fusion, and at 21, he replaced drummer Billy Cobham in that outfit. Walden also became interested in the teachings of McLaughlin's guru, Sri Chinmoy, who gave him the new first name of Narada ("supreme musician").

Walden worked with Jeff Beck and Weather Report, then recorded solo albums. His first experience as a producer was with jazz trumpeter Don Cherry; next he worked with pop artist Stacy Lattisaw. For Arista, he produced albums for Angela Bofill and Phyllis Hyman before taking on Aretha Franklin's Who's Zoomin' Who? He was planning to record 'Freeway Of Love' for himself, but gave it to Aretha instead.

After working with Whitney Houston, Narada was called in by Tommy Mottola of Columbia Records to produce Mariah Carey. 'Vision Of Love' started her career with a No. 1 hit.

Billboard's Top 10 Songs Produced by NARADA MICHAEL WALDEN

01. Vision Of Love - Mariah Carey (1990)

02. I Love Your Smile - Shanice (1992)

03. I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me) - Whitney Houston [1987]

04. Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now - Starship (1987)

05. So Emotional - Whitney Houston (1988)

06. All The Man That I Need - Whitney Houston (1991)

07. How Will I Know - Whitney Houston (1986)

08. Where Do Broken Hearts Go - Whitney Houston (1988)

09. I Don't Wanna Cry - Mariah Carey (1991)

10. I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me) - Aretha Franklin & George Michael [1987]

JViYU.jpg

Stevie Wonder

Stevie Wonder's initial hit was the first live single to go to No. 1 on the Hot 100. There was already a studio version of 'Fingertips' when producer Clarence Paul cut a version during a show at the Regal Theater in Chicago. Paul was escorting Wonder offstage when the youngster broke away and resumed singing 'Fingertips'. The bass player had already left the stage, so Mary Wells' bassist jumped in but had to ask, "What key, what key?"

"We're not sure why the record was such a big hit, but leaving that mistake in didn't hurt," Motown founder Berry Gordy wrote in his autobiography To Be Loved. "There are certain kinds of mistakes I love."

Stevie was dubbed "the 12-year-old genius" early in his career and, while he may have grown older, the term "genius" is as applicable today as ever. Steveland Morris was born blind on May 13, 1950, in Saginaw, Michigan. Later, he used his father's last name, Judkins. The family moved to Detroit, where Stevie grew up listening to the city's most popular radio stations. His first instrument was a six-hole harmonica, followed by drums and piano. At nine, he formed a duo with best friend John Glover, who had a cousin named Ronnie White, newly signed to Tamla as one of the Miracles. White introduced Stevie to producer Brian Holland, who interrupted Gordy's dinner to urge him to sign the little wonder.

Wonder renegotiated his contract at 21, and shortly after began producing a series of more mature albums, including Talking Book, Innervisions, and Songs In The Key Of Life. His most successful solo chart single, 'I Just Called To Say I Love You', is an Oscar-winner from the soundtrack of The Woman In Red.

Billboard's Top 30 Songs of STEVIE WONDER

01. Ebody And Ivory - Paul McCartney & Stevie Wonder (1982)

02. I Just Called To Say I Love You - Stevie Wonder (1984)

03. Fingertips - Pt. 2 - Stevie Wonder (1963)

04. Sir Duke - Stevie Wonder (1977)

05. Superstition - Stevie Wonder (1973)

06. Part-Time Lover - Stevie Wonder (1985)

07. I Wish - Stevie Wonder (1977)

08. For Once In My Life - Stevie Wonder (1968)

09. You Haven't Done Nothin' - Stevie Wonder (1974)

10. You Are The Sunshine Of My Life - Stevie Wonder (1973)

11. I Was Made To Love Her - Stevie Wonder (1967)

12. Send One Your Love - Stevie Wonder (1979)

13. Boogie On Reggae Woman - Stevie Wonder (1975)

14. That Girl - Stevie Wonder (1982)

15. Signed, Sealed, Deliverd I'm Yours - Stevie Wonder (1970)

16. Master Blaster (Jammin') - Stevie Wonder (1980)

17. Uptight (Everything's Alright) - Stevie Wonder [1966]

18. My Cherie Amour - Stevie Wonder (1969)

19. Higher Ground - Stevie Wonder (1973)

20. Living For The City - Stevie Wonder (1974)

21. Yester-Me, Yester-You, Yesterday - Stevie Wonder (1969)

22. I Ain't Gonna Stand For It - Stevie Wonder (1981)

23. If You Really Love Me - Stevie Wonder (1971)

24. Go Home - Stevie Wonder (1986)

25. Do I Do - Stevie Wonder (1982)

26. Shoo-Be-Doo-Be-Doo-Da-Day - Stevie Wonder (1968)

27. Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing - Stevie Wonder (1974)

28. A Place In The Sun - Stevie Wonder (1966)

29. Heaven Help Us All - Stevie Wonder (1970)

30. Blowin' In The Wind - Stevie Wonder (1966)

Mq2XN.jpg

Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis

In January 1981, Terry Lewis asked Jimmy Jam to join his band, Flyte Tyme. The other members included Alexander O'Neal, Jesse Johnson, and Morris Day. When Prince offered Day a recording contract, he brought along the other members, who shortened their name to the Time.

Jam and Lewis moonlighted as producers, against Prince's wishes. When they were stranded by a snowstorm in Atlanta while producing 'Just Be Good To Me' for the S.O.S. Band, they missed a concert in San Antonio. Prince fined each of them a month's pay and then fired them from the Time. That gave them the opportunity to become serious about producing.

Their early hits included 'Tender Love' for the Force M.D.'s and 'Saturday Love' for Alexander O'Neal and Cherrelle. Then John McClain of A&M Records asked them to produce Janet Jackson's third album. Control yielded six hit singles, including a No. 1 hit, 'When I Think Of You'. Janet surpassed that feat with Rhythm Nation 1814, which contained four chart-toppers. When Jackson signed a $32 million pact with Virgin Records, Jam and Lewis produced the first album for her new label. Two of the producers' top 10 singles can be found on that Virgin debut, janet.

The producers' initial success with Janet resulted in a barrage of requests from artists who wanted to work with Jam and Lewis. The duo turned down most of these invitations, althought they did consent to work with the Human League and Herb Alpert. They also remixed George Michael's 'Monkey' and were given producers' credit on the single.

Billboard's Top 30 Songs Produced by JIMMY JAM AND TERRY LEWIS

01. On Bended Knee - Boyz II Men (1994)

02. That's The Way Love Goes - Janet Jackson (1993)

03. All For You - Janet Jackson (2001)

06. Doesn't Really Matter - Janet Jackson (2000)

07. U Remind Me - Usher (2001)

08. 4 Seasons Of Loneliness - Boyz II Men (1997)

09. Escapade - Janet Jackson (1990)

10. Miss You Much - Janet Jackson (1989)

11. Any Time, Any Place - Janet Jackson (1994)

12. Runaway - Janet Jackson (1995)

13. Romantic - Karyn White (1991)

14. When I Think Of You - Janet Jackson (1986)

15. Human - Human League (1986)

16. Love Will Never Do (Without You) - Janet Jackson [1991]

17. Monkey - George Michael (1988)

18. Thank God I Found You - Mariah Carey feat. Joe & 98° (2000)

19. Someone To Call My Lover - Janet Jackson (2001)

20. Rub You The Right Way - Johnny Gill (1990)

21. If - Janet Jackson (1993)

22. Rhythm Nation - Janet Jackson (1990)

23. Let's Wait Awhile - Janet Jackson (1987)

24. I'm Still In Love With You - New Edition (1997)

25. Come Back To Me - Janet Jackson (1990)

26. You Want This - Janet Jackson (1994)

27. Sensitivity - Ralph Tresvant (1991)

28. The Best Things In Life Are Free - Luther Vandross & Janet Jackson with BBD & Ralph Tresvant (1992)

29. Nasty - Janet Jackson (1986)

30. Because Of Love - Janet Jackson (1994)

Mq2XN.jpg

Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis

Billboard's Top 30 Songs Produced by JIMMY JAM AND TERRY LEWIS

01. On Bended Knee - Boyz II Men (1994)

02. That's The Way Love Goes - Janet Jackson (1993)

03. All For You - Janet Jackson (2001)

*pokes needles into Boyz II Men voodoo dolls*

4VKVs.jpg

Madonna

Madonna Louise Veronica Ciccone was named after her mother, who died when she was six. With her five brothers and two sisters, she was raised in Michigan by her father, an engineer with Chrysler. Madonna studied piano and ballet and acted in plays in Catholic school. After a year at the University of Michigan on a dance scholarship, she moved to New York City, where she held a number of jobs, including working in a Times Square doughnut shop. She also did some modeling.

Madonna won another scholarship, this one to study at Alvin Alley's dance studio, and a brief detour took her to Paris, where she sang backing vocals for Patrick Hernandez, who had already scored an international hit with 'Born To Be Alive'. She returned to Manhattan and formed a band, the Breakfast Club, with her boyfriend, Dan Gilroy.

In 1980, Madonna left that group and formed Emmenon, later shortened to Emmy. Her big break came in 1982 when Mark Kamins, a DJ at her Danceteria, heard a tape she made with Stephen Bray, a friend from her college days in Michigan. Kamins introduced Madonna to Michael Rosenblatt of Sire Records, who liked her demo enough to play it for label founder Seymour Stein.

Recovering from endocarditis, Stein heard Madonna's cassette while in the hospital. After listening to the song 'Everybody', Stein told Rosenblatt he wanted to sign Madonna immediately. He had a new robe brought from home and asked Madonna to come to his hospital room to seal the deal.

Her first two Sire singles, 'Everybody' and 'Physical Attraction', were dance hits but failed to reach the Hot 100. 'Holiday' remedied that, debuting the week of October 29, 1983, and peaking at No. 16. Her second chart entry, 'Borderline', climbed to No. 10 and initiated a string of 17 consecutive top 10 hits that stretched to 'Cherish' in 1989.

The first No. 1 single was 'Like a Virgin', which began a six-week reign in December 1984. The song had been written by Billy Steinberg and Tom Kelly for a male singer, and producer Nile Rodgers didn't want Madonna to record it because his initial reaction was that the song didn't have a great hook. But after four days he couldn't get it out of his head; realizing he had been wrong, he apologized to Madonna and said they should record it after all.

Madonna was back on top of the Hot 100 in May 1985 with a song from the film Vision Quest. Songwriters John Bettis and Jon Lind were shocked when they found out who was going to sing their composition on the soundtrack. At the time, they only knew her dance song, 'Borderline', and their reaction was, "Can she sing a song like this?"

As Madonna continued her chart conquest, it was obvious that she had a talent for reinventing herself with each new album, never repeating what she had done in the past. At the same time, she built a parallel career in films, with roles in Desperately Seeking Susan, Shanghai Surprise, and Who's That Girl. Her marriage to Sean Penn in 1985 gave the tabloids plenty to write about, as did their divorce in 1989.

Her film roles continued in the new decade with the 1990 release Dick Tracy, in which she played opposite Warren Beatty and sang tunes composed for the movie by Stephen Sondheim, including the Academy Award-winning Best Song, 'Sooner Or Later'. Her ultimate film role would hit screens in 1997, when she starred in the cinematic adaptation of the stage musical Evita. For the second time, she sang vocals on an Oscar-winning song, as the new composition 'You Must Love Me' captured the Academy Award.

In 1995, Madonna scored the longest-running No. 1 of her career when she collaborated with Babyface on 'Take a Bow'. He had already written the music but didn't know what to do with it. "I played it for Madonna and she immediately heard something in it", he recalls. "She clearly gave the song direction. We both wrote lyrics but she was the driving force." Babyface and Madonna agreed that the first line of the lyrics should be the title, even though the words "take a bow" are never repeated. The single spent seven weeks in pole position.

In 2000, Madonna collected her 12th No. 1 single with 'Music', which she co-wrote and co-produced with a Swiss-born musician from France, Mirwais Ahmadzai. The first two days of recording proved frustrating, as Mirwais spoke little English and Madonna little French. She says it was so difficult to communicate that she wanted to tear her hair out, but tensions eased as the two got to know each other. "I was intent on making it work," Madonna said in Billboard, "because I truly believe that man's a genius."

Billboard's Top 50 Songs of MADONNA

01. Take a Bow - Madonna (1995)

02. Music - Madonna (2000)

03. Like a Virgin - Madonna (1984)

04. I'll Remember - Madonna (1994)

05. Vogue - Madonna (1990)

06. Crazy For You - Madonna (1985)

07. Justify My Love - Madonna (1991)

08. Like a Prayer - Madonna (1989)

09. This Used To Be My Playground - Madonna (1992)

10. Papa Don't Preach - Madonna (1986)

11. Live To Tell - Madonna (1986)

12. Open Your Heart - Madonna (1987)

13. Who's That Girl - Madonna (1987)

14. Frozen - Madonna (1998)

15. Secret - Madonna (1994)

16. Material Girl - Madonna (1985)

17. Causing a Commotion - Madonna (1987)

18. Express Yourself - Madonna (1989)

19. Cherish - Madonna (1989)

20. Don't Tell Me - Madonna (2001)

21. True Blue - Madonna (1986)

22. La Isla Bonita - Madonna (1987)

23. You'll See - Madonna (1995)

24. Lucky Star - Madonna (1984)

25. Borderline - Madonna (1984)

26. Hung Up - Madonna (2005)

27. Deeper And Deeper - Madonna (1993)

28. 4 Minutes - Madonna feat. Justin Timberlake & Timbaland (2008)

29. Erotica - Madonna (1992)

30. Angel - Madonna (1985)

31. Rain - Madonna (1993)

32. You Must Love Me - Madonna (1996)

33. Die Another Day - Madonna (2002)

34. The Power Of Goodbye - Madonna (1998)

35. Dress You Up - Madonna (1985)

36. Keep It Together - Madonna (1990)

37. Ray Of Light - Madonna (1998)

38. Beautiful Stranger - Madonna (1999)

39. Don't Cry For Me Argentina - Madonna (1997)

40. Rescue Me - Madonna (1991)

41. Holiday - Madonna (1983)

42. Oh Father - Madonna (1990)

43. Hanky Panky - Madonna (1990)

44. What It Feels Like For a Girl - Madonna (2001)

45. American Pie - Madonna (2000)

46. Human Nature - Madonna (1995)

47. Me Against The Music - Britney Spears feat. Madonna (2003)

48. Give Me All Your Luvin' - Madonna feat. Nicki Minaj & M.I.A. (2012)

49. American Life - Madonna (2003)

50. Bedtime Story - Madonna (1995)