Janet: Themes, Concepts and Legacy

Lenzo88

What does Janet Jackson mean to me??? She is a leading visionary of the music video era, a musical icon who has forever pushed lyrical boundaries with revolutionary productions, concepts and themes and easily one of the most electrifying female performers of ALL. TIME!!! 

I’m making this thread in response to some shocking new developments within the fandom that I’ve learned. Apparently, there are Janet fans who don’t really care if Janet has nothing to say for an album as long as she has a few bops on there....that’s where I say....STOP!!!

Just look at Janet’s discography alone and you can see why her music had stood the test of time like her contemporaries! Micheal pushed boundaries musically and visually FIRST, making him the pioneer of music videos and modern day pop music, Whitney had a timeless and one of the most powerful pop voices of all time, Madonna pushed the envelop in terms of sex, politics, violence, etc. for controversies and keep people talking! But Janet? She’s stood the test of time because she was one of the artist to treat her albums as not just art but conceptual projects that would define how the modern female pop star would be presented. Just look at “Rated R” and most recently, Beyonce’s “Lemonade” which are considered their respective artists’ “Velvet Rope” moment. The red hair, piercings, dark subject matter and bleak musical tone empathize the impact of that alone n era of her career alone! That’s why it’s so important that Janet, with each album, NEEDS to mean something or be inspired by where she is in her life or the results would be...frantically dire! 😫 She’s been doing it since “Control” and that’s why her lengendart career has lasted so long because when Janet releases an album; it comes with not only thought provoking lyrics of where she is at the time but visually, she has no choice but to reinvent herself to accurately represent her state of mind at the time. Meaning her personal and political lyrics are just as essential as her iconic choreography and impeccable execution of her dance moves! To say you just want an album of bops and nothing more means you want a Janet album just as soulless and meaningless as her pre-“Control” work or her “DJ”-“Discipline” slump of her career. See for yourself thematically what each of her albums were about: 

Janet Jackson and Dreamstreet: Cause Daddy Said so! 🤪

Control: Independence 

Rhythm Nation: Social Issues

janet.: Feminity/Sexuality/Love

The Velvet Rope: Depression/Introspection

All For You: The joys of Singlehood

Damita Jo: The multiple personalities within Janet....or so she says....😒

20 Y.O.: Celebrating 20 Years of Success/Jermaine’s Gonna Give me a hit!

Discipline: Her focus and concentration in every aspect of her life from her career to love....but nothing was written by her at All!!! 

Unbreakable: Maturity and retrospection as well as the ties that make us stronger.

The deeper and more meaningful the album, the better effort we get from Janet completely as an artist, performer and groundbreaker! Nothing interesting and really amazing came from albums like “DJ”-“Discipline” besides a few exceptions like the Rock Wit U Video/choreography, All Nite’s Video/choreography, etc. Don’t fool yourselves into feeding into Janet’s uninspired tenure, when deep down you know you want the full Janet package: stunning lyrics, awesome dance moves, wonderful videos and glorious visuals for years to come. If this upcoming album continues where “Unbreakable” left off and is a genuine reinvention of this Pop Queen, I’m sure most, of not all, will be impressed no matter what, cause she’s back to consistently doing Janetat her best! 😎🏾

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Lenzo88 said:

Apparently, there are Janet fans who don’t really care if Janet has nothing to say for an album as long as she has a few bops on there....that’s where I say....STOP!!!

No self-respecting fan has ever stated that and if they did, they’re not fans.. dont @ me

You also mishandled AFY’s description... it’s much more than that. Up & downs of ending a relationship and being single 

38 minutes ago, Game For Now said:

No self-respecting fan has ever stated that and if they did, they’re not fans.. dont @ me

You also mishandled AFY’s description... it’s much more than that. Up & downs of ending a relationship and being single 

Mmmm splitting hairs! The overarching theme of “All For You” is more joyful and the freedom that comes from being single. Sure there are songs like ....sigh...”Truth” with her lamenting her marriage with Rene as well as considering straight up revenge ala “Son of A Gun”, it’s overall light-hearted nature and tone makes it more optimistic than how you’re describing it. 😳😱🤔

Hmmmm this thread has given me an idea to do a musical anthology book of Janet’s career one day. Each chapter being an extensive look into the themes, concepts and creative process behind each album until her final one one day! Aka a Janet Jackson bible for all die hard fans!!! 😃😆😆😎🏾

• Like 1

Damita Jo could've been so much more if she took a different route, musically, considering the messy political climate in America and how she became a social outcast for existing. It was still a cute album, but that was when Janet really stopped having anything to say. Like we get it you have a sexual side to you that we've never seen ? 20 YO was an ugly mess and could've been so much more if she did something actually about Control and her past 20 years instead of the messy 2000s R&B mess we got. Discipline was just.... Unbreakable was her first album where she actually had something to say in awhile. It was more reflective and grown and made an okay album, but an okay album that was at least done with love and meaning in mind. 

8 hours ago, Damitajo said:

Damita Jo could've been so much more if she took a different route, musically, considering the messy political climate in America and how she became a social outcast for existing. It was still a cute album, but that was when Janet really stopped having anything to say. Like we get it you have a sexual side to you that we've never seen ? 20 YO was an ugly mess and could've been so much more if she did something actually about Control and her past 20 years instead of the messy 2000s R&B mess we got. Discipline was just.... Unbreakable was her first album where she actually had something to say in awhile. It was more reflective and grown and made an okay album, but an okay album that was at least done with love and meaning in mind. 

Damita Jo would've been just as successful as All For You if it wasn't for Viacom banning Jan.

There would've been at least one #1 song on the Billboard Hot 100.