R.I.P. Shirley Temple

jarrylf

Shirley Temple dies at 85

Shirley Temple, the movie and television actress and former adorable curly-haired child star, has died at her home in California, her family said in a statement. She was 85.

Publicist Cheryl Kagan said Temple, known in private life as Shirley Temple Black, died Monday surrounded by family at her home near San Francisco.

"We salute her for a life of remarkable achievements as an actor, as a diplomat, and most importantly as our beloved mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, and adored wife for fifty-five years of the late and much missed Charles Alden Black," the family statement said.

The statement said that the star known as "America's Little Darling" died from natural causes at 10:57 p.m. Pacific standard time on Monday.

A talented singer, dancer and actress, Shirley Temple was America's top box-office draw from 1935 — the year she turned 7 — until 1938. She was credited with helping save 20th Century Fox from bankruptcy with films such as "Curly Top" and "The Littlest Rebel."

In 1999, the American Film Institute ranking of the top 50 screen legends ranked Temple at No. 18 among the 25 actresses.

Temple blossomed into a pretty young woman, but audiences lost interest, and she retired from films at 21. She raised a family and later became active in politics and held several diplomatic posts in Republican administrations, including ambassador to Czechoslovakia during the historic collapse of communism in 1989.

"I have one piece of advice for those of you who want to receive the lifetime achievement award. Start early," she quipped in 2006 as she was honored by the Screen Actors Guild.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Pretty sad, hadn't seen any of her movies since I was younger than 10 at most, but I REALLLY loved her movies as a kid. We lost another legend.

Is it really bad that I thought she'd already passed? :ph34r:

RIP.

No...I was shocked to hear she died because I thought she already had :/

She made me go and check up on the girl that played Annie - I always wondered what happened to her. Glad to see she was successful in theatre and is still doing stuff.

It's gotta be said, it's refreshing to lose a legend of natural causes and very much at the end of a full life on their terms and surrounded by their family. (Does that sound weird or morbid? Like how just recently we lost Phillip Seymor Hoffman to drugs, Whitney this day last year, accidental etc. "shoccking" etc. Im a lil tired of it frankly, its nice to see a legend do it in the best way possible and at the best time (I'd imagine)

It's gotta be said, it's refreshing to lose a legend of natural causes and very much at the end of a full life on their terms and surrounded by their family. (Does that sound weird or morbid? Like how just recently we lost Phillip Seymor Hoffman to drugs, Whitney this day last year, accidental etc. "shoccking" etc. Im a lil tired of it frankly, its nice to see a legend do it in the best way possible and at the best time (I'd imagine)

I agree and you said it perfectly. It is, oddly enough, a refreshing break from all of the tragedy.

I agree and you said it perfectly. It is, oddly enough, a refreshing break from all of the tragedy.

RIGHT, because this isn't a tragedy, this is deserving of a celebration because its a full completed life, like i don't feel a "loss" with this really, at this age you can't really.

I need to find the tapes of those. Maybe better to find DVDs. I'll need them since I'll definitely be showing them to my own kids one day.

YES, my mom used to rent vids for me & my siblings like 1 at a time lol. I think Im going to be buying 1 of those collections I see they have at Best Buy and on Amazon (you KNOW they sellin lie crazy today)

RIGHT, because this isn't a tragedy, this is deserving of a celebration because its a full completed life, like i don't feel a "loss" with this really, at this age you can't really.

YES, my mom used to rent vids for me & my siblings like 1 at a time lol. I think Im going to be buying 1 of those collections I see they have at Best Buy and on Amazon (you KNOW they sellin lie crazy today)

Exactly. It's what you hope would happen when someone dies. That they gave all their best, lived a full life and could pass peacefully. She didn't leave in her prime or on the verge of a comeback when the only thoughts of her would be like "What if she lived just a while longer?".

Yup. Especially on Amazon. They've gotta be going like hot cakes lol

Yeah, I've always found it refreshing and comforting at least when someone has lives a full great life.

It really is comforting

Exactly. It's what you hope would happen when someone dies. That they gave all their best, lived a full life and could pass peacefully. She didn't leave in her prime or on the verge of a comeback when the only thoughts of her would be like "What if she lived just a while longer?".

Yup. Especially on Amazon. They've gotta be going like hot cakes lol

Yup, thats the dream, shedidn't leave us wanting more, her legacy is SET & done, and going to live forever, and it has been since she retired in her 20's, and got to do everything she probably wanted to do alot earlier than most. It's sad and odd that this is something we're not used to seeing with celebs, but hell even in our everyday lives as well.

Woop, you KNOW them sellers raised them prises too lol.