People Magazine's Most Beautiful Person 2014

Escapade

Part of becoming an adult was me realizing that these magazines standards of beauty are trash. They constantly try to shove these tall, thin white women in our faces. Not saying that they aren't beautiful, but beauty comes in all shades, shapes and sizes. Lupita is a breath of fresh air from all the Eurocentric beauty ideals that America loves to impose on us.

lupita-nyongo-gif.gif

Black people don't buy People Magazine

tumblr_mlf8rw0ilw1qfipmeo1_500.gif

Part of becoming an adult was me realizing that these magazines standards of beauty are trash. They constantly try to shove these tall, thin white women in our faces. Not saying that they aren't beautiful, but beauty comes in all shades, shapes and sizes. Lupita is a breath of fresh air from all the Eurocentric beauty ideals that America loves to impose on us.

You are absolutely right and the sad truth of the matter is that this society succeeded in a lot of ways when it comes to black beauty. I cant even begin to describe how many black women I have come in contact with that cringe at the idea of Lupita being on the cover with no weave flowing down to her shoulders. Its unreal. It reminded me of a few years back when Gabby Douglas won the gold and how it was black folks who were going in on her about her hair. That shit is crazy to me, I get were it comes from but DAMN!... enough is enough.

• Upvote 2

You are absolutely right and the sad truth of the matter is that this society succeeded in a lot of ways when it comes to black beauty. I cant even begin to describe how many black women I have come in contact with that cringe at the idea of Lupita being on the cover with no weave flowing down to her shoulders. Its unreal. It reminded me of a few years back when Gabby Douglas won the gold and how it was black folks who were going in on her about her hair. That shit is crazy to me, I get were it comes from but DAMN!... enough is enough.

And a lot of the hate is coming from black people, which is sad. God forbid we find someone beautiful who is not light skinned with weave flowing to the ground. But haters are going to hate. Lupita, along with her Oscar and endorsement deals, will continue to slay, and people will just have to stay mad.

• Upvote 2