Conversation in a Cafe - Covered vs. Uncovered: The Janet Jackson Story

Janet has been sexy for years now... Showing her famous abs and flashing her billion dollar breast but nowadays, Ms. Jackson seems to be covering up her tattas and abs for a more mature look. 

Here's My Thought: If Janet was naked and prancing like her older and some younger counterparts, then the media and public opinion would diminish. The change in branding is good for an allegedly 50 year old woman. Let's all be frank. Madonna, 60 years old, has been trying to seek public attention for years by being OVERLY sexual for a menopausal woman. Is it sexist? Ageist? No. Old people are gross and that's just how the public perceives "old" people 

What's your thoughts?

• Upvote 1

I went on a Twitter rant about this a couple weeks ago. I'll paste it here...read it bottom to top:

1. Rant over x

0 retweets0 favorites
    Retweet

Favorite

More

If she or any 40+ woman wants to walk around half naked - I applaud it. If they want to walk around all covered up - I applaud it.

1 retweet0 favorites
    Retweet

Favorite

More

So if she's covering up - don't look down on it, embrace it. This is Janet fucking Jackson - the woman who wrote about Control.

2 retweets0 favorites
    Retweet

Favorite

More

The whole point was to give women the OPTION to choose what they want to wear - not to have them strip forever.

1 retweet0 favorites
    Retweet

Favorite

More

The door was opened and should stay open - don't close the door behind you.

1 retweet0 favorites
    Retweet

Favorite

More

Yet now, today when a woman covers up it's frowned upon? Like wtf? Why the 180?

1 retweet0 favorites
    Retweet

Favorite

More

...free to wear less and feel sexy which was a great thing

1 retweet0 favorites
    Retweet

Favorite

More

. For years women were more provocative in music videos (primarily Janet herself and Madonna) which opened doors and allow women to be...

1 retweet0 favorites
    Retweet

Favorite

More

I'm glad someone is showing that you don't have to show your mid-riff, butt cheeks or bare legs to be considered sexy.

10 retweets6 favorites
    Retweet

Favorite

More

She was naturally sexy in this video WITHOUT showing skin and I'm glad.

13 retweets7 favorites
    Retweet

Favorite

More

Skin/sexuality isn't all that Janet is about and if that's what you were expecting from her her then maybe you should review all her music.

16 retweets7 favorites
    Retweet

Favorite

More

I'm so over people being mad that Janet is covered up in this video and blaming Wissam just because he's a Muslim. What kind of stereotype?

• Upvote 3

People don't understand that this is a brand new Janet we are dealing with. I believe her perspective on things have evolved since she is in a different reality. T&A is not part of this new movement.  Her fans need to get over that and stop living in the past.

• Upvote 2

Has Janet even really been "uncovered" since the 20 y.o. era? None of her videos or TV performances have her signature abs showing since so excited. She barely showed skin in concert on Rockwitchu and Up Close and Personal. It was mostly some cleavage. Her blackgama campaign is the most risqué look in 9 years.

Has Janet even really been "uncovered" since the 20 y.o. era? None of her videos or TV performances have her signature abs showing since so excited. She barely showed skin in concert on Rockwitchu and Up Close and Personal. It was mostly some cleavage. Her blackgama campaign is the most risqué look in 9 years.

people don't seem to recall Janet wearing clothes in 1989 and prior and post 20YO era. They go straight to the Muslim rumor :wacko: 

imo, I like Janet in clothes. Janet is one of those women who don't need to show off her assets to be sexy (Madonna is the exact opposite). She's sexy and classy with clothes on

I've always loved a layered Janet look!  Mama is serving in the album shoot.....and I'm glad she is working with Kim Bowen again.  Kim is always a safe bet when it comes to dressing Janet.  The look is exactly rock, tribal, punk and elegant at the same time.  It frames Janet's beauty so well.  Janet's inner Stevie Nick's is coming through! The hair is the main accessory along with Janet's beautiful face.  I think this is the best she has ever looked to be honest! Maybe because she might be truly happy and she's glowing......Janet is not pressed at all.  

Edited by freexone9
  • Upvote 3

Do they want her to reach Tina Turner's age and still show her titties in push up bras? REAL Janet fans understand the evolution of her image/brand. She's damn near 50..growth and maturity naturally comes with getting older (at least should no thanks to Mariah and Madonna) but anyway. The "normal" human being does not care about whether her clothes are on or off. Thats such a petty,childlike thing to complain about. We've already seem her body, what have we not already seen? Revisit 1993 if u wanna get off

• Upvote 2