Article on R&R Hall of Fame

Bailey

http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/10/24/451226961/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-2016-the-only-system-weve-got

its long so heres the part you folks want :rolleyes:

Janet Jackson
Eligible since 2007

At 49, the youngest nominee on the Rock Hall ballot, Ms. Jackson (if you're nasty) has been eligible for eight years but, arguably, has been nominated at a nearly ideal moment. Partnered with Minneapolis production duo Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, Jackson was a pop innovator in the '80s and '90s, generating a string of hits that eventually began to eclipse her brother Michael's. She entered the 2000s still critically acclaimed and a potent hitmaker, but the 2004 Super Bowl halftime imbroglio — for which Jackson took an excess of blame — and a string of poorly received mid-'00s albums left her in the cultural wilderness. As surely as Dixie Chicks can win Grammys, however, everybody loves a comeback story, and in 2015 Jackson, Jam and Lewis have set up the perfect platform: A new album, Unbreakable, topped the charts the same week this year's Rock Hall shortlist was announced and has been widely received as her best disc in decades. Did the nominators know all this weeks ago, when they tapped her? Possibly not — but they, and Janet, couldn't have set up a better advertisement for her candidacy. Like N.W.A, this not-guaranteed inductee might finally have timing on her side.

sigh.....outta my feelings now :)

"As a avid listener of NPR, Im glad I can bring some diversity to the discussion. It seems that far too many people think and or believe the R&R Hall of Fame is about White male driven rock bands. Sad to view so many comments from folks who clearly dont get it. The R&R Hall of Fame started out to do what many of you here commenting want, induct the rock bands of White men in. Now the Hall tries to recognize acts, like them or not, that have had a huge impact on music and those acts that follow them. So I'm sorry that NWA, Janet Jackson, and Chaka Khan aren't White rock artists, but they all deserve their well earned spots in music history, the fact some of you feel differently doesn't make me enjoy Kiss, the Beatles, or Styx either, but I know they influenced music. If they induct Janet Jackson, I will fly out to the ceremony!"

• Upvote 2