Lady Grundleforth is brilliant, here's why.

Aquaria

The first hint at the direction she was going in came with the BTW single cover released last week:

bornthiswaycoverx.jpg

"What the H Christy is on her fez and shoulders?" You might have asked yourself. You were not alone. People made immediate connections to prosthetic makeup used in McQueen's Atlantis collection (where Bad Romance originally premiered) and they assumed it may be an homage to him as the single was released on the anniversary of his suicide. But how this unexpected image related to Born This Way, a gushy self-love anthem, was unclear.

When the (history making alexis-1.gif) song premiered, a pair of videos were released as well.

In video 2, she gives insight into how writing the song shaped the visual direction:

• "Born This Way, when I was first writing it, was meant to be a song about revolution, and freedom, and lack of prejudice, and when I started to create the visuals for it I thought so much about my fans and in so many ways it is the monsters that created the imagery. And that is because they are a race in their own way, in their own being, a race within the race of humanity. My fans have no prejudice, they celebrate everyone, they celebrate life, and I thought this world that we created together at the Monster Ball should become universal, it should expand. My monsters should take over the world. [Psychotic giggle]"

The next clue we were given arrived on the Grammy Red Carpet as a giant womb. Ms. Boomkak herself spoke as Gaga's ambassador to the Human Race:

• "It was necessary to incubate her for a certain time, because tonight she is actually birthing a new race, A new race that doesn't have the ability to judge or hate in their DNA, so she is incubating right now so she goes through that process."

And then it all came together. "Mother Monster" giving birth to her a little monsters, a new race that would remake the world in their image.

photo14bg.jpg

The Grammy performance was sparse, energetic, and featured an organ interlude of Bach's Toccata and Fugue, monstrous, dark, and foreboding, a reminder that her monsters would be taking over the world. Then she concluded with a joyous, take-your-clothes-off finale as she brought her latex sermon to a close.

And this, guys and ghouls, is why Lady Gaga is miles beyond Kitty Porridge, Rolanda McDonald and RoadKill$ha (and Boredney and Screamtina as well). She is going onto her third seamlessly connected conceptual era, an organic evolution of the Gaga Mythos that began with The Fame.

I'm not going to speak about the staggering success the single has had because that would just be bragging.

Archived