The Top 50 Adult Contemporary Artists Ever

art

1156329-mellow-gold-banner.jpg

Obviously, people mock Adult Contemporary radio. It's called "vanilla" and bland. Tedious. Monotonic. Strictly for the elevator. We beg to differ: AC is absolutely captivating. And, to celebrate the chart's 50th anniversary, we've ranked its 50 biggest stars.

Aside from being one of the most successful formats in the histories of recorded music and commercial radio, our AC chart is home to hall of famers, big-betters and hard rockers. Home to soulful sweethearts and songwriting superstars. AC isn't a place songs go to die. As radio folks, songwriters and fans well know - AC is the place where stars go to live forever.

1. Elton John

2. Neil Diamond

3. Barbra Streisand

4. Barry Manilow

5. Kenny Rogers

6. Chicago

7. Billy Joel

8. Carpenters

9. Lionel Richie

10. Anne Murray

11. Dionne Warwick

12. Phil Collins

13. Elvis Presley

14. Gloria Estefan

15. Whitney Houston

16. Olivia Newton-John

17. Herb Alpert

18. Michael Bolton

19. Celine Dion

20. Andy Williams

21. Frank Sinatra

22. John Denver

23. Bobby Vinton

24. Rod Stewart

25. Glen Campbell

26. Al Martino

27. James Taylor

28. Mariah Carey

29. Helen Reddy

30. MADONNA

The rest: http://www.billboard.com/features/the-top-50-adult-contemporary-artists-1005279522.story#/features/the-50-biggest-adult-contemporary-artists-1005279522.story

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Babs,

Where's SHANIA!!!

I was wondering the same thing. :unsure:

But I just checked her chart stats on Wikipedia, and they aren't that impressive on the AC charts. -_- However, she balanced that shit out by being an albums artist. B)

Kinda works. :asham: I love my James T. and my Whitney though :wub:

:asham:

It's funny, the artists on this list are the ones with the most long term fans. If you compare it to, say, the top R&B artists, these ones remain relevant money makers.

The AC market is where it's at. :filenails:

I was wondering the same thing. :unsure:

But I just checked her chart stats on Wikipedia, and they aren't that impressive on the AC charts. -_- However, she balanced that shit out by being an albums artist. B)

The only reason I mentioned it is because her Come On Over singles were huge. But it's only one album! The other artists have a much bigger lead on her!

tumblr_lhxh2dqqU61qcnhhzo1_r1_500.gif

The list is shit.

I didnt really pay attention coffee.gif

:asham:

It's funny, the artists on this list are the ones with the most long term fans. If you compare it to, say, the top R&B artists, these ones remain relevant money makers.

The AC market is where it's at. :filenails:

Agreed. Many of these are artists I seriously love. Some of it is pretty fucked though. Btw, you're gonna love my next sig ^_^

The only reason I mentioned it is because her Come On Over singles were huge. But it's only one album! The other artists have a much bigger lead on her!

I didnt really pay attention coffee.gif

Yeah, her music seemed ubiquitous at the time. I'm still surprised about the lack of #1s from that album. But she was pretty much blacklisted from Country radio during her prime, so... :umm:

Archived