The Official "PJ Musicians" Thread

Reyna ♔

How do you boys go about writing your music? You guys start by hearing a beat or harmony in your head then put that to instruments or sound borax, then write the lyrics on top? Or is it vice-versa for you guys?

I know with me it's about 60% - 40% leaning to the lyrics first as I actually realized. Then against most often I hear both at the same time. When that happens I usually write the lyrics and sing the harmonies then head to my piano or my guitar for the instrumental.

Also, what kind of messages and genres do you guys focus on with your music? For me, I like to tap into different genres, keeping mostly with R&B, Rock, different forms of Pop, and a some experiments with other less celebrated genres. One consistency I try to focus on lyrically is that of Depth. Overall, I want at least 85% of my songs to have depth. Even if the songs are uptempo.

I've heard some from a couple of you, I just wanted to make this thread to discuss a little bit for fun :lol:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It goes either way with me but it usually begins with a concept.

The song I wrote last night is called "Thirsty" and the concept is basically you in a club and somebody is sweating you hard from across the room but they acting all shy. You on the other hand see them starring and looking at you all 'thirsty' so you tell them to whassup. Stop acting all shy and lets get it on. lol

I usually go concept, lyric, melody and then I will hear a track that works and then alter all the previous stuff to be in sync with the music. lately though, I been helping in the beat making process as well. :yahoo:

I'm all across the board when it comes to my music: I'll dream about lyrics and then scramble to try and remember them and write them down. I'll hear a beat then come up with a catchy hook as a catalyst for the theme of the song. I'll "feel" the music and freestyle sing lyrics to them, most of the time I wind up using most of what I freestyled. It's really a mixture of all three of those situations.

I pride myself on being genre-less. I have an R&B/Soul base, but I'm a HUGE fan of all different styles of music, so I like to convey that through my music. I've literally written, recorded and produced tracks within all of the major genres of music: R&B, Soul, Rap, Pop, Rock, Dance, Punk, Jazz (with the exception of Country...I'm workin' on that one lol)

I feel I'm actually a better writer than I am a singer/rapper, believe it or not. I think my writing skills are really versatile. I can write your typical club track, your sappy love song, your cliché she-done-me-wrong jawn...but I can and do also write songs with substance. Songs about war, discrimination, self control/lack of control, loss of loved ones, drug/alcohol abuse, suicide, etc. There are so many things you can write about, and I'm intent on trying out as much as possible, while still keeping an accessible, mainstream sound.

Music is the most important thing to me, aside from Family and friends, so I take it seriously, even if it is just a hobby at this point :) It's really exciting and fun...and challenging!

Reyna, I DEFINITELY want to hear some of your stuff -- in fact, we ALL need to make a music sharing thread so we can all listen to each other's songs, snippets and random little jingles. :w00t:

It varies for me. (I'm strictly amateur BTW, let's make that crystal clear! :lol:) Usually (like 55% of the time lol), it's the random lyric that will pop in my head first and then I'll try to quickly try to write it down. They usually come to me while I'm taking a shower so I occasionally leave a pen and pad out when I'm done. The melody comes to me later; maybe the next day. However when that comes first, I try to write down the musical key, planned instruments, as well as the basic chord progression and estimated tempo.

I personally like to write fictional scenarios. An escape from reality (flying ships through space, being part of an African tribe, etc.), but at the same time may be based on a real experience.

I'm inspired by everything pretty much, so my stories are always all over the place. :asham:(For example, that video of the guy dressed as Gumbi robbing the store inspired my most recent song. lol)

I envision my songs crossing many different genres (rap, rock, r&b, traditional African), but I mainly do "comedy rap" if you have an open-minded sense of humor lol.

I'm all across the board when it comes to my music: I'll dream about lyrics and then scramble to try and remember them and write them down. I'll hear a beat then come up with a catchy hook as a catalyst for the theme of the song. I'll "feel" the music and freestyle sing lyrics to them, most of the time I wind up using most of what I freestyled. It's really a mixture of all three of those situations.

I pride myself on being genre-less. I have an R&B/Soul base, but I'm a HUGE fan of all different styles of music, so I like to convey that through my music. I've literally written, recorded and produced tracks within all of the major genres of music: R&B, Soul, Rap, Pop, Rock, Dance, Punk, Jazz (with the exception of Country...I'm workin' on that one lol)

I feel I'm actually a better writer than I am a singer/rapper, believe it or not. I think my writing skills are really versatile. I can write your typical club track, your sappy love song, your cliché she-done-me-wrong jawn...but I can and do also write songs with substance. Songs about war, discrimination, self control/lack of control, loss of loved ones, drug/alcohol abuse, suicide, etc. There are so many things you can write about, and I'm intent on trying out as much as possible, while still keeping an accessible, mainstream sound.

Music is the most important thing to me, aside from Family and friends, so I take it seriously, even if it is just a hobby at this point :) It's really exciting and fun...and challenging!

Reyna, I DEFINITELY want to hear some of your stuff -- in fact, we ALL need to make a music sharing thread so we can all listen to each other's songs, snippets and random little jingles. :w00t:

A man after my own heart :wub::lol: I really love your style, Jevar. You're giving me a bit of inspiration, genre-wise especially, in my own music. lol

I think we can make this the music sharing thread. I can edit the title to suit that ^_^:lol:, but kinda like Andy, I'm pretty amateur as well. I'm still trying to learn to sync the instrumental with my voice recordings. I don't really have a program or anything that can do that :asham: I don't mind doing acapellas for now though ^_^ lol.

It varies for me. (I'm strictly amateur BTW, let's make that crystal clear! :lol:) Usually (like 55% of the time lol), it's the random lyric that will pop in my head first and then I'll try to quickly try to write it down. They usually come to me while I'm taking a shower so I occasionally leave a pen and pad out when I'm done. The melody comes to me later; maybe the next day. However when that comes first, I try to write down the musical key, planned instruments, as well as the basic chord progression and estimated tempo.

I personally like to write fictional scenarios. An escape from reality (flying ships through space, being part of an African tribe, etc.), but at the same time may be based on a real experience.

I'm inspired by everything pretty much, so my stories are always all over the place. :asham:(For example, that video of the guy dressed as Gumbi robbing the store inspired my most recent song. lol)

I envision my songs crossing many different genres (rap, rock, r&b, traditional African), but I mainly do "comedy rap" if you have an open-minded sense of humor lol.

Your style is so interesting. I'm actually very intrigued to hear a little something from you :lol: The songs about the spaceships is one that has me insanely curious, along with that of the one about Gumby :lmao: I hope you record a little something for us, at least in this thread. We all start somewhere ^_^

I like that we're all musically diverse. ^_^ I think personally, Mike and Janet inspired me to mix it up a bit.

Your style is so interesting. I'm actually very intrigued to hear a little something from you :lol: The songs about the spaceships is one that has me insanely curious, along with that of the one about Gumby :lmao: I hope you record a little something for us, at least in this thread. We all start somewhere ^_^

Thanks. ^_^ I guess it's like a writing exercise for me. I also like to do parodies; the last one I wrote was to Frank Ocean's "Novacane" called "Candy Cane." lol

The Gumby-inspired one is actually called "Mascot (I Can Do Whatever I Want)" but I do think the concept is based off of it. Oh yeah and I actually can't even rap my own songs (let along sing), but that doesn't mean I won't attempt it a bunch of times. lol

I like that we're all musically diverse. ^_^ I think personally, Mike and Janet inspired me to mix it up a bit.

Thanks. ^_^ I guess it's like a writing exercise for me. I also like to do parodies; the last one I wrote was to Frank Ocean's "Novacane" called "Candy Cane." lol

The Gumby-inspired one is actually called "Mascot (I Can Do Whatever I Want)" but I do think the concept is based off of it. Oh yeah and I actually can't even rap my own songs (let along sing), but that doesn't mean I won't attempt it a bunch of times. lol

Agreed ^_^

You're welcome :) Oh wow. That'd be cool to hear :lol:

Hmm..now that would be a song to listen to. lol. I think it sounds pretty fun lol. Awww, well at least for us ^_^ haha.

Agreed ^_^

You're welcome :) Oh wow. That'd be cool to hear :lol:

Hmm..now that would be a song to listen to. lol. I think it sounds pretty fun lol. Awww, well at least for us ^_^ haha.

I haven't recorded either of them yet, but I do have lyrics at least if you want to see them. :lol:

A man after my own heart :wub::lol: I really love your style, Jevar. You're giving me a bit of inspiration, genre-wise especially, in my own music. lol

I think we can make this the music sharing thread. I can edit the title to suit that ^_^:lol:, but kinda like Andy, I'm pretty amateur as well. I'm still trying to learn to sync the instrumental with my voice recordings. I don't really have a program or anything that can do that :asham: I don't mind doing acapellas for now though ^_^ lol.

:lol: :lol: Ahh Thanks Reyna :) And I'm happy to be of some inspiration. Making this the music sharing thread was a great idea. Don't even sweat being amateur musically...I am too! :lol: I'm a big fan of amateur music though, it's raw and un pro-tooled/professionally autotuned. And in a lot of cases, more fun and potent than what's "hot" in the industry today.

Oooh, you should look into downloading some software, there's a bunch of free programs you can try and play around with. Learning how to operate some of them are a breeze too. I def wanna hear some acapellas, I dig acapella the most because it's talent on full display -- no "hiding" behind the music. :D

I've heard some of Andy's music...he downplays his stuff, but it's honestly a blast of fresh air :w00t: creative to the max! And that's a key element of good quality music, creativity.

Oh okay :lol: Sure, if you'd like ^_^

I post them on my buddy Dazario's forum a lot. Okay I'll post "Candy Cane" which I attempted last July... :ph34r::lol:

Okay I'm about to attempt another parody, this time to Frank Ocean's "Novacane" lol

Candy Cane (The "Novacane" Parody)

random spoken adlib not related to the original song:

Hmm I'ma hongry!

V1:

I think I'm sorta hungry, I want somethin' dandy

Even some honey, must eat somethin' cuz I ain't superman

Even when I'm restin', skittle poppin', Everything I see reminds me of candy

Fruity, licorice ("lick'rish"), 'nilla, choco, peanut, I demand

I blame it on the ad usin' Hollywood stars

Convincin' me to try some choco-bars, bran ain't workin'

While I went to the store, stopped for some candy, orange lollipop ... perfect

Then took a seat at the ice cream bar, my flavor PB on top whatever

At this rate I'd need to see a dentist real badly! Every week, ain't playin'!

I live in the gingerbread house in valley, at I least I built it

But at this rate I won't see my toes, what am I eatin' anyway?

I hate to see my sweets go bye, but still I want to taste my

hook:

Candy cane, baby! Candy cane, first taste you can't chew!

Peppermint, root beer flavored, everyone knows

But the multi-colored is the one I chews and chose

Til there's none! Til there's none! Num num num mmm!

V2:

House full of pastries, never use dishes, cookies for breakfast. Yikes!

Beds full of donuts. Turn off that tripod! The treats are all mine, don't look, can't fast!

I'm feelin' like Santa, Cupid, or somethin' ... it's only something I can see!

Even dreamt of animated sweets runnin' away from me

I think it started with ads that I said use Hollywood stars

"No wrong way to eat a Reeses," Those words have gone far

They changed me like nothing else had, now I'm back on to cakes

Ever since I've tried to get my weight back by pickin' up and droppin' weights

(note: two lines cut here)

But I still don't see my toes, why am I eatin' anyway?

I hate to see the sweets go, and I just wanted to eat my little

hook:

Candy cane, baby! Candy cane, the first taste you can't chew

Peppermint, root-beer flavored, everyone knows

But the multi-colored is the one I chews and chose

Til there's none! Til there's none! Num num num num!

Candy cane! Candy cane! Candy cane! Candy cane! Candy cane!

Brings the pain! is a pain! is a pain! is a pain! is a pain!

Candy cane! Candy cane! Candy cane! Candy cane! Candy cane!

The candy cane is a pain! The candy cane is a pain!

Oh...

I feel siiicckkk

Maybe another candy cane...

Blargh!

Families of gingerbread

Enticin' me to eat their heads ain't pretty! This ain't pretty!

Families of gingerbread

Enticin' me to eat their heads ain't pretty! This ain't pretty!

I can't see my toes! Where they go, I miss them so!

I can't see my toes! Where they go, I miss them so!

I can't see my toes! Candy cane is a pain!

I can't see my toes! Candy cane is a pain!

Num! Num! Num! Num!

---------------------

I think I just gained 10 pounds writing this mess. Sheesh! Could be a gazillion times better (lined-up better, more examples of sweets used lol), but I just wanted to try (and fail :P ).

This is also clearly a rip-off of Weird Al's "Eat It" and "Fat" and we all know which songs those are parodies of ... so once again, I failed to hide the fact that I subliminally and indirectly ripped off MJ again. :P:lol:

I also forgot to mention I tend to use a lot of made-up words and made-up slang. >_<

:lol: :lol: Ahh Thanks Reyna :) And I'm happy to be of some inspiration. Making this the music sharing thread was a great idea. Don't even sweat being amateur musically...I am too! :lol: I'm a big fan of amateur music though, it's raw and un pro-tooled/professionally autotuned. And in a lot of cases, more fun and potent than what's "hot" in the industry today.

Oooh, you should look into downloading some software, there's a bunch of free programs you can try and play around with. Learning how to operate some of them are a breeze too. I def wanna hear some acapellas, I dig acapella the most because it's talent on full display -- no "hiding" behind the music. :D

I've heard some of Andy's music...he downplays his stuff, but it's honestly a blast of fresh air :w00t: creative to the max! And that's a key element of good quality music, creativity.

You're very welcome ^_^:lol: Something else in common! LOL. Yeah, so true and for the very reasons you named. Alot of what's "hot" now is actually watered-down versions of the past. Shame, really. But a new wave can come. Hopefully lol.

Good idea! Do you know of any? :) If not, I'll just Google and see what comes up :lol:

LOL, if you say so. I'll record something, too. But of course, you guys better be in on recording stuff as well ;):asham:

Now that sounds more like Andy. I really hope he posts a little something so I can hear him. I bet he's so much more brilliant than he gives himself credit for :P

I post them on my buddy Dazario's forum a lot. Okay I'll post "Candy Cane" which I attempted last July... :ph34r::lol:

I also forgot to mention I tend to use a lot of made-up words and made-up slang. >_<

I loved that!! :lol: :lol: :lol: It made me giggle hearing it in my head :lol:

That's some very nice work, buddy ^_^:lol:

That's the beauty of creativity :thumbup:

^ Thanks! And thanks for the creativity comments. I do admit I am very self-critical of myself though; I just feel I could always do better. :asham:

:lol: And I do use "GoldWave" tools on a lot of my audios so I'm just as bad as the pro-tools people. Not that it makes it sound any better; I guess it's just for an effect I'm trying to go for. lol

For me it just has to be catchy.

Simplicity and repetition in the lyrics is key. I'm a very radio friendly writer because I can't sing, so my songs have to be extra catchy. I write songs that anybody can sing or hum along to. I'm actually in the studio right now recording lol.

I enjoy writing for other people. Here's a snippet of the demo that I wrote with Jeremih in mind...

Effrem Adams - Sexual Education

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc-w9awPcaI

VERSE:

Welcome to my classroom

Please have a seat

You got a pop quiz

Don't try to cheat

I got my paddle

and my ruler

and my yard stick

Dont even try to run

Cause baby you ain't even slick

You need some discipline

You been real bad

When I'm done with you

You'll be so glad

That you passed the test

Did it all on your own

I gave you an A

Cause you got me full blown

PRE CHORUS:

Sexual

education

Let me give you

A demonstration

Give your body up

To temptation

And enjoy

Every sensation

CHORUS:

It's going dowwwwwwn

It's going dowwwwwwn

Bring out your notepad

Break out your text book

It's going dowwwwwwn

It's going dowwwwwwn

You in detention

And you ain't off the hook

It's going dowwwwwwn

It's going dowwwwwwn

Bring out your notepad

Break out your text book

It's going dowwwwwwn

It's going dowwwwwwn

You in detention

And you ain't off the hook

It goes either way with me but it usually begins with a concept.

The song I wrote last night is called "Thirsty" and the concept is basically you in a club and somebody is sweating you hard from across the room but they acting all shy. You on the other hand see them starring and looking at you all 'thirsty' so you tell them to whassup. Stop acting all shy and lets get it on. lol

I usually go concept, lyric, melody and then I will hear a track that works and then alter all the previous stuff to be in sync with the music. lately though, I been helping in the beat making process as well. :yahoo:

I need a drink just from reading this :asham:

The concept sounds good

^ Thanks! And thanks for the creativity comments. I do admit I am very self-critical of myself though; I just feel I could always do better. :asham:

:lol: And I do use "GoldWave" tools on a lot of my audios so I'm just as bad as the pro-tools people. Not that it makes it sound any better; I guess it's just for an effect I'm trying to go for. lol

Nothing wrong with that ^_^ It always pushes you to your best :thumbup:

:lol: Well I'll check that out and see how it works

Here's the lyrics to a song I wrote called "The Double Play (My Way)". It's odd, because I actually got the music video concept for this first THEN wrote the lyrics from that :lol:

The Double Play (My Way)

(Verse 1)

Hey baby

Lay here a while

Relax now

It’s gonna take all night

I wanna play a little game

(One you’ve never played before)

A thrill-ride of a game

(So relax and enjoy)

(Pre-Chorus)

I just wanna love you, my girl