I Need Your Advice

Escapade

My mom is telling me to apply to UCLA but their standards are a little too high for me. My counselor said I shouldn't let that stop me because they also take in the fact that i'm a minority and from the mid west so they might need more diversity. Honestly I don't think I'd get in. They are a public school and probably won't even give me much aid. Should I apply?

Yeah I know. I try to refrain from applying to reach schools because if I get denied I'd just feel horrible.

Their standards are extremely high for even the best of the best. It doesn't make you less of a great student/scholar because you don't get in. Like Austin said, all they can say is yes or no.

Here's my personal statement for them. It says write about a personal quality so I wrote about my love for music. It's not finished I just typed this up in like 10 minutes LOL. Ya'll know I had to throw my favs in there LOL

A lot of people tell me I have an ear for good music. I enjoy listening to a wide range of stuff from Stevie Wonder to Britney Spears. I vividly remember purchasing my first album, “Mya”, in May of 1998. I have been in love with music ever since. My parents caught on to my keen taste of music from a young age. They were puzzled as to why a young girl was more obsessed with listening to the latest Aaliyah song rather than having tea parties with my imaginary friends. They even have embarrassing home movies of me on top of the coffee table dancing to my Spice Girls cassette (I don’t think they would ever let me live that down)!

To me, music has always been my escape; it has always helped me cope with what I have been dealing with at the moment. I feel that there is a song for every emotion that people go through. From the dramatic Mariah Carey love songs to the fun, carefree songs by Katy Perry – I love them all! People sometimes underestimate the impact a song can have on one. Songs like Janet Jackson’s “Together Again” and Michael Jackson’s “You Are Not Alone” got me through the most difficult times in life, like my aunt’s death. When I felt I could not go on I turned up my speakers and got lost in my music. It has been my source of therapy for many years.

BTW: Can you help me find that quote Janet said about music changing lives when she was talking about those two girls?

My mom is telling me to apply to UCLA but their standards are a little too high for me. My counselor said I shouldn't let that stop me because they also take in the fact that i'm a minority and from the mid west so they might need more diversity. Honestly I don't think I'd get in. They are a public school and probably won't even give me much aid. Should I apply?

is UCLA the school that YOU want to apply to

Here's my personal statement for them. It says write about a personal quality so I wrote about my love for music. It's not finished I just typed this up in like 10 minutes LOL. Ya'll know I had to throw my favs in there LOL

A lot of people tell me I have an ear for good music. I enjoy listening to a wide range of stuff from Stevie Wonder to Britney Spears. I vividly remember purchasing my first album, “Mya”, in May of 1998. I have been in love with music ever since. My parents caught on to my keen taste of music from a young age. They were puzzled as to why a young girl was more obsessed with listening to the latest Aaliyah song rather than having tea parties with my imaginary friends. They even have embarrassing home movies of me on top of the coffee table dancing to my Spice Girls cassette (I don’t think they would ever let me live that down)!

don't use the word "stuff"

don't use the word "stuff"

Edited version

A lot of people tell me I have an ear for good music. I enjoy listening to a wide range of artists from Stevie Wonder to Britney Spears. I vividly remember purchasing my first album, "Mya," in May of 1998. I have been in love with music ever since. My parents caught on to my keen taste of music from a young age. They were puzzled as to why a young girl was more obsessed with listening to the latest Aaliyah song rather than having tea parties with my imaginary friends. They even have embarrassing home movies of me on top of the coffee table dancing to the Spice Girls (I don't think they would ever let me live that down)! To me, music has always been my escape; it has always helped me cope with what I have been dealing with at the moment. I feel that there is a song for every emotion that people go through.

People sometimes underestimate the impact a song can have on a person. Songs like Janet Jackson's "Together Again" and Michael Jackson's "You Are Not Alone" got me through the most difficult times in life, like my aunt's death. When I felt I could not go on I turned up my speakers and got lost in my music. It has been my source of therapy for many years.

Most people I know question my musical taste. They assume because I am a young African- American woman that I am only supposed to enjoy R&B and Hip Hop. They are often taken back when I express my love for 80's pop, country music and more. To me, the wide range of genres I enjoy represents my free spirit and out of the box personality. From the dramatic love songs to the fun, carefree tunes - I love them all!

KEEP ALL YOUR OPTIONS OPEN, SO YEA APPLY BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN YOU MUST GO, WE HAVE FOLKS APPLY GET ACCEPTED AND DON'T COME.

Archived