Janet's "Control" by Glee Cast

Kaleidoscope Eyes

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 2c.gif

It's no secret that, generically, Glee is geered to that preppy-type of audience. White, black, hispanic, asian, whatever. They are into the majority candy pop songs. Madonna, Brit, and many others fit that mold. Jan and Mike often didn't. I don't believe it's racist, but if you look at majority of the songs Glee picks versus what Mike and Jan made and others of their caliber then it makes sense as to why they aren't chosen. They go for preppy songs or the motivational types sometimes. Which is why I stopped watching.

Sidenotes: 1)Ever since his death, some shows and other things may add Michael since it's "cool" to like/be a fan of him again. Trust, if he wasn't gone, they may have made a show making fun of him instead.

2)I preferred Kevin McHale when he was with NLT :filenails:

They play a pretty wide range of music... to say conclusively what type of music they play, I would need a song list of the entire series as I am not a regular watcher. They have done Michael in the past. To do an episode on Madonna is an obvious choice... influentially she is interchangeable with Michael. The leg up she had on getting episode is probably that she's still living and making an episode geared toward her made more sense in the story (it had to do with Sue and encouraging her girls to take control as females).

The Britney episode... well, why Britney and not Janet? Why not Tina Turner or Elvis or The Beatles or Prince for that matter? Britney is probably the most relevant to Glee's target audience and they actually got Britney to guest star. Which of those starts is culturally significant and has #1s on billboard at the moment? None of them.

And that was their 2 tribute episodes. So to say Glee is racist or that they "must have white producers" is really silly when the 2 tribute episodes they've had happen to be Madonna and Britney.

I actually agree with you on the producers thing. I think what songs they pick have more to do with who their target audience is. Not "what white kids like" or that their producers only listen to and what to use music made by white artists.

And to an extent, you're kinda proving my point :asham: Music likes hers and Brit's are more the style of their audience than Mike and Jan's. I mean, beyond Michael's motivational songs like MITM and the Thriller songs, you won't hear much else. Janet-beyond Control and Rhythm Nation you might not hear anything unless it's from AFY or "Make Me" and that's a stretch :lol:

I can't say I know every thing or reason, because as I said, I don't watch the show anymore. (Stopped after a few episodes and may catch one sometimes just for Kevin). But the song choices are based on audience, not really race.

I actually agree with you on the producers thing. I think what songs they pick have more to do with who their target audience is. Not "what white kids like" or that their producers only listen to and what to use music made by white artists.

And to an extent, you're kinda proving my point :asham: Music likes hers and Brit's are more the style of their audience than Mike and Jan's. I mean, beyond Michael's motivational songs like MITM and the Thriller songs, you won't hear much else. Janet-beyond Control and Rhythm Nation you might not hear anything unless it's from AFY or "Make Me" and that's a stretch :lol:

I can't say I know every thing or reason, because as I said, I don't watch the show anymore. (Stopped after a few episodes and may catch one sometimes just for Kevin). But the song choices are based on audience, not really race.

Glee always exposes their audience to new things though... they cover a really broad range of people so I really don't agree on that. Outside of their respective episodes, Madonna and Britney have had maybe 1 song if that on the show.

Glee always exposes their audience to new things though... they cover a really broad range of people so I really don't agree on that. Outside of their respective episodes, Madonna and Britney have had maybe 1 song if that on the show.

Again, I'm not an avid watcher. I'm going off of talk from watchers I know of. And I use Madonna and Brit as a style, not an axis. But what new things exactly? I don't see a new mold type. The closest I have seen is maybe a song or two from a Musical or going to older rock bands that though the audience may not know their discography like the back of their hand, the parents do so they have some pre-exposure.

I just want to say something..and may be in the minority..but glee has done some of the most beautiful show stopping and touching rendition's of songs in history..there care some songs that i never cared for and i now like a lot more because of them

Some of the Jaw dropping rendition's some of which i prefer to the original are

Kurt and rachel's rendition of don't cry for me argentina

You can tell me that they didn't tear Madonna's like a prayer apart...imo their rendition was 100x better than the original

(well honestly the rendition of most of mange's catalog was better than her take)

Kurts cover of the beatles i wanna hold you hand and barbra stresiand's as if we never said good bye

also rachel's rendition of barbra stresand's funny girl(i think that was the name of the song i may be wrong) was damn good ..just chills

Puck's rendition of billy joels only the good die young was another great one

and his rendition's of queens fat bottomed girls

oh and then we have amber riley..any song she touches turns into gold ...her rendition of Aint no way....i was in so much awe

or her rendition of try a little tenderness. A wtf moment ..Just damn

gosh i need to stop because i could go on and on but you get the point

thats not to say they don't butcher some songs...but majority of the time..they rendition's are impressive

Again, I'm not an avid watcher. I'm going off of talk from watchers I know of. And I use Madonna and Brit as a style, not an axis. But what new things exactly? I don't see a new mold type. The closest I have seen is maybe a song or two from a Musical or going to older rock bands that though the audience may not know their discography like the back of their hand, the parents do so they have some pre-exposure.

well, I found the list of songs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_in_Glee

they do a lot of genres and a good mix of old and new.

I liked what they did with the Wicked songs, Somewhere Over the Rainbow, and the Adele mashup. Even though I get really picky with who touches their catalog, I like what they did with Journey's Don't Stop Believin'. But again, with their audience, if they themselves didn't know it, their parents do. And so pre-exposure exists.

oh what they did with journey was absolutely amazing !!!!..they are the reason why i got into journey in the first place

Also what the did the wicked songs was wicked...defying gravity still gives me chills till this day

and lets talk about K chenoweth's rendition of The wiz HOme ..i shed a tear ..her voice is from heaven i tell you

oh what they did with journey was absolutely amazing !!!!..they are the reason why i got into journey in the first place

Also what the did the wicked songs was wicked...defying gravity still gives me chills till this day

and lets talk about K chenoweth's rendition of The wiz HOme ..i shed a tear ..her voice is from heaven i tell you

omfg That cover is EVERYTHING. :wub:

*Plays*

:wub:

my music twin :cheers: that rendition is Something else..chills just thinking about it

:cheers:

When she did Maybe This Time with Lea, it really shows you the difference between an okay performer with a good voice, and a seasoned performer at the top of her game:

She owned that performance. :clapping:

:cheers:

When she did Maybe This Time with Lea, it really shows you the difference between an okay performer with a good voice, and a seasoned performer at the top of her game:

She owned that performance. :clapping:

tumblr_lqpm3mMeGn1qd0tlf.gif

that PERFORMANCE ..OMG ..i remember watching it and then saying..yes i am in love with this woman .the ending note. :tear:

I just want to say something..and may be in the minority..but glee has done some of the most beautiful show stopping and touching rendition's of songs in history..there care some songs that i never cared for and i now like a lot more because of them

Some of the Jaw dropping rendition's some of which i prefer to the original are

Kurt and rachel's rendition of don't cry for me argentina

You can tell me that they didn't tear Madonna's like a prayer apart...imo their rendition was 100x better than the original

(well honestly the rendition of most of mange's catalog was better than her take)

Kurts cover of the beatles i wanna hold you hand and barbra stresiand's as if we never said good bye

also rachel's rendition of barbra stresand's funny girl(i think that was the name of the song i may be wrong) was damn good ..just chills

Puck's rendition of billy joels only the good die young was another great one

and his rendition's of queens fat bottomed girls

oh and then we have amber riley..any song she touches turns into gold ...her rendition of Aint no way....i was in so much awe

or her rendition of try a little tenderness. A wtf moment ..Just damn

gosh i need to stop because i could go on and on but you get the point

thats not to say they don't butcher some songs...but majority of the time..they rendition's are impressive

Those are probably my two favorite covers they've ever done. I actually prefer them over the originals, Amber's vocals on Ain't No Way were nothing short of amazing. It should've been their ballad for Regionals instead of those whack original songs they wrote the night before the competition.

Those are probably my two favorite covers they've ever done. I actually prefer them over the originals, Amber's vocals on Ain't No Way were nothing short of amazing. It should've been their ballad for Regionals instead of those whack original songs they wrote the night before the competition.

Aint no way..i wanted to throw something at somebody...that song was piercing my heart when she sung it...yes a dare say better than the original

Oh God :mellow:

The group Kevin was in before he joined Glee. They disbanded because of Chris Stokes music leaks and parted ways. Kevin and JJ are on TV, Travis is still in music and idk what V is doing.

Kevin is such a cutie. I know through the grapevine that he dated that RJ Berger dude a few years ago. At first, I didn't think he was gay, but the affiliation with Chris Stokes and some of his tweets pretty much confirmed it. Not that it's any of my business, he's still a handsome guy and wish him the continued success.

(:

Kevin is such a cutie. I know through the grapevine that he dated that RJ Berger dude a few years ago. At first, I didn't think he was gay, but the affiliation with Chris Stokes and some of his tweets pretty much confirmed it. Not that it's any of my business, he's still a handsome guy and wish him the continued success.

(:

He really is. I actually get bisexual vibes form him :asham: But yes, he has always been a sweetheart. From these old days to now. I miss this group though. One of the few "boy bands" I really liked :cry:

Archived