Macklemore calls out Miley and Iggy for cultural appropriation

bu.

The song is a sequel to Macklemore's 2005 track 'White Privilege', which appeared on his solo album The 'Language of My World', and clocks in at nearly nine minutes in length. In that time, Macklemore raps about racial tension in America and mentions the Black Lives Matter movement and white artists who he believes have appropriated black culture. 

"You've exploited and stolen the music, the moment/The magic, the passion, the fashion you toyed with/The culture was never yours to make better/You're Miley, you're Elvis, you're Iggy Azalea," he raps in one line. Hear the song below. 

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/macklemore/90930?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=macklemore#8oQkBHcbQ77FIRZJ.99

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

Hmm Is it the same thing? 

Miley: grew up in a million dollar mansion with ZERO connection to urban life

Iggy: A rich foreigner who came to this country to pretend she's a rapper

Macklemore: Idk his history.. From the suburbs of Seattle no? He's the realest of the three. He's actually a fan of Hip Hop history. I don't think he was as poor and unfortunate as King Mathers but still worse off than the people he called out

if you thought he was referring to the color of these artists' skin.. Then you need to dig deeper

• Upvote 1

Hmm Is it the same thing? 

Miley: grew up in a million dollar mansion with ZERO connection to urban life

Iggy: A rich foreigner who came to this country to pretend she's a rapper

Macklemore: Idk his history.. From the suburbs of Seattle no? He's the realest of the three. He's actually a fan of Hip Hop history. I don't think he was as poor and unfortunate as King Mathers but still worse off than the people he called out

if you thought he was referring to the color of these artists' skin.. Then you need to dig deeper

The song is called White Privilege II :mellow: 

He is literally talking about himself: "You've exploited and stolen the music, the moment/The magic, the passion, the fashion you toyed with/The culture was never yours to make better." The fuck you mean??? What gives him the GALL to say that to Iggy Azalea, Miley and Elvis. He needs to sit the fuck down. Marshall Mathers is accepted as a rapper because he's one of the best, period. He didn't do this boo hoo white guilt bullshit to get "black" points, like he's one of the good ones, he gets it. It's self serving, he's not actually interested in being an ally this is about how he would like to be perceived and it's gross. I'm not here for it and I don't know a single person who has RSVP'd. :coffee: 

• Upvote 1

The song is called White Privilege II :mellow: 

He is literally talking about himself: "You've exploited and stolen the music, the moment/The magic, the passion, the fashion you toyed with/The culture was never yours to make better." The fuck you mean??? What gives him the GALL to say that to Iggy Azalea, Miley and Elvis. He needs to sit the fuck down. Marshall Mathers is accepted as a rapper because he's one of the best, period. He didn't do this boo hoo white guilt bullshit to get "black" points, like he's one of the good ones, he gets it. It's self serving, he's not actually interested in being an ally this is about how he would like to be perceived and it's gross. I'm not here for it and I don't know a single person who has RSVP'd. :coffee: 

I'm not defending Macklemore... And i didn't listen to the song (bc its 9 minutes) The song is called White Privilege II.. But the lyrics aren't directly about ALL white people "stealing" black culture.. It's about the rich white people stealing black culture to make themselves richer

Macklemore may not have gotten your blessing as a white rapper but he started from nothing(?) in Seattle and he appreciates the art of hip hop. Miley doesn't. Iggy doesn't. That's the difference

I'm not defending Macklemore... And i didn't listen to the song (bc its 9 minutes) The song is called White Privilege II.. But the lyrics aren't directly about ALL white people "stealing" black culture.. It's about the rich white people stealing black culture to make themselves richer

Macklemore may not have gotten your blessing as a white rapper but he started from nothing(?) in Seattle and he appreciates the art of hip hop. Miley doesn't. Iggy doesn't. That's the difference

Um, not really. I listened to about 4 minutes of it, it's about being white in this time of "Black Lives Matter" and where you fit into that. The song actually raises a lot of good questions that Macklemore as a white person is allowed to ask, just being reflective. However, he can't come for white people doing black music and black culture when he's doing it, period. He hasn't earned that, even Eminem, the only successful and credible white rapper, doesn't go there, it's not their place. 

Um, not really. I listened to about 4 minutes of it, it's about being white in this time of "Black Lives Matter" and where you fit into that. The song actually raises a lot of good questions that Macklemore as a white person is allowed to ask, just being reflective. However, he can't come for white people doing black music and black culture when he's doing it, period. He hasn't earned that, even Eminem, the only successful and credible white rapper, doesn't go there, it's not their place. 

I feel as though Macklemore is not in the same category as Iggy or Miley. Iggy & Miley are fakers.. Posers.. 

Macklemore is more real in-terms of hip-hop.. He grew up around it and has knowledge of it.. Iggy doesn't... Miley can't.. Macklemore, tho always a lessor, is in the same boat as Eminem.. Advocating for "black culture" while maintaining that there is an issue 

• 2 weeks later...