2017 Oscar movies challenge!

Dal

Last night my daughter and I watched "The Red Turtle".. it's one of the noms for best animated movie.. it's a dialogue-less film from France, about a man stranded on a deserted island in the middle of nowhere (a la Castaway).. it's produced by Studio Ghibli. It's absolutely beautiful.. my 8yo daughter said before the movie started that she thinks Moana is going to win the best animated oscar, and then once The Red Turtle was over and the credits were rolling (and with tears coming down her face), she turned to me and said she's not so sure about Moana's win anymore..

for the record, I still believe that Zootopia has the win on lock..

nicely made film all the way around, though.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt3666024/?ref=m_nv_sr_1

great that you two have those share moments to remember

• Upvote 1

Wow that was awkward.. but glad moonlight won.. although Lion moved me more, Moonlight was an incredible film.. I really felt as the viewer of Moonlight like we were intruding almost on someone's deeply personal interactions and that made it all the more real.. I can totally see why it got the Best Pic statue..

• Upvote 1

Jimmy was an alright host.  Hey, at least Justin got them stiff ass people out of their chairs..I'm glad they weren't sitting down and pretending to care.

I'm happy for all the winners.  I guess the Best Actor category was the one to watch.  Denzel will be ok.  Emma had steam going full throttle and Natalie and Elle weren't gonna stop her.  Viola and Masherhala were expected to win.

Of course the biggest shock of the night had to happen at the end of the telecast.  I was going to bed and then this mess about Best Picture mixup had me up for about another hour. :lmao:  I even had to delete a shady tweet because I was wrong too! Something is so fishy about this whole ordeal.  Warren looked shocked and I don't think it was staged.  And it couldn't be for ratings because it was the last award of the night.  Moonlight's whole moment was stolen because of some bullshit! :lmao:  But boy, was it entertaining to see LLL producers thanking everyone and they lost BP. :lmao:  Class act from Horowitz but he didn't have to snatch the envelope from Warren Beatty like that. :lmao: 

• Upvote 1

I felt bad for Warren too honestly, he was clearly confused and yeah instead of saying hey this shit is wrong here before announcing he tried to get mommy dearest to help him out but her ass just announced the wrong movie.

tumblr_ofybcdja691r1ult6o1_400.gif

Hopefully no one tries to come for her with hard feelings

Related image

The Men of Moonlight are the new faces for CK™ underwear campaign

Moonlight CK adds

Edited by kidfresh832

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched Moonlight and Manchester by the Sea.

Moonlight was just fantastic, I was surprised I liked it so much.  The acting was great, the story had more beats than you would have thought.  It has strong gay themes, but it is no way cliché at all.  It is just as much about growing up black and poor, as it is black and gay.  It touches on incarceration in the black community, fatherless homes, drugs, coming of age story.  Just really excellent imo..

I just watched Moonlight and it was such a good movie. I can see why it won Best Film. 

The story was moving and powerful. The journey the main character had was profound. I love when a movie just gives you that emotional connection.

The ending had me in tears. 

Edited by KellyGame
  • Upvote 2

I just watched Moonlight and it was such a good movie. I can see why it won Best Film. 

The story was moving and powerful. The journey the main character had was profound. I love when a movie just gives you that emotional connection.

it was great.. really well done 

That diner scene had my heart pounding as nervous and anxious as the characters lol. The movie was fantastic, but I can say the last act was my favorite and what made it real life to me

• Upvote 1

That diner scene had my heart pounding as nervous and anxious as the characters lol. The movie was fantastic, but I can say the last act was my favorite and what made it real life to me

The entire diner scene I was nervous af. You can feel the emotions of both characters.

The moment after he said what he said in that last scene.. you can physically see his guard go down... he was so vulnerable. I was done after that. 

• Upvote 1

The entire diner scene I was nervous af. You can feel the emotions of both characters.

The moment after he said what he said in that last scene.. you can physically see his guard go down... he was so vulnerable. I was done after that. 

I just love when the tension from scenes and the emotion is so on point you feel it in your seat! 

And that transition tho, hes now a man, and has a completely different attitude and vibe and persona. But when hes on the phone with Kev and through that whole diner scene until he got to Kev's apartment, he turnes back to the insecure nervous kid he was, and we saw him in the car & at the apartment slowly let that go......stunning really.

• Upvote 1

Moonlight was great.  Great casting.  I love how all the "Chiron's" resembled each other throughout the movie.  I re-watched it over the weekend and it still gets me.  Juan represented masculinity at his best.  He never passed judgment on Chiron and acted as a father figure.  Most black men would have called him faggot or sissy and left him to the world.  I'm glad they showed a straight black man showing interest in a kid that happened to be gay.  Powerful.

• Upvote 2

Amen, like I was conflicted about Ali's (I dont wanna butcher his 1st name) nomination & win because although the role is as great as it is, its not very long (much to my surprise) and I am a bit iffy about actors getting awards & nominations for only a few scenes.

However, this is a worthy acception. I dont think there's been a character like this....and this character needs to inspire boys & men in real life in the black and Hispanic communities. So yes, take it all Ali!

Like speaking of which, TARAJI.....HIDDEN FIGURES! Taraji was not worthy of her nomination for Benjamin Button, part was WAY too small & not very significant. SHE DESERVED A NOMINATION  (a win is debateable) FOR HIDDEN FIGURES! Thats not a typical Taraji role, she owned that and made forget all about Cookie and all her hood girl roles, she showed that college training with that role to me. And I am a fan of hers and been one since Baby Boy,  but she's severely type-cast, so this was what her career needed.

• Upvote 2

Like speaking of which, TARAJI.....HIDDEN FIGURES! Taraji was not worthy of her nomination for Benjamin Button, part was WAY too small & not very significant. SHE DESERVED A NOMINATION  (a win is debateable) FOR HIDDEN FIGURES! Thats not a typical Taraji role, she owned that and made forget all about Cookie and all her hood girl roles, she showed that college training with that role to me. And I am a fan of hers and been one since Baby Boy,  but she's severely type-cast, so this was what her career needed.

Hidden figures was beautiful... inspiring.. i cried 

• Upvote 1

Hidden figures was beautiful... inspiring.. i cried 

HF was also really good.. like I said before I, I felt like Taraji should've gotten the nomination over Olivia..

but there was something I felt was a little too "Hollywood" about the movie overall..

Amen, like I was conflicted about Ali's (I dont wanna butcher his 1st name) nomination & win because although the role is as great as it is, its not very long (much to my surprise) and I am a bit iffy about actors getting awards & nominations for only a few scenes.

However, this is a worthy acception. I dont think there's been a character like this....and this character needs to inspire boys & men in real life in the black and Hispanic communities. So yes, take it all Ali!

Judi Dench won an Oscar for 8 minutes of screen time.  Yes, Juan was gone by Act II, but I felt he was needed throughout the movie.  I would have loved to see his interaction with Chiron when he was a teenager.  So Mahershala deserved the win because he was missed throughout the movie.  He was calm and not showy like other actors.  You could tell by his facial expressions, his mannerisms, and of course, him being a drug dealer led him to that Oscar. LMAO. 

• Upvote 1