Flop Music Industry Is Here To Stay

EphraimAdamz

music-industry.jpg

The music industry is down 64% from its 90's peak.

The music industry is down 45% from where it was in 1973.

The overall conclusion is that the music industry is actually doing much worse now than ever. 10 years ago the average American spent almost 3 times as much on recorded music products as they do today. 26 years ago they spent almost twice as much as they do today.

Turns out that, somewhat unsurprisingly, the recording industry makes almost all their money from full-length albums. Equally unsurprising, no one is buying full albums any more.

music-industry.jpg

Downloaded albums & singles have grown nicely, but we’ve already established that is not nearly enough to offset the loss of the physical equivalents.

Mobile, which includes “Master Ringtunes, Ringbacks, Music Videos, Full Length Downloads, and Other Mobile”, hit its peak in 2007 and has actually been in decline the past 2 years. Looks like the death of the ringtone - and possibly the birth of the iPhone?

Subscriptions – presumably Rhapsody, Zune Pass, and the like — have also drifted downward the past 2 years.

To reiterate what I was very surprised to find: two of the big new areas, mobile and subscriptions, appear to both already be in decline.

That only leaves internet & satellite radio – Pandora, etc — and others that pay via SoundExchange. It had a good uptick since 2007, but that’s when they negotiated royalty rates for online broadcasters. Even if they maintain some solid growth, it still adds up to a pittance.

Looks like the smaller and shrinking recorded music industry is here to stay.

Read more: http://www.businessi...2#ixzz2KLrxtBh1

I hate to see the album die as a format though, I love concepts and artists expressing their ideas through albums with themes. I used to get my Chrysler check on Friday, head to Best Buy and spend 60 bucks on CDs like fuck it, but keeping it 100........why do that when the shit is free ? :coffee: My Itunes library crash and its not backed up its just a long day at piratebay

They get paid from touring.. The label gets the money from physical (and digital) sales.. :umm: for now anyways :shifty:

With the Internet, anyone could get a hit

yea it's touring.....but if I were an artist my music I would find some way to get some coin off it....not all acts are touring acts ...some are just great musicians
  • Upvote 1

What you're seeing is a generation gap being reflected through the music industry and other formats...

End of physical CD stores, end of blockbuster, end of the pay phone. Look around you, it's happening everywhere. The way you apply for a job from home, the way you purchase your food through self check out.

These are Generation Z people. Gen Z are highly "connected," born into lifelong use of communication and media technology like the world wide web, instant messaging, text messaging, MP3 players, and mobile phones. earning them the nickname "digital natives".

The question now becomes how can the music industry appeal to these people? Someone has to figure out what 'sounds' work to the iTunes population. What kind of music attracts a quick click buy. What album 'style' (ie. conceptual album, long play, short play etc.) will persuade people to buy the full album digitally and not just single tunes... What sound will do all that, whilst working well with areas of marketing, like radio, tv etc.

What you're seeing is a generation gap being reflected through the music industry and other formats...

End of physical CD stores, end of blockbuster, end of the pay phone. Look around you, it's happening everywhere. The way you apply for a job from home, the way you purchase your food through self check out.

These are Generation Z people. Gen Z are highly "connected," born into lifelong use of communication and media technology like the world wide web, instant messaging, text messaging, MP3 players, and mobile phones. earning them the nickname "digital natives".

The question now becomes how can the music industry appeal to these people? Someone has to figure out what 'sounds' work to the iTunes population. What kind of music attracts a quick click buy. What album 'style' (ie. conceptual album, long play, short play etc.) will persuade people to buy the full album digitally and not just single tunes... What sound will do all that, whilst working well with areas of marketing, like radio, tv etc.

This may be a little out there, intellectually speaking, but on NPR they were talking about digital books and someone has created a way to discover how long someone reads a book before they either finish it or stop altogether. What they found is that some books lose their readers at about 35% after only reading a few chapters. Now the application of this discovery is they can now tell authors that if your content is "engineered" this way you can keep readers and thus sell books.

I hadn't thought of if until now, but think how an application like the above could apply to music. How many songs are you playing from that album? How many times do you play that album? What songs never get played? I think there is something to this, now of course Itunes has access to all this data because your play counts and all is there, now imagine taking all that data from all Itunes users and analyzing it for what people want and what they dont

Doesn't matter.. as long as we're connected... there's will always be a way to get music for free

This may be a little out there, intellectually speaking, but on NPR they were talking about digital books and someone has created a way to discover how long someone reads a book before they either finish it or stop altogether. What they found is that some books lose their readers at about 35% after only reading a few chapters. Now the application of this discovery is they can now tell authors that if your content is "engineered" this way you can keep readers and thus sell books.

I hadn't thought of if until now, but think how an application like the above could apply to music. How many songs are you playing from that album? How many times do you play that album? What songs never get played? I think there is something to this, now of course Itunes has access to all this data because your play counts and all is there, now imagine taking all that data from all Itunes users and analyzing it for what people want and what they dont

That's not gonna make them money.. unless they focus on purchased music...

I have 7300 songs in my iTunes.. I can guarantee you that all those songs haven't been purchased... so what good is the data if people aren't purchasing it... They're just going to out what I skip on this day but listen to on that day... It doesn't really prove anything

Doesn't matter.. as long as we're connected... there's will always be a way to get music for free

I don't buy shit, but brand loyalty does still exist, Madonna perfect example, this bitch didn't sell well with MDNA, it fell the most in the soundscan era after debut, YET she can fill arenas with the gays that are die hard we are not going anywhere. I do believe there is something of value with brand loyalty people who will pay to see you or get your product as long as your name is on it. At some point I had certain artists I didn't have to hear their CDs before I bought them, I simply knew I buy Janet, I buy Madonna etc

on a social note, sadly I think the more "connected" digitally we are, the less we socialize with live people...and that has some huge implications too

Aren't we still social if I'm talking to you to your face or x miles away on my computer screen

Plus people make mistakes which is why we turn to technology... less mistakes.. less errors

That's not gonna make them money.. unless they focus on purchased music...

I have 7300 songs in my iTunes.. I can guarantee you that all those songs haven't been purchased... so what good is the data if people aren't purchasing it... They're just going to out what I skip on this day but listen to on that day... It doesn't really prove anything

I think you missed my point, much like the government's secret surveillance of emails, phone calls and the like, no one is asking your permission in what I propose, what I propose is if you download Itunes, no matter how you get music on it, as long as its on there, its fair game to our tech telling us what you play when you play it. You want that album art work for the album you just downloaded for free from Piratebay, that gives us access to your data, you want to use Itunes AT ALL we have a program and a huge data base that tracks every and any move you make

Aren't we still social if I'm talking to you to your face or x miles away on my computer screen

Plus people make mistakes which is why we turn to technology... less mistakes.. less errors

our humanity is being lost. For example, I had an old professor, genius guy, horrible lecturer, he said he could care less about ebooks, they could never replace the nostalgia of holding a real book, turning the pages, checking out a book from a library only to find the ashes of a cigar in the pages, there is value in what he had to say that as someone younger than him I could not completely dismiss, I love my physical books, I love looking at my bookshelf like I read that, and I had the author sign that book....my point is our digital lives are too sanitary and they completely miss out on the vigor that real live interactions give us
  • Upvote 1

and don't get me started on what we are losing in our so called perfection digital world, my mom loves her old school and she makes CDs for friends that want to hear this and that, the problem is when I try to help her Im like that song isnt online or it isn't in good quality, in short, we are losing a lot of data from the fact it simply isn't being preserved ....Black music to name one....it's like a tree falling in a Forrest...if you don't upload it whose gonna know?

• Upvote 1

Its just not the same I have thought many times to myself no matter how annoying you are here, I clearly remember the Norman I met before seeing Janet, he was kinda shy, talkative and pleasant. I would not get that here :coffee:

If it involves beating naked folks on the street with a belt...no ...no sir.....

After the first single they should present their album as mix, megamix, mashup.

---------------------------

My name is Rihanna. I sell great in the singles market, but no one really buys my albums.

Instead of releasing single after single, I'm only going to release ONE single.

Next I'm going to hire the best DJ and release a 10 minute promotional megamix of the album (Maybe even make a video out of it and add visuals). This gives listeners a chance to hear approximately 45 seconds of each song in the same savvy fashion they would hear music at a night club or live tour. They get a taste of the album without having immediate access to the full songs. If they want the full songs they can only do so by purchasing the whole album in it's entirety (ex. Zip File).

By doing this you're

A) Exposing the full catalog of the album to the ears of people who would of probably only heard/purchased the singles if it were not for the megamix.

C )Forcing them to purchase the CD in its entirety. People may have only like one or two songs on the megamix, but now they have to buy the whole album to get access to the songs that they liked. And if they are so bent on only buying a few key songs that they liked then make them pay more.