Your Opinion on Increasing Minimum Wage in this Country.

Rock & Roll Hall of Game

As many have seen either in person or in the news, minimum wage in this country is far below what it should be. It is not in-par with inflation or the cost-of-living...

So What Do you think? Should someone with no education or no future and someone who doesn't want an education make as much as $12-15/hour instead of $6-8?

Someone posted this photo on FB which is why I asked

1452201_553657051395438_2124709046_n.jpg

A job is a job. No matter if you're working at McDonald's or the CEO of a major company.

We get caught in thinking that just because someone wasn't able to achieve more in life (for whatever reasons) that they are less and that it's "okay" for them to be punished with low wage jobs and living in poverty.

It's not okay and it should be raised.

• Upvote 5

It should be raised. People are forgetting that not everyone taking these jobs actually wants to be there or feels settled there. A solid portion of them have little to no choice with this economy or with their lot in life and so they have to take what they can get. If alot of them had their choice, they wouldn't be there. It's just that for one reason or another they couldn't get better. It's not always their own fault. Also, with as much wealth as this country creates we shouldn't have so many people who do work and have families to support ending up so low below the poverty line. People should be able to meet the needs of themselves and their families (if applicable). We can't pull everyone out of poverty, unfortunately, but we can do more than we're doing.

Addressing the photo, serving in the military comes with a number of benefits. Yes, there are ways where the government isn't treating our soldiers/veterans as well as it should be which is another problem to fix. However, it doesn't mean that the minimum wage shouldn't be raised. Like TOF said, a job is a job. I hate that "my problem is bigger than your problem" mentality that people use especially if both parties have it pretty bad in their own ways. We need to create solutions, not bicker about who has it worse.

• Upvote 4

The low paying burger flipping jobs should be seen as starter jobs. That is what you do in high school. If you are making it a career then you fucked up somewhere in life. Same with cashiers at Wal-mart they shouldn't be completely unable to feed themselves but fuck.

But a lot of those people aren't educated nor do they have the funds to educate themselves.. So they get jobs that don't require a college degree.. They still have to live and eat... And if it's a teenager, they still need to save money for college..

The biggest thing for Republican is to get people off of public assistance but they don't want to do the things that would get them off.. They're afraid that Big Mac is going to cost them .50 cents more..

• Upvote 1

The low paying burger flipping jobs should be seen as starter jobs. That is what you do in high school. If you are making it a career then you fucked up somewhere in life. Same with cashiers at Wal-mart they shouldn't be completely unable to feed themselves but fuck.

Not every person can be this successful.. Not every person has the brains or drive but a lot of people have children... Whether on purpose or not, these children, the poor, they shouldn't have to suffer bc the rich and elites think that their job is not worthy

People don't look at the big picture when talking about minimum wage. If you increase minimum wage all the following will take place:

Prices will go up for everything, not just fast food

Workers will be laid off

Remaining workers will be forced to do even more

My solution for people who "can't raise a family on minimum wage", don't start a family until you get an education, and get married. If you have a kid before getting married, try to live with family, and still finish your education, and save, save save.

It kills me watching the news when someone says something like "I'm a single mother with 4 kids and I can't feed my kids on minimum wage", I'm like, bitch why have 4 kids before you know how you will feed them? Why have kids for deadbeats who can't afford to feed them? Why not get tubes tied after first illegitimate birth or at least use condoms? Is safe sex only for gay men?

People don't look at the big picture when talking about minimum wage. If you increase minimum wage all the following will take place:

Prices will go up for everything, not just fast food

Workers will be laid off

Remaining workers will be forced to do even more

My solution for people who "can't raise a family on minimum wage", don't start a family until you get an education, and get married. If you have a kid before getting married, try to live with family, and still finish your education, and save, save save.

It kills me watching the news when someone says something like "I'm a single mother with 4 kids and I can't feed my kids on minimum wage", I'm like, bitch why have 4 kids before you know how you will feed them? Why have kids for deadbeats who can't afford to feed them? Why not get tubes tied after first illegitimate birth or at least use condoms? Is safe sex only for gay men?

Raising the minimum wage will not cause soaring prices, layoffs, etc... If anything, it would increase the nation's GDP. The minimum wage increase should be on par with the cost of living

You cannot judge people for having families. And you cannot judge them for not going to an overly expensive school meanwhile he or she are making 7.25$ an hour.. :umm: what kind of logic is that? Your 'solution' is full of holes.

You can't change the past.. But you can improve the future.. Those 4 kids are suffering bc The rich doesn't want to give the poor a few dollars an hour

As the pope said.. Trickle-down economy is a failed economy (paraphrased)

• Upvote 3