Jaden Smith wears a dress...

Bailey

Jaden Smith Wears a Dress, Doesn’t Care What You Think
Lauren TuckNews Editor April 10, 2015
68f3b126a7118428a1c14880493310672752990b

At just 16, Jaden Smith has already cultivated a sense of style all his own. Cheetah is his favorite print, harem pants are on frequent rotation, and oversized T-shirts are his signature. Recently, he’s been adding some more feminine elements to his look. “Went To TopShop To Buy Some Girl Clothes, I Mean “Clothes,"” he wrote on Instagram. The results of his shopping trip? At least one black dress, which he was spotted sporting in California on Friday. 

The long-sleeved black jersey dress was layered with a white crochet tank on top, denim cutoffs underneath, and a long pendant. His outfit was very athleisure-inspired as he paired it with high socks in his favorite animal pattern and Nike sneakers. 

But because this is America and it’s a guy wearing a girl’s article of clothing, the haters obviously had something to say about it. One called it “attention seeking behavior,” many just left it “LOL,” and one graceful grandparent wrote, “I’m thankful my Grandchildren don’t act or dress like Hollywooders!” Yet still others are all about Smith’s latest look. One Twitter user said Smith’s his “spirit animal. Mike Basile posed the question, “Is it bad to say Jaden Smith is my hero?” 

But really, why is this any different from when a woman wears men’s clothing? Women “shop” their boyfriends’ closets all the time or purposely purchase items from the opposite gender’s section and no one seems to care, in fact, it gets called a fashion statement. In a time when fashion is become more fluid and genderless, let’s look to Smith as a trailblazer as opposed to an outlier.

You know, say what you will...but I LOVE how Will & Jada has raised their kids. They have the most courageous kids ever who say "Fuck the worlds standards" in so many ways. We need to teach more kids to be individuals instead of falling in line with the rest just to make society comfortable. Let's rattle the fickin cage! Change ppl views, and challenge what they were conditioned to believe.

• Upvote 1

I understand that most are disgusted or uncomfortable by people not confined by society's gender roles.. And this is the real world where people would judge him but those people need to look in the mirror and judge themselves

Agreed. We're programmed to be scared of anything different.