THE GUARDIAN: "Janet Jackson: 10 of the best"

SonofBaldwin

LOL!

Although, it has "Empty" on it, so it's valid again.

LOL!

Empty

In a Pitchfork article on TLC’s 1999 album FanMail, Lindsay Zoladz investigates that album’s foreshadowing of today’s sense of dislocation brought on by technology, at one point referring to it as “a transmission from the future”. On The Velvet Rope, Janet pre-empted them on the futuristic, glitchy ballad Empty, a song that anticipated Tinder by about 15 years. Fascinated by the implications of people connecting to others through a computer (“I wonder what kind of reality that creates, and what kind of romantic frustrations it produces,” she mused at the time), it perfectly sums up both the illicit thrill of communicating and sharing intimate details with a stranger and the oddly unsatisfying dislocation that can create (“if I can’t read your thoughts, then I feel empty”). While FanMail’s overriding conceptual approach now seems dated, the way Empty is constructed still feels forward-thinking, even with the slightly hackneyed, looped modem sound that forms part of the song’s intro. In fact, part of Empty’s majesty comes from the sonic layering; that initial modem sound quickly joined by a cluster of glacial bell sounds, a two-stepesque scattershot beat that seems to mirror the tap-tap of a keyboard, and processed choir that harmonises with the very human lilt of Jackson’s sweet vocal. Out of all the enduring Janet Jackson songs, Empty feels like the one most referenced in 2015, specifically in the fusion of electronic music and R&B showcased by artists such as FKA twigs and Kelela. 

I love that its recognised but its even a well known single. Shout out to JJ & TL because you really cant define the production...there really is nothing like it. My life would be over if she ever performed it live. OVER!

Seriously Janet or whoever might read this anonmously that is a part of her team needs to express how important and iconic it would be for Janet to perform
"Empty".....it could very well be a huge production in itself!  For all I care release it as single and music video.  Such a beautiful song that is the most deserving of a resurrection!  Come through Janet.  Come through!