Janet Jackson fans upset after PNC Music Pavilion traffic 'disaster'

Bailey

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/entertainment/music-news-reviews/article36002220.html

Janet Jackson has come and gone from the Charlotte area after her comeback concert, but some of her fans are still remembering the night they call a disaster. Concert goers are speaking out about the traffic nightmare they experienced getting to the concert.

Fans say roads getting to the concert were blocked with people trying to get to the concert. They claim there was no organization to take care of the many people attending the concert.

"I was heartbroken," Claire Gibbons said. "We had spent a significant amount of money and time to get there for something we thought would be a once in a lifetime opportunity to see Janet Jackson. Our dreams were absolutely dashed."

Gibbons traveled from Charleston, SC to see Janet Jackson. She says she spent $345 for her ticket, only to miss the concert. She booked a hotel just minutes away from PNC Music Pavilion. She said she did receive a traffic alert while she was at the hotel that there would be congestion. She had no idea what she would soon encounter.

"We left 40 minutes," Gibbons said. "We thought would be enough time to go four miles to make it to the concert, and we sat in traffic for two hours and 45 minutes and missed the entire show."

Gibbons was not alone. WBTV spoke to another person who missed the concert claiming traffic was to blame. They say there was a sea of cars trying to get to the PNC Music Pavilion. Those people are now seeking a refund.

Gibbons tells WBTV PNC Music Pavilion reached out to her and told her the company is figuring out a solution. She says it should be a refund.

"People were ditching their cars," Gibbons said. "Because there was no place to park, so it was an absolute traffic disaster with no CMP present."

Charlotte Mecklenburg Police and Charlotte Department of Transportation (CDOT) say they are looking to see if Friday's concern traffic woes could have been prevented.

WBTV reached out to PNC Music Pavilion.

"As we near the conclusion of our 25th concert season, the parking situation for the Janet Jackson show was something that we have not experienced at this venue," pavilion officials wrote. "We are currently analyzing the factors which came together to cause the situation so that we can take appropriate action to ensure it does not happen again. We apologize to the fans for any inconvenience this may have caused them and hope that they will continue to enjoy all the great shows at the venue."

The statement continued, "If patrons have any questions or comments they wish to share, we can be reached at PNC Music Pavilion at 704-549-1292."

Gibbons sent a tweet stating PNC was doing refunds to concert goers who missed the concert, PNC has not confirmed that to WBTV.

traffic was horrible bc ppl in NC can't drive...they dont understand how to take turns when merging, and ppl would let whole lines of cars go.....this one bitch had me sitting behind her for 20 min...then the NY'er came out in me, and i started blowing my horn....after that, i just went around her, met some ppl from Georgia, and we got out the venue in like 10min -_-