TwistedElegance's Top 50 Singles of 2015

TwistedElegance™

dsPXiqO.jpgiAXewoz.gif

"The Hills"

The Weeknd

Though 2015 was a breakout year for The Weeknd, fans converted through his affiliations with sickly-sweet popette Ariana Grande and the Fifty Shades of Grey soundtrack may have been blindsided by the flagrant nature of his core material, notably lyrics here like "I just fucked two bitches 'fore I saw you." Indeed, a favourite comment of mine read, "When it comes to being a Don Juan with a dark side, this guy makes Christian Grey look like Ned Flanders". Longtime fans of the Canadian singer and producer will tell you his crooked melodic instincts and emotional depth are no reinvention. With The Hills he remembered that a solid tune is needed too if he's to be confirmed as a true innovator of R&B.

stZDSv8.jpgfRRpsoh.gif

"Gosh"

Jamie xx

Introverted and deceptively fragile, Jamie xx has been a cult figure for almost a decade now. His predilection for the slightly mournful side of UK garage made for a solo debut of sprawling, irresistible space jams. The initially shapeless clatter of In Colour's opening track unraveled to reveal a floating hook guaranteed to charm anyone fond of The xx's flair for pensive dreampop. Best of all, Gosh retained all the allure of the most hypnotic electronica with none of the digital cliches.

4tm8iWu.jpguY7fA5m.gif

"The Less I Know the Better"

Tame Impala

Kevin Parker's great virtue is that, although meticulously orchestrated, he wears his experimentation lightly. Tame Impala's third album was a gorgeously understated blend of psychedelic pop and tastefully restrained progressive folk, exhibited impeccably on The Less I Know the Better. Wonderfully spacious and deriving an easy-going charm from his hazy vocals, the key to the song's appeal laid in the interplay between Parker's woozy, stoner-ish delivery and the ambient drift of his production. Timeless, and worth every moment.

FBatuG8.jpgHetsszg.gif

"Lean On"

Major Lazer & DJ Snake feat. 

Both of Major Lazer's previous albums hinted at hidden depths of erractic genius, so six years after their debut it was gratifying to finally hear them strike electro gold. Peace Is the Mission is arguably their least ambitious record, but in tunes such as Lean On they still managed to scale new heights of EDM brilliance. Along with trap maestro DJ Snake, the kings of fusion turned out a deluge of swelling drums and rubbery synths against which MØ was free to weave her voice around. It takes a powerful pop sensibility to stop those elements from melding into insipid clutter, and given it spawned their most successful single to date it's the best indication of where Major Lazer might go next.

Oh wow, I'm kinda surprised "Can't Feel My Face" got the shaft! Very interesting ~ and I really like the Tame Impala song! ^_^

I have a prediction for the #1 but it's probably wrong lol

I do love that song, his other singles resonated with me more though.

I have a feeling you may know... :lol:

I had a dream that this was Spotify playlist 

Well.. More like a thought :shifty: 

I tried to make it one but there's no Taylor on Spotify.

This list is invalid. Not one song from Cisus. 

Shut up.

Actually, she came close with DLWML, but I like the video more than the song. -_-

No. 1!

vph9GnT.jpg4UhAcwE.gif

"King Kunta"

Kendrick Lamar

It's when an artist diverts from the conventional path that they really justify the regard in which they're held. King Kunta was a strutting, moon-stomping, psychedelic workout - an unexpected moment on an album packed with them - which for me truly signaled the birth of something monumental. Built upon a number of samples and interpolations from mavericks including James Brown and Michael Jackson, a lesser artist might have been engulfed by the frenzy. There is a slick craftsmanship to the production here, but it's the Compton MC's witty presence that really shines through. Bursting with intrigue and joy, it's proof that Kendrick Lamar is evolving at a furious pace.

• Upvote 2