TwistedElegance's Top 50 Singles of 2015

TwistedElegance™

o6emNwr.jpgGxzEnss.gif

"Going On 16"

Daniel Johns

On the evidence of Daniel Johns's long-awaited debut album, the former Silverchair frontman should have hit the solo trek years ago. Packed with irrepressible Miike Snow-esque harmonies and scintillating melodic arrangements, it's about as far removed from his ragged post-grunge days as one could imagine. Going On 16 displayed the rhythmic backbone of early Prince while its airy chorus gave reign to his recent love of medium tempos and ethereal tones. Understatement suits him, and for anyone not willing to jump aboard his atmospheric trip across musical frontiers, it's their loss. The video was a knockout, too.

WaLmqF9.pngXpPtyLD.gif

"All That"

Carly Rae Jepsen

It's easy to underrate Carly Rae Jepsen because of her generic pop traditionalism. But to listen to All That is to marvel at her treasure trove of influences and to register how seamlessly she flows between the grating cheesiness of her biggest hits and the refined sophistication on display here. Aided by Dev Hynes and Ariel Rechtshaid, her nod to the gentler side of new wave was sublime, recalling a time when romantic songs were produced with just enough irony to appease our intelligence and not everything felt like an homage.

ncB7t0Z.jpgtCnYzyA.gif

"The Wolf"

Mumford & Sons

Mumford & Sons have come a long way from the fine-grained banjo-heavy days of Sigh No More. Tapping into a pool of influences from Eric Clapton to The Rolling Stones, The Wolf tackled themes of loss and desire with a novel sense of dignity and enthusiasm reminiscent of bands like U2 and Coldplay, both of whom lived to tell the tales of their artistic makeovers. Their take on alternative rock may have sounded like all the big stadium acts rolled into one, but that frenzied energy and the intelligence of their lyrics added the stamp of strong personality.

HqLVUeU.pngEUFC1RD.gif

"Do You Remember"

Jarryd James

Given the current vogue for alternative R&B, popularised by everyone from Solange to Daniel Johns, the release of Jarryd James's debut was well timed. Finely lacquered with creamy harmonies and a soft, dreary beat, the sleepy melody of Do You Remember was balanced perfectly by a layer of grit beneath the lyrics, making it sound as much like simmering discontent as an ode to love lost. The velvety timbre in James's voice exhibits a vulnerable, human quality, adapted here to hit a succession of raw and exposed nerves. Mesmerisingly beautiful.

axqaMRw.pnggjwi8GB.gif

"Truffle Butter"

Nicki Minaj feat. Drake & Lil Wayne

By popular consensus, Nicki Minaj is the new Nicki Minaj. Ever since she had the rationality not to continue down techno-house's diminishing path her audience has been left confounded yet ultimately appreciative, for The Pinkprint didn't merely evoke the glory era that was her debut, it signaled an artistic resurrection. The sheer simplicity of Truffle Butter's ingredients (electro sample, three whip-smart verses, no chorus) sketched out a far grander plan than you'd imagine possible, with the pared-back approach putting the spotlight right back where it should be: on her rapping prowess.

• Upvote 1

I stumbled upon Daniel Johns's "Aerial Love" earlier this year ~ that was the one song I heard before viewing your list.

I heard surprisingly good things about Carly's new music. I grew to really like "Run Away With Me," and I agree "All That" is even better.

• Upvote 2

Not Truffle being so high....:huh:

I was kind of obsessed with that song.

I guess that means "Feeling Myself" won't make the cut -_- 

Correct. Although over a long period of time it did grow on me.

I stumbled upon Daniel Johns's "Aerial Love" earlier this year ~ that was the one song I heard before viewing your list.

I heard surprisingly good things about Carly's new music. I grew to really like "Run Away With Me," and I agree "All That" is even better.

His album is one of my favourites this year.

Yeah, she wasn't on my radar because I didn't like anything she put out last time. I was pleasantly surprised.

Im not mad "Truffle Butter" is up there, I dont think I would really take apart the rankings, the fact it made the list is the business though :good:

I think one thing Nicki got wrong with The Pinkprint was the single choices. They were mostly terrible. That song really made an impression on me.

Waits patiently for the write up to Jesus Better Have My Money. #Pray4ANTi

Did LORDe make the cut? 

I'm hoping "Flex" makes it as well since it's the hip hop bop of the year. 

Two out of those three have made it.

at least top 25?

I can see that. It didn't quite get there for me but I love every one of these songs.

TQqmxju.pngejajFpt.gif

"Love Me Like You Do"

Ellie Goulding

She may have spent the first half of her career paddling through folktronica's more credible waters, but Ellie Goulding has inched closer to pop's centre with each release since sleeper hit Lights climbed to US No. 2 in 2012. Not surprisingly, she made a play for the top tier with the colossal Love Me Like You Do, one of two Top 5 hits from Fifty Shades of Grey. Like the film it was a barrage of exaggerated and self-indulgent compassion, but distinctly unlike the film it made for an unabashedly palatable experience, reminiscent of the overblown but irresistible atmospherics found on the biggest soundtrack hits of the '90s.

62BM14Z.jpgJihPtea.gif

"...goingtohell"

Miguel

"Are you afraid of me? Because I'm afraid of you." That line set the tone for Miguel to inflate his technicolour vision with this toxic tale of longing. Three years on from Kaleidoscope Dream, expectations were high. Unhinged yet warm, ...goingtothell - as with the rest of Wildheart - sounded both old and new, and in doing so made much of his competition sound shallow and inattentive. Producers Benny Blanco and Cashmere Cat contributed intricately to the mix, full of rousing swirls, staccato drumwork and even the hum of a Harley Davidson. This was R&B at its risk-taking best.

g7hlR5O.jpgJSQbdV6.gif

"Downtown"

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis feat. Eric Nally, Melle Mel, Kool Moe Dee & Grandmaster Caz

For a while it didn't look as if Macklemore & Ryan Lewis would return to the dorky but entertaining clutter which made Thrift Shop such dumb fun. After all, Same Love broke sensitive new ground for popular music and The Heist won a grammy. They nevertheless proved themselves rather lovable idiots again on the impossibly tireless Downtown. Undeniably influenced by the hyperactive fizz of Uptown Funk, the duo stopped just short of sampling the song and instead unleashed Eric Nally on its chorus. His inexhaustible presence stole the show, but that's not to say the main players were absent on what was the most unashamedly goodtime record of the year.

04VzFZM.jpg9DNybKp.gif

"Elastic Heart"

Sia

More than twenty years into her capricious career, Sia Furler can be relied upon to do the unexpected. Around eighteen months ago, as she hit the promo circuit for 1000 Forms of Fear with her face covered by visors, walls and even a mattress, the Aussie singer/songwriter's reinvention was complete. Bizarre, sure, but the main development of it all was that she had rediscovered her solo legs. The dreamlike pychedelia of Elastic Heart conjured a spirit of defiance through its chorus and was as convincing as Chandelier in demonstrating that, for all Sia's skirting around the mainstream penning hits for others, she herself is on her way to becoming an essential pop star.

E0bidJW.jpgPwjZjyB.gif

"Ghost Town"

Adam Lambert

From Moby to the Pet Shop Boys, many sensitive men have bared their souls over electronic music. The sometime Queen frontman's fist-clenched vocals and ear for a whopping chorus saw his love of grandstanding '80s synthpop reach a dizzying new height here. In a year dominated by Max Martin co-writes it has understandably ranked as one of the hitmaker's less commercial performers, but for mine this was 2015's best example of the super producer's golden touch. He and Lambert took Freddie Mercury's blueprint for strident self-confidence, spiked it with eerie whistle effects and shimmied their way to perfection.

So no James or Weathered but that crap Ellie song makes it?

tumblr_miuo5nqeIY1s49x9io1_500.gif

Maybe if I were covering the best sleeping aides of the year.

"Can't Deny My Love" is a fucking anthem; I can't believe it flopped as hard as it did. "Love Me Like Udu" also ranked high on my top 10 and "Cool for December" was actually my #1. :lol:

Can't wait to read the rest!

Yes it is! This was a great year for full-blown pop shout-alongs.

I was kind of obsessed with that song.

I think one thing Nicki got wrong with The Pinkprint was the single choices. They were mostly terrible. That song really made an impression on me.

The problem with "Truffle Butter" was performing that one live, I saw her in concert and she did her verse, but since the song basically features her and two other artists she couldnt do the entire song, so in concert we got like maybe 1 min tops of "Truffle Butter"<_<

Maybe if I were covering the best sleeping aides of the year.

Yes it is! This was a great year for full-blown pop shout-alongs.

Let's not when you have Demi Lavato and Carly Shit Jensen there :rolleyes:Weathered was one of the best songs released this year. If I see Lana then that sleeping aide comment will be thrown back at you. 

tumblr_miuo5nqeIY1s49x9io1_500.gif+

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS at Jarryd James making it though. His EP was fantastic. 

Wow at Downtown making it so high though. It was too much of a Uptown Funk rip-off for me to like it. Same with Fleur East's Sax. 

Loving Adam's new music. 

Let's not when you have Demi Lavato and Carly Shit Jensen there :rolleyes:Weathered was one of the best songs released this year. If I see Lana then that sleeping aide comment will be thrown back at you. 

tumblr_miuo5nqeIY1s49x9io1_500.gif+

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS at Jarryd James making it though. His EP was fantastic. 

Wow at Downtown making it so high though. It was too much of a Uptown Funk rip-off for me to like it. Same with Fleur East's Sax. 

Loving Adam's new music. 

You need to embrace the flawless pop both of those girls are serving. :rolleyes: I love Lana but she lost me this era. It's all too familiar.

Downtown is so much fun though. Eric Nally is incredible. Was Fleur the X-Factor contestant? I've seen her pop up on Spotify recently.

You need to embrace the flawless pop both of those girls are serving. :rolleyes: I love Lana but she lost me this era. It's all too familiar.

Downtown is so much fun though. Eric Nally is incredible. Was Fleur the X-Factor contestant? I've seen her pop up on Spotify recently.

I've embraced Selena :wub:. People everywhere are praising EMOTION. Is it really good? I did like the one with Tom Hanks in the video - whatever it's called. I was going to listen to Demi's but I haven't had the chance yet. 

Yah Fleur was the X Factor contestant. Her debut album just came out a couple weeks ago. She's good but I have no desire to check her out. 

Can't wait to see the rest of the list :excited: 

I've embraced Selena :wub:. People everywhere are praising EMOTION. Is it really good? I did like the one with Tom Hanks in the video - whatever it's called. I was going to listen to Demi's but I haven't had the chance yet. 

Yah Fleur was the X Factor contestant. Her debut album just came out a couple weeks ago. She's good but I have no desire to check her out. 

Can't wait to see the rest of the list :excited: 

I embraced Selena too. Never cared for her until this year. Yes, definitely check out Carly Rae's album.

DNyMG8L.pngS6hBkNO.gif

"Earned It"

The Weeknd

Rightfully respected for his string of mixtapes in 2011 and overlooked debut album Kiss Land, The Weeknd slid effortlessly into the mainstream with this remarkable bite of stylistic R&B. Making all the right contemporary noises: live instrumentation, skittish strings and tinkering piano, the crowning jewel was the way his chilly falsetto succeeded in dropping an ice cube down the back of your shirt with each listen. Cool and spacious, the song benefited from those strikingly clean-cut ingredients, ultimately achieving elegance rather than crassness which, given the film it supported, was somewhat of a victory.

1M5jYZn.jpgVZbZ25Z.gif

"Magnets"

Disclosure feat. Lorde

It's an unwritten law of house music that a complex melody is as crucial as any big beat. And tellingly, Disclosure are always at their best when collaborating with pop stars. Since her debut, Lorde has had a very identifiable sound: shadowy mood music with a certain density to her delivery that does for the ears what a massage does for the body. Surprisingly, her voice worked well against a much more padded backdrop than she's used to, with the Lawrence brothers playing up its fragility rather than drowning it out. A strangely comforting blend, despite the lyrical content which made for seriously claustrophobic listening.

KBTRL2Y.pngvZf1lwj.gif

"The Rhythm"

MNEK

It's difficult to comprehend that MNEK has yet to cause much of a dent in the charts. His style is certainly distinctive enough to make a big solo mark, yet his brilliant Small Talk EP crept by largely unnoticed. The punchy but polished rush of The Rhythm created an atmosphere of delicious restlessness built around the singer's giant warble, and with its grab bag of wails, swooshes and pulverising drums, conveyed the rave scene convincingly. While it may not have taken off, it has surely - in some regard - established him as one of dance pop's future commanders.

vDiOdju.pngv7g2yUx.gif

"Bitch Better Have My Money"

Rihanna

Often the worst way to follow a great era is to try to start the next one quickly. Rihanna has proved to be the ultimate anomaly, pretty much laughing in the face of such talk ever since she prompted audiences to take her seriously with Good Girl Gone Bad. So after seven albums in as many years, fans commenced their first true period of waiting in the superstar's now decade-long career. Bitch Better Have My Money arrived on the back of the middling FourFiveSeconds (pleasant but forgettable), announcing its big, bad, belligerent self with all the delicacy of a Michael Bay film. Its not without its flaws, notably the haphazard final minute, but the singer's alarming sense of confidence and mischief made for a ravishingly dark thrill.

Wdqm9N3.jpgGLPn4k5.gif

"Need You Now"

Hot Chip

Defying all predictions, Hot Chip never quite succeeded beyond the non-commercial bounds of indietronica. The closest they came was with 2008's Made In the Dark, from which the brilliant Ready For the Floor went Top 10 in the UK. Since then their house music dalliances have made for some of the more vibrant and accessible tunes in their catalogue, and with Need You Now, their most affecting. Fashioned around ad-libs from I Need You Now - a semi-hit for female R&B trio Sinnamon in 1983 - the track dazed with it stunning bridge, at which point Alexis Taylor and Joe Goddard deadpan the line, "And if we try to stand alone, we'll be playing with a force beyond control", while waves of manicured melody wash around them.

• Upvote 3

5cUikms.jpgYuJZjSD.gif

"Where Are Ü Now"

Jack Ü & Justin Bieber

The world is hardly short of EDM acts, but as far as new duos go, Diplo and Skrillex deserved to rise above the pack. Their music has edge, but melody too. Loaded with hooks and harmony, their production gimmicks kick and howl, with the choppy, condensed rhythms exerted on Where Are Ü Now achieving a level of joyous intensity. Before this song, music had become a secondary concern to Justin Bieber, but here he reminded everyone that he had untapped reserves of energy, warmth and charisma. The road ahead is surely long, but it's hard to think this won't go down as one of the most assured singles of his career.

WUrXoGG.jpgDXAJNRe.gif

"No Sleeep"

Janet Jackson feat. J. Cole

A treat for anyone missing the way R&B used to be made, No Sleeep marked the first sign of a new studio project from Janet Jackson since 2008's underwhelming Discipline. Followers know that album featured zero creative input from the singer and lead to her parting company with Island Records barely six months after its release. So after seven years of pent up dissatisfaction, fans were finally rewarded with the news that longtime collaborators Jam + Lewis had returned, as well as the unveiling of her own label, Rhythm Nation Records. First offering No Sleeep was a tasteful piece of quiet storm nearly equal to past glories. J. Cole's loose-limbed flow worked perfectly over the gentle throb of the beat but the star turn belonged to Jackson's gorgeous honeyed vocals, there in all their layered glory at precisely 2:06.

hGwgJkM.jpgUB74SAg.gif

"Queen of Peace"

Florence + The Machine

Florence Welch has been arduously ploughing her own channel since Lungs catapulted her into the big league six years ago. How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful saw her continue to experiment with vocal textures whilst underpinning them with tones reminiscent of sunlit '70s rock and blues. The results were exquisite, capped by the towering Queen of Peace. A masterclass in melodrama, lines like "My love is no good against the fortress it made of you" were championed beautifully by Markus Dravs's blowtorch arrangement, all of which further certified Welch as one of the most vital and emotive voices of our lifetime.

goqHKfs.jpgGMiU4Ps.gif

"King"

Years & Years

Fastidious to a fault, there is something unceasingly engaging about Years & Years' brand of indie-pop. With thumping beats, echoed synths and an almost too-gleaming sheen, it seems as though they're actually trying to conceal the fact that their melodies can be very pretty on their own. But as demonstrated on King, there's no getting around it. The track emphasised and celebrated the sappy but endearing quality of Olly Alexander's voice, used to stunning effect on its soaring chorus. Like the rest of their debut, it was rich in character and left a lasting impression.

8XOtcTc.jpgIuvRFRB.gif

"Good For You"

Selena Gomez feat. A$AP Rocky

At any given time in America, irrespective of leading musical fashions, there will be a former tween sensation whose main preoccupation is to affirm her newfound sexual desire. Good For You was essentially that vehicle for Selena Gomez, however there's a lot to be said for understatement, and it's clear from first listen that the objective here was not to establish her as pop's number one nymphet. There is a lightness of touch to the production which proved indispensable, so whilst there was little to disguise the subject matter, at least Gomez's emancipation unfolded with grace rather than contrived animalism.