How much is enough? Let's talk Money

Bailey

Ok so Im watching CNN and this director who had success and money gave it all up because he was not happy. So Im sitting here watching this now, and I wonder, the question was put up how much is enough? How much money do you need to live a nice comfortable life? Lets put a yearly figure on it, I mean car, house, vacations, family, and extraneous stuff. For me I would not mind a yearly salary of about 125k I could vacation, eat out, pay the bills and live quite fine.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really depends on the standard of living in regards to where you live. Living in Atlanta, you could live nicely off $50k/yr. But in somewhere like DC, $50k/yr isn't gonna do anything but piss you off.

Money is like Janet, you can never have too much. :thumbup:

It really depends on the standard of living in regards to where you live. Living in Atlanta, you could live nicely off $50k/yr. But in somewhere like DC, $50k/yr isn't gonna do anything but piss you off.

Money is like Janet, you can never have too much. :thumbup:

this is about giving a number relative to you and your circumstances and expectations in Michigan depending on the area 50k could do you pretty much well anywhere

this is about giving a number relative to you and your circumstances and expectations in Michigan depending on the area 50k could do you pretty much well anywhere

No you can't. Trust me. $50k/yr here in DC isn't enough to survive off of unless you're a yuppie. In fact, nowhere north of the 36th Parallel can you live off $50k/yr comfortably and expect to retire with that amount. I remember when I was still living in CA (about 13 years ago) my mom was making $50k/yr and we didn't have everything we have now. Now that my mom makes more than twice that amount, and live outside of Atlana, we've done a lot more vacationing and leisurely spending.

Yeah, I'm gonna need to be making at least 100k, and I'm gonna need to be married to someone making at least that much. Basically - I need to live in a household where we're pulling in at least a few hundred thousand a year - not right at this moment in my life but say, by the time I'm in my 30s, hopefully. I get accustomed to certain things in life and like to be comfortable/flexible when it comes to money.

And, as Austin said, it definitely depends where you live. I am, unfortunately, a girl who prefers to live in a city, so I'd need to be earning more.

I'm also still living at home with my parents and living off of them and they won't tell me how much they make, so I'm not sure what our "comfortable" is, but I at least want to continue in the kind of lifestyle to which I've become accustomed, if not better.

Yeah, I'm gonna need to be making at least 100k, and I'm gonna need to be married to someone making at least that much. Basically - I need to live in a household where we're pulling in at least a few hundred thousand a year - not right at this moment in my life but say, by the time I'm in my 30s, hopefully. I get accustomed to certain things in life and like to be comfortable/flexible when it comes to money.

And, as Austin said, it definitely depends where you live. I am, unfortunately, a girl who prefers to live in a city, so I'd need to be earning more.

I'm also still living at home with my parents and living off of them and they won't tell me how much they make, so I'm not sure what our "comfortable" is, but I at least want to continue in the kind of lifestyle to which I've become accustomed, if not better.

Ok so what vices would you and your other half have? I mean Im trying to make this shit real basic, I mean I like to go to movies, dine out, sometimes travel, I spend a lot on eating out though, yet im a great cook. I don't have kids or another half so im responsible for me, my biggest issue is I don't do things cheap, I could have stayed in a cheap hotel and saved money in Vegas yet I was in a 160 a night hotel and loved it.

No you can't. Trust me. $50k/yr here in DC isn't enough to survive off of unless you're a yuppie. In fact, nowhere north of the 36th Parallel can you live off $50k/yr comfortably and expect to retire with that amount. I remember when I was still living in CA (about 13 years ago) my mom was making $50k/yr and we didn't have everything we have now. Now that my mom makes more than twice that amount, and live outside of Atlana, we've done a lot more vacationing and leisurely spending.

Now you're getting there....good boo boo...now what about ATL makes it so that living off 50k aint enough? Im telling you in Michigan this state is so poor and broke 50k is considered decent and respectable, not great no, but if you cutting that you good.

Now you're getting there....good boo boo...now what about ATL makes it so that living off 50k aint enough? Im telling you in Michigan this state is so poor and broke 50k is considered decent and respectable, not great no, but if you cutting that you good.

The standard of living in Atlanta is cheap. You can get a two bedroom apartment in Atlanta for like $600. If you try to get a two bedroom apartment in DC you're looking at $1000/mo if not more depending on where you live. God forbid you live near amenities, you'd be looking at $1700/mo. I've seen a two bedroom apartment go for $2000/mo and it was near the train station and a lo of other amenities.

Even though Michigan is experiencing a financial crisis, it's still somewhat of a lucrative state due to tourism, the steel mills, and other economic output.

Ok so what vices would you and your other half have? I mean Im trying to make this shit real basic, I mean I like to go to movies, dine out, sometimes travel, I spend a lot on eating out though, yet im a great cook. I don't have kids or another half so im responsible for me, my biggest issue is I don't do things cheap, I could have stayed in a cheap hotel and saved money in Vegas yet I was in a 160 a night hotel and loved it.

I don't necessarily consider certain comforts to be vices. I plan to have kids, so I'd like to live in a well-sized house in a nice area. I'd like to send them to private school. I'd like to have a nice car, though nothing ostentatious. I like to be able to travel internationally and do so in comfort (I mean, I'll ride in coach on a plane, but I'm used to staying in nice hotels). I don't cook, so I always eat out. I expect to have a cleaner, as well as someone who takes care of the lawn. That sort of thing. An upper middle-class lifestyle, basically.

The standard of living in Atlanta is cheap. You can get a two bedroom apartment in Atlanta for like $600. If you try to get a two bedroom apartment in DC you're looking at $1000/mo if not more depending on where you live. God forbid you live near amenities, you'd be looking at $1700/mo. I've seen a two bedroom apartment go for $2000/mo and it was near the train station and a lo of other amenities.

Even though Michigan is experiencing a financial crisis, it's still somewhat of a lucrative state due to tourism, the steel mills, and other economic output.

That is not accurate Michigan is one of only two states in the 50 to have a net population lose according to the US census :filenails: Im telling you from what it sounds ATL and Michigan are about the same here you can live well on 50k and go up north we have the best beaches and lakes for like nothing, BUT you have to have money to gas your way up there to see the shit :filenails:

I don't necessarily consider certain comforts to be vices. I plan to have kids, so I'd like to live in a well-sized house in a nice area. I'd like to send them to private school. I'd like to have a nice car, though nothing ostentatious. I like to be able to travel internationally and do so in comfort (I mean, I'll ride in coach on a plane, but I'm used to staying in nice hotels). I don't cook, so I always eat out. I expect to have a cleaner, as well as someone who takes care of the lawn. That sort of thing. An upper middle-class lifestyle, basically.

you did quite well, and I believe your estimates were on point 100k a partner, depending on how many kids you do have, that sounds about right, only thing is 100k with maybe one kid or none for awhile is probably above what you need for what you speak on but bitch you would be eating goooooodddd....What Halle Berry say in that movie " I wannna feeeelll gooooooodd" :lmao:

That is not accurate Michigan is one of only two states in the 50 to have a net population lose according to the US census :filenails: Im telling you from what it sounds ATL and Michigan are about the same here you can live well on 50k and go up north we have the best beaches and lakes for like nothing, BUT you have to have money to gas your way up there to see the shit :filenails:

I've watched A LOT of Home and Garden and I know for a fact that if you live near a body of water, the real estate goes up significantly. If you want to live somewhere safe, $50k/yr isn't gonna get you much depending on where you live. You have to think about more than just rent. There's rent/mortgage, utility bills, home owners associate fees (if applicable), car insurance/notes, etc. If your rent is half your check, then you're living beyond your means imo.

I've watched A LOT of Home and Garden and I know for a fact that if you live near a body of water, the real estate goes up significantly. If you want to live somewhere safe, $50k/yr isn't gonna get you much depending on where you live. You have to think about more than just rent. There's rent/mortgage, utility bills, home owners associate fees (if applicable), car insurance/notes, etc. If your rent is half your check, then you're living beyond your means imo.

You can live by water all you want but if the overall picture of the state is job lost record unemployment people leave and with that property values drop, there are folks here that bought lake front property I mean we are the Great Lakes State, and that property value fail like all hell over the last 5 years, depends on where u are and how stable EVERYTHING is.

you did quite well, and I believe your estimates were on point 100k a partner, depending on how many kids you do have, that sounds about right, only thing is 100k with maybe one kid or none for awhile is probably above what you need for what you speak on but bitch you would be eating goooooodddd....What Halle Berry say in that movie " I wannna feeeelll gooooooodd" :lmao:

Nah, not with the way I am. :lol: I mean, I'm an only child, and I do have a vague idea of what my parents make (I at least know the minimum), and I know the kind of lifestyle I've become accustomed to. It's comfortable, but not ostentatious (though these things are always relative). And I'm like, "well, I need to live at least as comfortably as I have thus far" and it's always the goal to do even better. I don't like to have to think twice about when I buy something (I mean, something like a house or a car, yeah, but I don't want to worry about how much I'm spending on food or whatnot).

You can live by water all you want but if the overall picture of the state is job lost record unemployment people leave and with that property values drop, there are folks here that bought lake front property I mean we are the Great Lakes State, and that property value fail like all hell over the last 5 years, depends on where u are and how stable EVERYTHING is.

Well yeah property value is gonna depreciate if the city is suffering economically. But in a city/state where it's stable, the price of living is rather high depending on where you live. You can't live near the city making $50k/yr. Maybe in a rural area, but urban? Ch...

Well yeah property value is gonna depreciate if the city is suffering economically. But in a city/state where it's stable, the price of living is rather high depending on where you live. You can't live near the city making $50k/yr. Maybe in a rural area, but urban? Ch...

you talking real ubran areas, we don't have those here :lmao:

Archived