All For You Singles

Slave

We all know All For You started out really strong with 2 big hit singles and large album sales- but then sales decreased rapidly and the singles started to become very unsuccessful. If it was you, how would you have re-done the era so that it closed out as perfect as it opened? I feel like the whole album could have been HUGE and it was on the right track until the third single.

I would have released a physical copy of "STCML" asap..."COGU" would have been a single along with "FSR". I'd either release "TAT" and then a re-release of the album with 5 more Pop/Dance tracks for singles or just re-released the album with the extra songs -_-

We all know All For You started out really strong with 2 big hit singles and large album sales- but then sales decreased rapidly and the singles started to become very unsuccessful. If it was you, how would you have re-done the era so that it closed out as perfect as it opened? I feel like the whole album could have been HUGE and it was on the right track until the third single.

You must want another long ass thread with me and Austineisha going back and forth. :rolleyes:

Virgin royally fucked up the AFY era. It did well, but could've done MUCH better.

They fucked up her chances of getting another #1 (STCML), and the killed the project after only three singles with SOAG. The album still had legs, but they killed it's potential and focused exclusively on Mariah's (then) crazy ass. <_<

I think they released it when STCML was peaking at radio. I would have to go back and re-read the article.

If memory serves, I think they did...but the situation was ALREADY fucked up because they waited so long after AFY's peak before sending STCML to radio. It just wasn't the way to keep the momentum going for the project. It's something you would have had to experience at that time to understand it. The fans were very frustrated with Virgin after the release of AFY.

The third single should NOT have been Son of a Gun that's definietly what KILLED the album. All for You was a great lead single (DRM was not the lead single, it was released a year before the album even came out,) and STCML did great too so clearly the problem lies with that being the third single choice. I honestly have no idea why they would even think of releasing that? It's not catchy and def not radio matieral especially with so many potential singles waiting... the third single should have been come on get up!!

If memory serves, I think they did...but the situation was ALREADY fucked up because they waited so long after AFY's peak before sending STCML to radio. It just wasn't the way to keep the momentum going for the project. It's something you would have had to experience at that time to understand it. The fans were very frustrated with Virgin after the release of AFY.

I would have to go back and find the article. I was just reading it the other day. But Billboard might've said Virgin waited too late to release the physical single. It would've been nice to clock 3 #1s from the album.

I would have to go back and find the article. I was just reading it the other day. But Billboard might've said Virgin waited too late to release the physical single. It would've been nice to clock 3 #1s from the album.

Maybe they were trying to get more album sales

Your memory is shot. They waited too long to release the physical single of "STCML" for purchase...not releasing the song to the radio.

Not again :sigh:

Yep...again. :rolleyes:

Your memory is shot. They waited too long to release the physical single of "STCML" for purchase...not releasing the song to the radio.

:rolleyes:

Well I could be wrong about STCML being released to radio late, but I thought issue was the release of STCML to radio AND the release of the physical single. :unsure:

Billboard said that?

That's actually cool, and validating...because the fans were HIGHLY upset at the time about it. lol

I already knew it...it's just cool to see something from the actual industry saying it too. :rolleyes::sigh:

It's not the first time. And I don't see how it was a problem of it being released to radio late. I mean even though the song was released about 2 months after the album, the song still got to #3 from that.

It's not the first time. And I don't see how it was a problem of it being released to radio late. I mean even though the song was released about 2 months after the album, the song still got to #3 from that.

Releasing it to Radio that late hurt the album in the long run. The AFY single sold the album just fine, but it had peaked at radio. The follow up to it should have been quicker...giving radio something else from Janet to play after AFY had peaked and was going down in airplay.

I'll do it later.

:rolleyes:

Archived