The Official Michael Jackson Thread

ThatOtherFan

Michael Jackson estate considering ‘Bad 25′ and brand new album in 2012

Weitzman says that in addition to the Cirque show, the Michael Jackson estate is contemplating several other projects. The 25th anniversary of the Bad album in 2012 may be commemorated with a special package similar to 2008′s Thriller 25, while another set of unreleased material to follow 2010′s Michael collection is also being considered. “It’s a pretty vibrant estate in the sense that it continues to generate not just catalog opportunities but plenty of other ideas,” Weitzman says.

As for the tribute concert, which is slated to feature performances by the Black Eyed Peas, Christina Aguilera, Leona Lewis, Ne-Yo and Cee Lo Green, Weitzman says the estate is “kind of watching it like everybody else. They’ve never really had any discussions with us, so we’re just watching it all go by.”

http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/66709089.html#ixzz1n4tu04mP

Happy 10th Birthday Blanket Jackson!

Facebook_0.jpg

Name: Prince 'Blanket' Michael Jackson II

Parents: Michael Jackson

Date of Birth: February 21, 2002

Siblings: Prince, 15, & Paris, 13

Facts:

1. He is commonly referred to as 'Blanket'
  2. Blanket was carried by a surrogate mother
  3. On November 20, 2002, daddy Michael caused a widespread uproar when he brought his newborn son onto the balcony of his Berlin hotel room and, as fans stood below, draped a cloth loosely over Blanket's face and briefly extended him over a railing, four stories about ground level.
  4. Michael went through great lengths to conceal his children's appearance in public. As a result, Blanket and his siblings were often seen wearing masks, scarves, and shawls over their faces when they were out.
  5. His godfather is Mark Lester, star of the 1968 movie Oliver
  6. Blanket & his siblings tragically lost their father in 2009
  7. Since that loss, they have been in the custody of their paternal grandmother Katherine Jackson

Quotes:

“It’s an expression I use with my family, I say, ‘You should blanket me … you should blanket her with something, meaning a blanket is a blessing, it’s a way of showing love and caring.” - Michael on how son received his nickname.

"As soon as you turn your back, he shoots at you and you're left soaking wet." - uncle Jermaine Jackson on his nephew being the prankster of the family and toting a water gun around.

"Blanket adored [Michael's songs]. He could easily be the next Michael Jackson. He loved to dance with his dad and Michael taught him to do the moonwalk." - A family friend, on Blanket's love for his father's music.

Michael Jackson's dressing gown set to fetch up to £4,000 at auction

A DRESSING gown which was worn by the late King of Pop Michael Jackson is up for auction in Wareham next week.

A Dorset woman has been lovingly storing the black towelling dressing gown for more than 23 years – after the superstar gave it to her as a present while on his Bad tour.

The woman, who wishes to remain anonymous, asked Jacko for a photo as he came off stage in Liverpool on 11 September 1988.

But the Thriller star said he could give her something better – the hooded dressing gown as a gift for her birthday the next day.

“With that he took off the black dressing robe and gave it to me,” the woman said.

“The robe has never been washed since that night and has been carefully stored since then.”

The dressing gown is expected to go for between £3,000 and £4,000 in the auction taking place at Cottees saleroom on Tuesday.

Source: http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/9537855.Michael_Jackson_s_dressing_gown_set_to_fetch_up_to___4_000_at_auction/

JOE JACKSON

Wrongful Death Lawsuit

Tossed Out of Court

Joe Jackson screwed up by filing a Michael Jackson wrongful death lawsuit against AEG and Dr. Conrad Murray ... a judge has just ruled.

Joe filed his wrongful death lawsuit AFTER Katherine Jackson filed hers -- on her own behalf and on behalf of the kids.

It's unclear why Joe didn't try to join in Katherine's suit rather than filing a separate one on his own. It's possible Katherine didn't want him.

Whatever the reason, the judge said you can't have 2 suits that allege the exact same thing, and since Katherine filed first Joe loses.

Joe could now try to horn in on Katherine's legal action -- if she'll let him.

Source: http://www.tmz.com/2012/02/21/joe-jackson-wrongful-death-lawsuit-michael-jackson-katherine-jackson-aeg/#.T0SoY4cgdvA

Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson shared passionate kiss

Whitney Houston "really wanted to marry" Michael Jackson, according to their friend David Gest.

The music producer was a close confidant of both the late stars, and he believes Whitney - who was laid to rest in New Jersey on Sunday on Feb. 19 - would have liked to have got together with the "Thriller" singer, but he was "too shy" to make a move on her.

"She really loved Michael and he adored her," he said. "Michael told me they once shared a passionate kiss, and she told me she was at one time very much in love with him.

"I think she really wanted to marry him, but although he had a crush on her, he was too shy.

"Later, he confessed to me he should have made every move. If they had got together, I believe Whitney would not have done drugs or become a semi-recluse."

The 58-year-old star - who was previously married to Liza Minnelli - saw Whitney perform in Copenhagen, Denmark, last year and he was reduced to tears by the fact she could no longer hold the notes she used to.

David - who interviewed the music legend for his acclaimed documentary 'Michael Jackson: The Life of an Icon' - added in an interview with The Sun newspaper: "When we met last year, it was at her concert in Copenhagen and it was the saddest performance I had ever seen her give.

"Tears came to my eyes as she just couldn't hold her notes. I actually walked out after four songs, had a sob then came back to watch the rest of the show. My heart was bleeding for her."

© Copyright © The Province

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/entertainment/Whitney+Houston+Michael+Jackson+shared+passionate+kiss/6186945/story.html#ixzz1nCOmhhh2

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/entertainment/Whitney+Houston+Michael+Jackson+shared+passionate+kiss/6186945/story.html

I don't really like David, and finds quite a few things he's said suspect...but for some reason I can believe Whitney was really in love with Mike at some point. If you've seen her speak about Mike and the way she paid tribute to him...I think she really had a thing for him.

• 1 month later...

Didn't get to post this yesterday >_<

HAPPY 14TH BIRTHDAY PRINCESS PARIS!!!

v8oi7q.jpg

Name: Paris Michael Katherine Jackson

Date of Birth: April 3, 1998

Parents: Michael Jackson & Debbie Rowe

Siblings: Prince Michael Joseph Jackson Jr., 15, & Prince 'Blanket' Michael Jackson II, 10

Facts:

1. Paris is dabbling in an acting career and will be making her début in the film series Lundon's Bridge and The Three Keys
  2. Paris enjoys playing softball for her school team
  3. She is also the only female member of her school's flag football team

Quotes:

"You're only young once and [i want her] to really have a wonderful time and enjoy it. She has the rest of her life to be an adult and she should study. She should go to school and study the craft and think about college and maybe study abroad, acting, and then when she becomes 18 she could dive into it if she wants." - aunt Janet Jackson on her hopes for her beautiful niece.

"When I was really little my Dad was in the movie Moonwalker, and I knew he could sing really well, but I didn’t know he could act. I saw that and I said, 'Wow, I want to be just like him.'" - Paris on her time with her father.

"I kinda felt like no one understands what a good father he was. I'd say he was the best cook ever. He made the best French toast in the world. He was just a normal dad, except he was the best dad." - Paris on her famous father.

• 3 weeks later...

HIStory(song)

Just to say, I adore this song SOOOO much. :wub: :wub: :wub: One of the greatest songs ever written and definitely one of his crowning achievements. Yet, so damn underrated. Ugh.

Lyrics:

He got kicked in the back

He say that he needed that

He hot willed in the face

Keep daring to motivate

He say one day you will see

His place in world history

He dares to be recognized

The fires deep in his eyes

How many victims must there be

Slaughtered in vain across the land

And how many struggles must there be

Before we choose to live the prophet's plan

Everybody sing...

Every day create your history

Every path you take you're leaving your legacy

Every soldier dies in his glory

Every legend tells of conquest and liberty

Don't let no one get you down

Keep movin' on higher ground

Keep flying until

You are the king of the hill

No force of nature can break

Your will to self motivate

She say this face that you see

Is destined for history

How many people have to cry

The song of pain and grief across the land

And how many children have to die

Before we stand to lend a healing hand

Everybody sing...

Every page you turn you're writing your legacy

Every hero dreams of chivalry

Every child should sing together in harmony

All nations sing

Let's harmonize all around the world

How many victims must there be

Slaughtered in vain across the land

And how many children must we see

Before we learn to live as brothers

And leave one family oh...

Every page you turn you're writing your legacy

Every hero dreams of chivalry

Every child should sing together in harmony

A soldier dies

A mother cries

The promised child shines in a baby's eyes

All nations sing

Let's harmonize all around the world

• Upvote 1

I love that song Reyna :wub:. I prefer the Tony mix but the original is brilliant too.

The remix is INSANE. :excited: I can see why you'd prefer it. It can make you so hyped. It adds a good rush to it.

I prefer the original mainly because you can hear his vocals much better. The harmonies and the passion. Just..love. :wub:

The remix is INSANE. :excited: I can see why you'd prefer it. It can make you so hyped. It adds a good rush to it.

I prefer the original mainly because you can hear his vocals much better. The harmonies and the passion. Just..love. :wub:

Yes it definitely gets me hyped :wub:! I love the video to it too though I really wanted a HUGE like ceremony type video for the original similar to that of the Royal Family weddings/funerals/event type ceremonies :lol:!

The original is great too..as you said the vocals sound a lot better and more passionate.

Yes it definitely gets me hyped :wub:! I love the video to it too though I really wanted a HUGE like ceremony type video for the original similar to that of the Royal Family weddings/funerals/event type ceremonies :lol:!

The original is great too..as you said the vocals sound a lot better and more passionate.

:thumbup:... :lol: I can see that.

:wub: :wub:

• 3 months later...

I didn't feel like hearing a bunch of slack for making a thread on this, so I'm posting it here. If you wish to make a separate thread for it, by all means, go ahead.

Michael Jackson Song Catalog Will Moonwalk to Sony/ATV Publishing

Exclusive: Michael Jackson, even in death, remains in the middle of the current musical chairs deals in the declining record industry.

For all these years, Michael’s MiJac Publishing has been administered by Warner Chappell, part of what is now Warner Music Group. MiJac includes not only Michael’s hits that he wrote, like “Billie Jean” and “Beat It,” but a vast number of other hits including those of Ray Charles, Curtis Mayfield, and Sly and the Family Stone.

Warner Chappell doesn’t own MiJac but it administers the rights to it and collects hefty fees. With WMG for sale, and talk of Warner Chappell being sold off, MiJac would seem like an integral part of their story.

But there’s a hitch that I can reveal to you: MiJac is leaving Warner Chappell and going to become part of Sony/ATV Music Publishing, the company that Michael Jackson’s estate co-owns with Sony and contains the Beatles catalog.

According to sources, this arrangement was written into the MiJac contract with Warner Chappell years ago. It would be triggered by the release of the next Jackson album–in this case, the recent “Michael”–and the repayment of loans.

The move by MiJac to Sony/ATV is a big deal for many reasons. With both WMG and EMI Music for sale, Sony

Sony/ATV could be kicking the tires of each company’s publishing divisions for purchase. But Warner Chappell might be less interesting to Sony ATV considering they’re already getting Mi Jac. And without MiJac, Warner Chappell–which just had a down quarter–might not look so good to other potential buyers.

What may happen now: the newer, and very hot, BMG Music Rights will likely make a play for EMI Music Publishing. EMI Music–the record company, which has the Beatles albums in its catalog–the physical albums and box sets–could then be merged with another record company like Sony Music or, more horrifyingly, Warner Music. Stay tuned.

So Michael does still own 50% of Sony. Alright, I have no problem then. Least of all with Mottola gone.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2011/02/16/michael-jackson-song-catalog-will-moonwalk-to-sonyatv-publishing

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Statement from John Branca (MJ Estate) regarding Mijac media reports

—— Forwarded Message

Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 15:18:31 -0600

To: Jeff *****

Subject: Michael Jackson/Mijac

Jeff:

I understand that you are being asked a lot of questions about Mijac.

Yes, there is a matching right that Michael granted to Sony/ATV but they only get to administer the catalog for a limited term AND only if they agree to unprecedented favorable terms. We will not relinquish ultimate control and ownership to anyone. We have favorably refinanced the loans on Mijac which will be paid off and the catalog WILL absolutely be passed to Michael’s children as long as we have anything to say about it.

Sony/ATV is a great company and the Estate owns half of it but no one, not even Sony/ATV, will ever own Mijac while John McClain and I remain in charge.

The current Sony team is the one Michael chose to work with on the Thriller 25 release and they are good partners. As stated in the recent court filings, they worked with us to refinance the burdensome debt that had been placed on Michael’s interest in Sony/ATV to very favorable terms, an important achievement which insures that Mijac and Michael’s masters remain secure for the benefit of Michael’s children for years to come.

I would appreciate your sharing this with the fans that are asking questions.

Thanks – John

John Branca

Co-Executor

The Estate Of Michael Jackson

Los Angeles, CA

http://www.legendarymichaeljackson.nl/?p=4192

So Branca and McClain doesn't have the children's best interests at heart? Psh. Bullshit. I love these guys.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

SONY / ATV MUSIC PUBLISHING SIGNS EXCLUSIVE WORLDWIDE ADMINISTRATION AGREEMENT TO REPRESENT MIJAC MUSIC CATALOG

FROM THE ESTATE:

NEW YORK —August 20, 2012—Sony/ATV Music Publishing announced today that the company has entered into a worldwide administration agreement to represent Michael Jackson’s iconic Mijac Music catalog. Founded by Michael Jackson in 1980 as his personal publishing company, Mijac Music grew to include – in addition to all of his own incredible songs – the classic Sly and the Family Stone catalog, songs by the legendary Philadelphia soul team of Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff as well as songs made famous by other artists such as Ray Charles, Elvis Presley and Aretha Franklin.

Of the announcement, Martin Bandier, Chairman and CEO of Sony/ATV said, “We are thrilled that the Estate of Michael Jackson has entrusted us with this incredible catalog of songs, and everyone at Sony/ATV looks forward to finding innovative ways to use these songs, while protecting their legacy.”

Commenting on the deal, John Branca and John McClain, co-executors of the Estate of Michael Jackson remarked, “Michael’s songs in the Mijac Music catalog not only showcase his greatness as a performer but also his creative genius as a songwriter. We are excited that the company Michael helped found, Sony/ATV Music Publishing, and in which his Estate remains a 50% partner, will represent these amazing songs along with a rich collection of other music recorded by some of our greatest popular artists.”

The agreement comes in advance of the September 18 release of BAD25, a new two-disc-package and DVD that marks the 25th anniversary of Michael’s landmark BAD album.

The Mijac catalog includes all of the songs written by the legendary King of Pop, Michael Jackson, including “Another Part Of Me,” “Bad,” “Beat It,” “Billie Jean,” “Black or White,” “Can You Feel It,” “Dangerous,” “Dirty Diana,” “Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough,” “Earth Song,” “Heal the World,” “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You,” “Jam,” “Scream,” “Smooth Criminal,” “They Don’t Care About Us,” “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’,” “The Way You Make Me Feel” and “We Are The World.”

Also included in the catalog are some of the most iconic songs in rock, pop and soul music history, including "Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now," “After Midnight,” “Ease on Down the Road,” “Great Balls of Fire,” "(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher," “I Got A Woman,” “If You Don’t Know Me By Now,” “Love Train,” “Mr. Bojangles,” “People Get Ready,” “Runaround Sue,” “Shake, Rattle and Roll,” “Sixteen Candles,” “The Wanderer”, “What’d I Say,” “When a Man Loves a Woman” and “You Don’t Know Me”. Of special note the catalog includes the songs made famous by Rock and Roll Hall of Fame artist Sly and the Family Stone, including such hits as “Dance To the Music,” “Everybody is a Star,” “Everyday People,” “Family Affair,” “Hot Fun in the Summertime,” “If You Want Me To Stay,” “Sing a Simple Song,” “Stand” and “Thank You.”

About Sony/ATV Music Publishing

Sony/ATV Music Publishing, established in 1995 as a joint venture between Sony and Michael Jackson, is the world’s leading music publisher. Together with EMI Music Publishing, Leiber Stoller, Mijac Music, Motown and the Famous Music catalogs, Sony/ATV owns or administers more than 2 million copyrights, including some of the best known songs ever written. Sony/ATV’s catalog includes “New York, New York,” “All You Need Is Love,” “You’ve Got a Friend,” “Moon River,” “Jailhouse Rock,” “The Mission Impossible Theme,” “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough,” “Over the Rainbow,” “Stand By Me,” “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” and “Singin’ in the Rain.” In addition, Sony/ATV represents the copyrights of such legendary artists as The Beatles, Leonard Cohen, Neil Diamond, Bob Dylan, Marvin Gaye, Michael Jackson, Carole King, Kraftwerk, Joni Mitchell, Willie Nelson, Roy Orbison, Queen, The Rolling Stones, Richie Sambora, Sting, Wyclef Jean, Hank Williams and Stevie Wonder, among others. Its ever-growing list of chart-topping artists, writers and producers includes Beyoncé, Fall Out Boy, Jay-Z, Jessie J, Norah Jones, Alicia Keys, Lady Antebellum, Lady Gaga, John Mayer, P!nk, RedOne, Shakira, Ed Sheeran, Stargate, Taylor Swift and Kanye West.

http://www.mjjunderground.com/2012/08/20/sony-atv-music-publishing-signs-exclusive-worldwide-administration-agreement-to-represent-mijac-music-catalog/

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm so confused :tear:. What is the different between Mijac and Sony/ATV? I've never been able to understand this.

MiJac is Michael's own music catalog. Sony/ATV is the music label/publishing company that he owns 50% of. What this is basically saying is that they are having Michael's music catalog under Sony/ATV's label since they practically own it and without any debts.

MiJac is Michael's own music catalog. Sony/ATV is the music label/publishing company that he owns 50% of. What this is basically saying is that they are having Michael's music catalog under Sony/ATV's label since they practically own it and without any debts.

Aah right. So they're basically making it into one big thing? Smart move.

Aah right. So they're basically making it into one big thing? Smart move.

Wait, I got it somewhat wrong. Sony/ATV was awarded the administration of MiJac. This doesnt mean Sony/ATV owns the Catalog- They are just administrating the publishing rights. The MJ Estate still owns Mijac Catalog 100%. Which is even better. That's going to keep alot of money coming in to his own Estate instead of going out elsewhere. The execs are brilliant. #TeamMichael #TeamBranca

Wait, I got it somewhat wrong. Sony/ATV was awarded the administration of MiJac. This doesnt mean Sony/ATV owns the Catalog- They are just administrating the publishing rights. The MJ Estate still owns Mijac Catalog 100%. Which is even better. That's going to keep alot of money coming in to his own Estate instead of going out elsewhere. The execs are brilliant. #TeamMichael #TeamBranca

So the 50% of Sony/ATV that the estate doesn't own can't make any decisions regarding MiJac? Or the full 100% can make the decisions? I'm still confused :lmao:.

So the 50% of Sony/ATV that the estate doesn't own can't make any decisions regarding MiJac? Or the full 100% can make the decisions? I'm still confused :lmao:.

I don't think the ownership has much to do with it. :asham: All of it still has to be approved by the Estate and Sony/ATV can make decisions on it if they have that approval. It's just a fun fact that Michael's Estate still owns 50% of it. So the deal is really just giving permission to Sony/ATV to make decisions on MiJac but since the Estate owns half of it anyway, it's just making a little deal/partnership with the other half, as I understand :lol:

Extra clarification for anyone who needs it :lol:

Catalog ownership and catalog publishing are two different things.

Yes Michael owns 100 % of Mijac. It's not going to change.

Artists cannot spend all the time giving permissions to people use the songs and go around collecting royalties etc. So they give the management - not ownership to publishing companies. Publishing companies provide these services and get a fee for the job they do.

Now Sony/ ATV will manage Mijac , Estate will still totally own it.

Estate will get more money because their costs is reducing. For example if they had a 50-50 deal with Warner, MJ Estate would get 50 and Warner would get 50. Even if the same 50-50 deal is done with Sony/ ATV, Sony would get 25 and MJ Estate would get 50 + 25. As the 50 get Sony/ATV gets will be divided among Sony and MJ Estate.

Extra clarification for anyone who needs it :lol:

Catalog ownership and catalog publishing are two different things.

Yes Michael owns 100 % of Mijac. It's not going to change.

Artists cannot spend all the time giving permissions to people use the songs and go around collecting royalties etc. So they give the management - not ownership to publishing companies. Publishing companies provide these services and get a fee for the job they do.

Now Sony/ ATV will manage Mijac , Estate will still totally own it.

Estate will get more money because their costs is reducing. For example if they had a 50-50 deal with Warner, MJ Estate would get 50 and Warner would get 50. Even if the same 50-50 deal is done with Sony/ ATV, Sony would get 25 and MJ Estate would get 50 + 25. As the 50 get Sony/ATV gets will be divided among Sony and MJ Estate.

This helped a lot :lol:! I get it now haha. Good work on the estates behalf then I guess :)

• 2 weeks later...