"I'm the hottest bitch on the planet. Biggest sex symbol since Janet."

Kim

Lil Kim done lied. :umm: Nobody has even come close to snatching that label from Janet. :filenails:

But has this label been a blessing or a curse?

I find that it has taken away from the public's perception of her music and just her in general. Nobody except us fans look past the sexy image and seek out the gems on albums such as AFY, Damita Jo, 20 Y.O. and Discipline. I don't even think most people realize she writes music. :umm:

I feel like she worked the sexy music artist image best during RN-TVR. It was all iffy after that. I'm not saying you have to be one or the other, but she hasn't really been taken seriously since TVR. That album was sexy in its own way, but not Would You Mind raunchy.

That's why I'm loving Janet the actress. She hasn't stripped for a role. It's been all about the acting. That's the kind of focus I want her to have for her next era, music wise.

I think the whole 'sex symbol' thing has been a blessing and a curse as well. Many times society/audiences can't see past the explicit image of people in general. Janet has contributed way more to the industry than being a sex symbol but as a woman and as a musician who's assertive enough to declare her joys of sex she gets shunned for it. Being sexy isn't the best way to market yourself sometimes if you want to do things with more substance. That's why Rihanna will have a hard time if her career shifts with age. She won't enjoy the same liberties as Beyonce, who also does sell sex but not in such a blatant fashion.

i love it and dont think its a curse at all....i mean think about it...who actually bought sexy in the game the way janet did? i mean you have your ertha kitt and josephine bakers...but its janet who the people mimick and they also refer to her as one of the top entertainers so i dont think they ONLY SEE HER AS A SEX SYMBOL...besides lets be real who else can sound sexy on a track without it sounding forced?...honestly

Archived