Has there been a musical revolution this millenium???

Illi

The 50s and 60s was the golden age of rock n' roll. In my ways, it emphasized the rebellion against the post-war conservatism. It made it simpler for artists to make their impact because the industry was in its infancy. Almost every part of the country was represented the music landscape.

The 70s has protest music, singer/songwriter music that told stories, arena rock/metal, and disco.

The 80s had synthesizers and drum machines which brought on new wave and synth pop. Several dance genres spun out after the death of disco, which led to a birth of many divas. R&B became more street by the mid 80s. Rock put a more glam twist on sex, drugs, and rock n' roll. And hello, MTV put the music video and mainstream.

The 90s saw gangster rap come into mainstream, grunge blew up and that evolved into more alternative rock. R&B began to become unapologetically more overt with sexuality.

The only thing I can talk about in the 2000s is that autotune has become more mainstream. There might've been some fads (i.e. crunk), but nothing that really influence the music industry.

I call the 2000's the "Crossover" era. Where artists of different genres started to work with each other. More white rappers, rnb singers doing house music, ect. Even country singers have rappers on their hooks now. And yes autotune

The 2000's is definitely the 'crossover era.'

Inneresting

The 2000's is definitely the 'crossover era.'

I saw way more cross-over in the 1980s and early 1990s. You would hear people like Madonna and Hall and Oates on R&B stations, as well as Prince, MJ and some rap on pop stations. There were also lots of duets with pop & R&B (MJ Paul Mccartney, Stevie &Paul) rock & rap (Arosmith & Run DMC) and country would play on R&B (Dolly and Kenny Rodgers).

I don't even hear Rihanna on R&B stations these days.

The 2000's for me represent autotune, and fewer real instraments in music.

Archived