• #1's (1998)
    • Rainbow (1999)
    • Glitter (2001)
    • Charm Bracelet (2002)
    • Emancipation Of Mimi (2005)
    • E=MC2 (2008)
    • Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel (2009)
    • Merry Christmas II You (2010)

OK almost ready for the next artist, but I had to make this comment. You guys ever notice the similarities between Mariah Carey's Cant Let Go (1 of my all time fave Mariah songs, probably #1) and Taylor Dane's Love Will Lead You Back (LOVE THAT SONG, def my fave song in her discography) The songs just really always sounded alike to me ESPECIALLY when I was a little kid, I thought they both were Mariah tho lol.

OK almost ready for the next artist, but I had to make this comment. You guys ever notice the similarities between Mariah Carey's Cant Let Go (1 of my all time fave Mariah songs, probably #1) and Taylor Dane's Love Will Lead You Back (LOVE THAT SONG, def my fave song in her discography) The songs just really always sounded alike to me ESPECIALLY when I was a little kid, I thought they both were Mariah tho lol.

I always thought 'Love Will Lead you back' sounded more like 'All the man i need.'

I always thought 'Love Will Lead you back' sounded more like 'All the man i need.'

Aaaaaaaahhhh, I never thought of that. You know what her vocals remind me of the vocals for All The Man, but I think its the style of the song like the "Even tho I try" & "Love Will Lead You Back", and how the 1st chords of the songs at the beginning are similar too.

• 1 month later...

I was concise last time, now I'm going in... hyper lamb mode :P

Her debut was her most diverse genre-wise. It offers pop rock ("You Need Me"), rap/Latin freestyle ("Prisoner"), new jack swing/dance ("Someday"), and jazz/soul ("Vanishing"). "Vision of Love" is one the greatest debut singles of all time (the greatest IMO :)); it's like the book of Genesis put to music. As for the era, I was only 2 then so I didn't become a lamb until the Music Box era. I bet it was an amazing experience for those who got to witness it firsthand though.

Emotions was much more focused than the debut, and boasts a more soulful, Motown vibe; her influence from Aretha Franklin is especially apparent here. In fact, while working with Carole King, she suggested that she cover "Natural Woman" but she opted to co-write "If It's Over" with her instead. The title track is a definitive classic that showcases her incredible range (I actually have a memory of singing the chorus on the bus when I little lol), "Can't Let Go" is my all-time favorite - the vocals, lyrics, arrangement, emotion, the key change = everything is just perfect here. "Make It Happen" is very inspiring, and its music video is actually one of my personal favorites. Other worthy gems are "To Be Around You" (which would've made a great single IMO), "Till The End of Time," and the jazzy "The Wind." As I said, every song is good here. It's an extremely solid album.

"You know I'm not used to doing this, but you guys make it great for me." She is more of a creator than a performer, however MTV Unplugged proved and that she's a capable one ... in fact, an impressive one! Her best performance moments tend to be the greatest when she just simply allows her voice to soar, such as "Make It Happen" here. I love her later performances of this song when brings the choir out ~ then it's game over, she becomes unstoppable! :excited: Alrighty, next studio album...

Music Box is a well-crafted, adult contemporary album. She still did not have complete artistic freedom at this point with the more R&B-sounding "Do You Think of Me" and "Everything Fades Away" held off the official track listing (however, I personally tacked them on at the end B)). Anyway, "Dreamlover" was an excellent, breezy lead single. "Hero" is her signature song; that was where I first learned her name. Much respect to Badfinger and Harry Nilsson, but her version of "Without You" surpasses the originals. "Anytime You Need A Friend" has grown to become my personal favorite. It is also this era where she helped popularized the trend of rerecording remixes. "Dreamlover (Def Club Mix)" and "Anytime You Need A Friend (C+C Club Version)" are house classics.

It isn't christmas until I listen to Merry Christmas at least a dozen times a year. Everyone knows "All I Want For Christmas Is You." The fact that it's commonly mistaken to be a remake shows what a modern classic it is. Her versions of "O Holy Night" and "Joy To The World" are impeccable. "Jesus Oh What A Wonderful Child" is one of her most powerful songs, secular included.

With Daydream, she is allowed more freedom to go in a more urban direction. "Fantasy" was a trendsetter; her collaboration with O.D.B. on the remix is one of the most genius juxtapositions in music. "Always Be My Baby" is timeless ~ the song can be played today and still sound as fresh as it did 17 years ago. And the S.O.S. Band-based remix is even better, that's my favorite remix. "Underneath The Stars" really showcases her songwriting ability, where she easily paints vivid imagery with her words. I've definitely started to grow a bigger appreciation for it in recent years.

Daydream also had my favorite concert tour, specifically the Tokyo Dome. I don't even know where to begin! The setlist, her voice, perfect!

In a way, Daydream was like the cocoon for Butterfly and it's easy for me to see why it's the fan favorite. The album contains her best lyrical content ("Butterfly," "The Roof," "Close My Eyes"). Musically, she travels even further into the urban sound ("Honey," "Breakdown"), where she's most at home, but still never abandons A/C ("Butterfly," "Whenever You Call"). This the one album where I just absolutely can't pick a solid favorite because a lot of the songs here are as good as one another. Oh yes, and this era one amazing music video after another: "Honey" is quite frankly one of the hottest music videos ever made. :excited:

Sometimes great music can come out of even in rushed circumstances, and Rainbow is an example of that - especially musicwise. It's actually one of my favorites. Like all her previous albums up to this point, the lead single "Heartbreaker" was on point. and I can never decide between the original or the remix. I love "Can't Take That Away," I can always just lose myself in the nature-esque "Bliss" ~ this song shows Minnie Riperton's influence on her. Although favorite of mine is the Snoop-assisted "Crybaby," and "Petals" is a very deep song. This era also introduced us to her dark alterego - before "Sasha Fierce," "Brook Lynn," "Roman," etc., there was Bianca. It really shows her funny side, and that she is able to laugh at herself.

Ah Glitter... commercially everything that could have gone wrong, went even worse. Despite that, as I mentioned in the flop albums thread, it was her most adventurous album. The 80s theme was a brilliant idea; the funk tracks are the highlights: the Cherrelle-remake "Didn't Mean To Turn You On," "All My Life," and the Eric Benet duet "Want You." The ballads deliver too "Lead The Way" and "Never Too Far."

Charmbracelet is a very laid-back, summery album; a lot like what Damita Jo is to Janet musicwise. However, it's one of the albums I have to be in the right mood for, but I definitely enjoy it. My favorite tracks are "Yours," the Def Leppard remake "Bringin' On The Heartbreak," "Clown," and the bonus track "Miss You."

Honorable mention to the The Remixes, which contains most of her best remixes. Only a couple minor things I would've changed (i.e. certain tracks), but overall it shows that she is the remix queen whether it's house mixes (1st disc) or urban remixes (2nd disc). She's covered all bases.

The Emancipation of Mimi was her well-deserved comeback. She worked really hard for this era, and it paid off. She draws influence from the soul era of the 70s and 80s, and adds her own modern twist to it. Most know "We Belong Together" best, but the song that really moves my spirit is "Fly Like A Bird." "Don't Forget About Us" gets overshadowed by WBT a lot, but that was my favorite single. Oh yes, and "Shake It Off" was one of my favorite music videos! ^_^

If the previous album is the main dinner course, then E=MC² is the dessert. What I like about this album is that she sprinkles code phrases that only us lambs would get :P, so it's a more fan-oriented album compared to the last. "I'll Be Lovin' U Long Time" and "For The Record" are my two favorite songs here.

Memoirs of an imperfect Angel is IMO one of the best R&B albums of the new millennium, and her best album since Rainbow. It's also her first album since Daydream not to have any featured guests on the main album. The album is very cohesive and is sonically a throwback to the mid-90s sound (think Jodeci, Ginuwine, etc.). It was also a therapeutic album for her, due to her miscarriage before starting it. It contains some of her funniest lyrics (that "Harvard Graduation" still gets me :lmao:). That's why I love her; you just never know what she's going to say next. The highlights for me are "Betcha," "H.A.T.E.U.," "Candy Bling," "Ribbon," "It's A Wrap," "Angels Cry," and "Languishing"/"I Want To Know What Love Is."

Highlights from the ill-fated Angels Advocate remix album would've been "H.A.T.E.U. (Remix)" (best remix since "Thank God I Found You (Make It Last)"), and another inspirational ballad "100%."

Merry Christmas II You is worthy sequel to the first one. She truly is the Queen of Christmas because she understands the spirit of the holiday so well. The album is varied stylistically from ballads to party tracks. The Christmas In Washington performances proved she still has it as the Obamas, Maxwell, and Annie Lennox were also positively moved.

So overall, she has a very consistent discography. There isn't one single song I don't like (even "Loverboy" - can't nobody tell me Da Brat's verse wasn't epic! :P). Another thing I respect about her is that she always stuck to her true R&B roots. My gosh, I just loooove this woman! :blush:

------

Personal album ranking (as of today cuz it could change in another week lol)...

1. Emotions ("Can't Let Go")

2. Daydream ("Always Be My Baby")

3. Butterfly ("ButterHoneyBreak" >_<-_-)

4. Rainbow ("Bliss")

5. Memoirs of an imperfect Angel ("H.A.T.E.U.")

6. Merry Christmas ("All I Want For Christmas Is You")

7. The Emancipation of Mimi ("Fly Like A Bird")

8. Glitter ("Didn't Mean To Turn You On")

9. Music Box ("Anytime You Need A Friend")

10. Mariah Carey ("Vision of Love")

11. Merry Christmas II You ("Oh Santa!")

12. Charmbracelet ("Yours")

13. E=MC² ("I'll Be Lovin' U Long Time")

• Upvote 2

Her debut was her most diverse genre-wise. It offers pop rock ("You Need Me"), rap/Latin freestyle ("Prisoner"), new jack swing/dance ("Someday"), and jazz/soul ("Vanishing"). "Vision of Love" is one the greatest debut singles of all time (the greatest IMO :)); it's like the book of Genesis put to music. As for the era, I was only 2 then so I didn't become a lamb until the Music Box era. I bet it was an amazing experience for those who got to witness it firsthand though.

Emotions was much more focused than the debut, and boasts a more soulful, Motown vibe; her influence from Aretha Franklin is especially apparent here. In fact, while working with Carole King, she suggested that she cover "Natural Woman" but she opted to co-write "If It's Over" with her instead. The title track is a definitive classic that showcases her incredible range (I actually have a memory of singing the chorus on the bus when I little lol), "Can't Let Go" is my all-time favorite - the vocals, lyrics, arrangement, emotion, the key change = everything is just perfect here. "Make It Happen" is very inspiring, and its music video is actually one of my personal favorites. Other worthy gems are "To Be Around You" (which would've made a great single IMO), "Till The End of Time," and the jazzy "The Wind." As I said, every song is good here. It's an extremely solid album.

"You know I'm not used to doing this, but you guys make it great for me." She is more of a creator than a performer, however MTV Unplugged proved and that she's a capable one ... in fact, an impressive one! Her best performance moments tend to be the greatest when she just simply allows her voice to soar, such as "Make It Happen" here. I love her later performances of this song when brings the choir out ~ then it's game over, she becomes unstoppable! :excited: Alrighty, next studio album...

Music Box is a well-crafted, adult contemporary album. She still did not have complete artistic freedom at this point with the more R&B-sounding "Do You Think of Me" and "Everything Fades Away" held off the official track listing (however, I personally tacked them on at the end B)). Anyway, "Dreamlover" was an excellent, breezy lead single. "Hero" is her signature song; that was where I first learned her name. Much respect to Badfinger and Harry Nilsson, but her version of "Without You" surpasses the originals. "Anytime You Need A Friend" has grown to become my personal favorite. It is also this era where she helped popularized the trend of rerecording remixes. "Dreamlover (Def Club Mix)" and "Anytime You Need A Friend (C+C Club Version)" are house classics.

It isn't christmas until I listen to Merry Christmas at least a dozen times a year. Everyone knows "All I Want For Christmas Is You." The fact that it's commonly mistaken to be a remake shows what a modern classic it is. Her versions of "O Holy Night" and "Joy To The World" are impeccable. "Jesus Oh What A Wonderful Child" is one of her most powerful songs, secular included.

With Daydream, she is allowed more freedom to go in a more urban direction. "Fantasy" was a trendsetter; her collaboration with O.D.B. on the remix is one of the most genius juxtapositions in music. "Always Be My Baby" is timeless ~ the song can be played today and still sound as fresh as it did 17 years ago. And the S.O.S. Band-based remix is even better, that's my favorite remix. "Underneath The Stars" really showcases her songwriting ability, where she easily paints vivid imagery with her words. I've definitely started to grow a bigger appreciation for it in recent years.

Daydream also had my favorite concert tour, specifically the Tokyo Dome. I don't even know where to begin! The setlist, her voice, perfect!

In a way, Daydream was like the cocoon for Butterfly and it's easy for me to see why it's the fan favorite. The album contains her best lyrical content ("Butterfly," "The Roof," "Close My Eyes"). Musically, she travels even further into the urban sound ("Honey," "Breakdown"), where she's most at home, but still never abandons A/C ("Butterfly," "Whenever You Call"). This the one album where I just absolutely can't pick a solid favorite because a lot of the songs here are as good as one another. Oh yes, and this era one amazing music video after another: "Honey" is quite frankly one of the hottest music videos ever made. :excited:

Sometimes great music can come out of even in rushed circumstances, and Rainbow is an example of that - especially musicwise. It's actually one of my favorites. Like all her previous albums up to this point, the lead single "Heartbreaker" was on point. and I can never decide between the original or the remix. I love "Can't Take That Away," I can always just lose myself in the nature-esque "Bliss" ~ this song shows Minnie Riperton's influence on her. Although favorite of mine is the Snoop-assisted "Crybaby," and "Petals" is a very deep song. This era also introduced us to her dark alterego - before "Sasha Fierce," "Brook Lynn," "Roman," etc., there was Bianca. It really shows her funny side, and that she is able to laugh at herself.

Ah Glitter... commercially everything that could have gone wrong, went even worse. Despite that, as I mentioned in the flop albums thread, it was her most adventurous album. The 80s theme was a brilliant idea; the funk tracks are the highlights: the Cherrelle-remake "Didn't Mean To Turn You On," "All My Life," and the Eric Benet duet "Want You." The ballads deliver too "Lead The Way" and "Never Too Far."

Charmbracelet is a very laid-back, summery album; a lot like what Damita Jo is to Janet musicwise. However, it's one of the albums I have to be in the right mood for, but I definitely enjoy it. My favorite tracks are "Yours," the Def Leppard remake "Bringin' On The Heartbreak," "Clown," and the bonus track "Miss You."

Honorable mention to the The Remixes, which contains most of her best remixes. Only a couple minor things I would've changed (i.e. certain tracks), but overall it shows that she is the remix queen whether it's house mixes (1st disc) or urban remixes (2nd disc). She's covered all bases.

The Emancipation of Mimi was her well-deserved comeback. She worked really hard for this era, and it paid off. She draws influence from the soul era of the 70s and 80s, and adds her own modern twist to it. Most know "We Belong Together" best, but the song that really moves my spirit is "Fly Like A Bird." "Don't Forget About Us" gets overshadowed by WBT a lot, but that was my favorite single. Oh yes, and "Shake It Off" was one of my favorite music videos! ^_^

If the previous album is the main dinner course, then E=MC² is the dessert. What I like about this album is that she sprinkles code phrases that only us lambs would get :P, so it's a more fan-oriented album compared to the last. "I'll Be Lovin' U Long Time" and "For The Record" are my two favorite songs here.

Memoirs of an imperfect Angel is IMO one of the best R&B albums of the new millennium, and her best album since Rainbow. It's also her first album since Daydream not to have any featured guests on the main album. The album is very cohesive and is sonically a throwback to the mid-90s sound (think Jodeci, Ginuwine, etc.). It was also a therapeutic album for her, due to her miscarriage before starting it. It contains some of her funniest lyrics (that "Harvard Graduation" still gets me :lmao:). That's why I love her; you just never know what she's going to say next. The highlights for me are "Betcha," "H.A.T.E.U.," "Candy Bling," "Ribbon," "It's A Wrap," "Angels Cry," and "Languishing"/"I Want To Know What Love Is."

Highlights from the ill-fated Angels Advocate remix album would've been "H.A.T.E.U. (Remix)" (best remix since "Thank God I Found You (Make It Last)"), and another inspirational ballad "100%."

Merry Christmas II You is worthy sequel to the first one. She truly is the Queen of Christmas because she understands the spirit of the holiday so well. The album is varied stylistically from ballads to party tracks. The Christmas In Washington performances proved she still has it as the Obamas, Maxwell, and Annie Lennox were also positively moved.

So overall, she has a very consistent discography. There isn't one single song I don't like (even "Loverboy" - can't nobody tell me Da Brat's verse wasn't epic! :P). Another thing I respect about her is that she always stuck to her true R&B roots. My gosh, I just loooove this woman! :blush:

------

4. Rainbow ("Bliss")

SEE THATS WHAT I WAS LOOKIN FOR FROM YOU WHEN I POSTED THIS LOFL YASSS you betta stan lol. And it's like the way I am wit TE's, I dont necessarily agree with your opinion on every 1, but Im interested in it, and I'm glad to read it :thumbup:

------

4. Rainbow ("Bliss")

Please marry me...our babies would be epic!

I didnt even realize I didnt put down a whole analysis of each era, lol, I guess I only recently started doing that, so I will here too, after all she is my 2nd fave artist out there alive right now, so I gotta do her right (for gods sakes I said more about DC than her, I cant accept that)

• 3 weeks later...

I have to kick myself right now........................................................I just nearly completed a proper full analysis on Mariah's discog, and I was finishing up on E=MC2.................and I was trying to backspace......and the entire page went back....... I click on forward HOPING it's still there, but it's gone, it's allll gone..................going to bed now....very pissed, and will only do these using Microsoft Word, cause that.............................................I'm too pissed, and I got that far too, if I was at Butterfly it would've been alright....so pissed, whatev, I'll post it tomorrow, goddamnit

• 1 year later...

**2 Years Later New Album Update**

OK so when I did this 2 years ago, it was 1 of my 1st and I didn't have the structure and flow for these I do now. So in celebration of the new album, here's a updated version of my thoughts for the new album, and a new updated ranking of the albums

Mariah Carey, AMAZING DEBUT, of my queens, Janet & Whitney, MC hands down had the better debut, there only exists 1 filler song imo and that song is You Need Me, everything else is SOOOO GOOD, it has that lil hint of 80's to it, but then it has that new jack swing, but then the best asset as with most of her early works is those timeless ballads. My standout track for this album as of now are Vision Of Love, Love Takes Time, Someday, I don't Want To Cry, Vanishing, All In Your Mind, There's Got to be a way, Sent From Up Above, & Alone in love.

Emotions. MY FAVORITE ALBUM THIS WOMEN HAS EVER DONE, in the battle of the 2nd albums between Jan & Whit, MC wins this too, by alot. This album is soooo damn strong, like to me vocally this vocally hasn't been matched, and as far as the genres on 1 album it hasn't been matched, this damn album is too much, those belts and whales, I HATE HATE HATE that theres soooo many songs on this album that she didn't perform at her vocal best she's never performed. GOD I'd pay big money to hear this women sing Till The End Of Time, You're So Cold, & And You Don't Remember before 1999. There exists no filler on this album, Make It Happen was the very last song on this album I grew to LOVE & CRAVE but it is still less than most of the tracklist, but it slays, it's a great album through & through. It should also be noted that she started her history of re-recording her remixes with this album with the intro to the Emotions remix

Music Box. Another album that like the 1st 1, I grew to appreciate more now (as in the last 2 years) opposed to when I 1st heard it as a teen. I use to only use it for it's singles, but NOW OH DEAR GOD, FUCK DEM SINGLES, cause Never Forget You, All I've Ever Wanted, and the b-sides Everything Fades Away, & Do You Think Of Me SLAY DOWN this whole album. But I love most of the songs, and all the singles slay, of the singles Anytime You Need A Friend is my fave. I will say and always have felt this way, as great as this album is, it was kind of a let down from how much I LOVED the previous album. I think Janet & Whitney put her in 3rd place as far as 3rd album releases go imo.

Merry Christmas, Best holiday album EVER, All I Want For Christmas ALONE! I mean damn, even the covers she made completely her own, like how her version of Oh Holy Night is by far to me the BEST version there ever was, she sings it perfectly. I also love her version of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, those harmony's and the fact that she sounded like a damn trio lol, I LOVED IT. And her version of Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) I personally rank right up there next to Darlene's. My standout tracks on this album are All I Want For Christmas, Joy To The World, Christmas (Baby Please Come Home), God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, & Oh Holy Night.

Daydream, the album that brought the hip/hop in...or JD, I love it, it's a great mix of sounds and vibes throughout the album. I LOVE FANTASY, probably my favorite opening single of her discography. The vocals of this album is just also really great (for the last time for a bit). It should also be noted this is really when she came into her own as the remix queen with Fantasy and Always Be My Baby & Underneath the stars, she really got down with those re recordings, and in the case of Always Be My Baby I love the original but the remix is just so damn perfect it kinda gets my attention for it more than the original. My standout tracks are Fantasy, One Sweet Day, Always Be My Baby, Forever, Underneath The Stars, Daydream, Melt Away & Long Ago.

Butterfly. This was the huge change for better & worst to me. The good/great is that she REALLY came into her own image & sound wise. She really became the artist I think she always wanted to be from the beginning. She looked great, discovered weaves, and dressing slutty and never looked back. Her sounds were also more risky as well.But the bad is to me she really resorted in the whisper vocals more than she ever did before this era. She didn't use it as much as she did for Butterfly or Charm Bracelet but this album kicked those whispers in high gear, where Music Box got them really started. But that's what Im not a fan of with this album, other than that what I don't like is the singles to me out do the album tracks. My standout tracks are The Roof, Honey, Butterfly, My All, Breakdown, Fly Away, Outside, The Beautiful Ones (tho I still prefer Prince's by alot), & Fourth Of July

#1's. I thought it was a really good compilation of the songs. I Still Believe is what I call 1 of her best ballads EVER, and I love all of the remix's to it. I've also always shared that tho I LOVE When You Believe and how it's such a powerful song, but I think if it were recorded around 92-93 it would easily be 1 of the best ballads EVER, because both her & Whitney's vocals would be top notch. I'm not big on Mariah's Do You Know Where You're Going To, it's a good version, she made it her own, but....Diana gave better vocals (That's right I SAID IT LOL). Sweetheart I like alot too, I thought it was 1 of JD's best. Whenever you Call with Brian was GREAT, I love how their vocals complement each other.

Rainbow..................................Just when it seemed like every album she did in the 90's was damn near perfect, she had to do this. Well this to me is the true unavailing of Hoodriah in all her ratchetness. Heartbreaker... Im not really to fond of it, beyond the chorus and the lead in to the chorus, Im not hear for the verses at all, also it has a great intro. I didn't use to like Thank God I Found You but now I do, but have ALWAYS prefered the Make It Last re-recording of it, Crybaby is the best song on the album, that song SLAYS that song goes hard, that song gives EVERYTHING, the adlibs, the harmony's how the song reigns true for me every now & then, that song is the king of that album. I like her version of Against All Odds more than Phil Collins versions. I also like X Girlfriend, it's hoodriah, but its hoodriah with Kandi, and that seems to work for me, so I wouldn't mind another Kandi & MC collab. My standout tracks are Crybaby, After Tonight, X Girlfriend, & Bliss

Glitter. Her most underated album of her entire career. Like she joked about with Andy Cohen, had this album come out 10 years later, I think it would've been HUGE, but it doesnt help that she released 1 of the messiest songs she's ever done as a 1st single, Loverboy. It's toooo much going on. I think All My Life or Didn't Mean To Turn You On would've made MUCH better 1st singles.......and great singles period, but they werent, damnit. Both songs slay. I love Charelle's version of Didn't Mean To Turn You On, but MC WENT INNNNN and SLAYED. Now that I think about it tho, I don't think either of those songs would've done great on the charts because as great as they are they werent like anything on the radio at that time. And it's amazing that how it seems NOBODY likes Loverboy, but it's a hit lol, it is a #2 song. The thing that makes this album brilliant (and in my opinion better than anything that followed) these ballads are KING, these ballads are almost as good as the ballads on the pre-99 albums. Lead The Way, Twister, Never To Far, & Reflections SLAY, they are the best of this album and any that came after.

Charmbracelet, her worst album (not counting the 2nd Christmas 1), and most forgettable to me. I'm sorry I know it's some kind of lamb favorite but I think this album did exactly what it should've done, and has the impact it deserved to have. Where do I begin.....OH I almost forgot like she did........THE VOCALS...........YOU"RE MARIAH FUCKIN 5 OCTAVES CAREY AND YA WHISPERIN UP A STORM ON DAMN NEAR EVERY TRACK! The whispery vocals work for her in certain songs but just like for Janet it's the over using of them I can't take, and she overused them a ton on this album. I have a theory if she used her range & more alive vocals for most of the album, I'd like it alot more. Also tho I LOVE Through The Rain (for the bridge on to the end) it was not 1st single Material, Boy I Need You or Bringing On The Heartbreak should've been, specifically Bringing On The Heartbreak, I think that would've done well on the radio.My standout tracks for this album are Bringing On The Heartbreak, Boy I Need You, The One, & Irresistable (Westside Connection)

Emancipation Of Mimi. 1 of the best R&B albums of the last 10 years, and 1 of her best albums period. From It's Like That I KNEW off the bat that this album she was BACK, that she wasn't playing this time around and that she was bringing back the big girl vocals. I love We Belong Together like the rest of the world, but it's honestly not 1 of my favorite ballads of hers, I think Twister, Lead The Way, and Never Too Far all from Glitter are better than WBT. Shake It Off, not a huge fan of this song, never have been, it's catchy, it's cute, it's hoodriah, but it's not for me. My standout tracks are Fly Like A Bird, It's Like That, We Belong Together, Say Something, Mine Again (another song I think is better than We Belong Together), Don't Forget About Us, I Wish You Knew, Sprung & When I Feel It (1 of her BEST unreleased songs, I wish she saved that to be on a later project, I get 70s Jackson 5 vibes from that song)

E=MC2, GREAT followup to Emancipation. It's interesting how the previous album focused more on old school Hip Hop and R&B, but this 1 is all new school. Touch My Body I was never really loved but its cute and I like it. Bye Bye, I never cared for really, beyond the lyrics it's too stereotypical "JD Post 2000 Ballad". I'll Be Loving You Long Time is my 2nd favorite song from the album, and I think it's 1 of the 2 songs that would've made a great 1st single. The other, my favorite song from the album FOR THE FUCKIN RECORD, I love this song, I loved it from the 1st time I heard it in her perfume commercial. I think it would've made a interesting 1st single choice. Never been here for Migrate despite the lambs love for it, but then again, Im not a fan of T-Pain. I LOVE I STAY IN LOVE, despite it sounding like the typical JD produced ballad. My top picks for this album are For The Record, I'll Be Loving You Long Time (hate the title tho), I stay In Love, Cruise Control, I'm That chick, I wish you well, & Heat.

Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel, I'm sorry Im just not here for this album, Obsessed SUCKS, lyrically I give her her credit for going against Em (tho he won), she went hard tho, but this song is sooo hoodriah, it shouldn't have been on the album, it should've been a stand alone single, and H.A.T.E. U should've been the 1st single. I like her version of I Wanna Know What Love Is, but I prefer the original. Up Out My Face is hoodriah trash. Angels Cry IS AMAZEBALLS, 1 of Ne-Yo's best. My standout tracks are H.A.T.E. U, I Want To Know What Love Is, Angels Cry, & Candy Bling

Merry Christmas II You. Her worst album of the bunch. OH SANTA SUCKS, I don't know what she was thinking with that, I wonder if she did expect it to do what All I Want For Christmas did, but Oh Santa is tooo damn hood.And all these songs in general are very forgetable. THE 1, count em 1, standout song for me is Oh Come All Ye Faithful.

Me. I am Mariah, The Elusive Chanteuse, I love it for starters, MUCH better than I thought it would be. Tho I am let down because I had hoped it would be her 1st more pop album of the last 15 years. I like how it has different styles, it is definitely her most eclectic in the last 15 years, but I was hoping for more pop, my stand out songs are #Beautiful, Supernatural, Meteorite, One more try, Cry, The Art Of Letting Go, & Make It Look Good,

Updated ranking

1.Emotions

2.Mariah Carey

3.Music Box

4.Merry Christmas

5.Daydream

6.Butterfly

7.Glitter

8.Emancipation

9.E=MC

10.Me. I Am Mariah

11.#1's

12. Memiors Of A Imperfect Angel

13.Rainbow

14. Charmbracelet

15. Merry Christmas II You

• Upvote 1

Okay I'm back. :lol: I won't repeat what I said last time. Mainly this will just be supplementary, semi-reactionary to Jarryl's post, and rushed lol

I originally said her debut is her most diverse, and I still stand by that. MIAMTEC, however, gives it stiff competition in that department. Yeah I'd have to say it's easily one of my favorite debuts, along with it spawning my very favorite debut single ~ "Vision of Love" is an influential classic. Also, one performance that stands out to me during this time is her rendition of "American the Beautiful." She owns the song while Whitney owned the "Star Spangled Banner."

Emotions will always be my favorite especially for the music and the vocals. Oh yeah that's right, the C+C Club Mix of "Emotions" was her first rerecorded remix (even if partially lol). Actually, one thing I wished some of her songs had were intros (i.e. "I'm That Chick" sounds way better with the intro leading right into it). She did it for "You Don't Know What To Do" though with this new album so I'm glad about that. B)"The Wind" may be the very last song I'd ever expect her to sing (well aside from "Loverboy" lol).

The Music Box is still mainly about the 4-5 singles + b-sides with me. "Dreamlover" and "Hero" are what made me a fan in the first place after all lol. Radio in 1993-1994 >>>>>>> The title track is quite nice as well tho, the remix of "Never Forget You" from the CD single is a gem, and I actually heard "I've Been Thinking About You" twice in public lol.

Daydream and Butterfly tend to interchange as my 2nd favorite to Emotions. I still say they were both amazing artistic transitions. 2 years ago, Daydream was my 2nd favorite but as of right now that silver medal goes to Butterfly. Out of nowhere, I've really gotten into "The Roof" again and again lol. (This album, Velvet Rope, and Baduizm made 1997 a great year for female R&B albums)

I never talked about the #1's compilation last time. Obviously the title is exactly as it describes plus 4 new songs (or 5 depending on the territory lol). The new tracks "Sweetheart," "When You Believe" (two greatest vocalists on one song), "I Still Believe" (nice gesture to Brenda K. Starr). However, Greatest Hits >>>>>

Naturally because it has more songs. It's a good introductory point for anyone wanted to get into her Columbia years. And the only thing(s) #1's has that GH doesn't are "Whenever You Call" (duet version) and "Do You Know Where You're Going To." Yeah, I actually prefer the original too ~ the arrangement with the choir already gives it an edge. However, 96% of Mariah's covers are superior lol

Rainbow = one of the best "get-me-out-of-my-contract-now" albums of all time tbh. For better or for worse, it was different lol. But "BLISS," man! Whew, I need a minute lol!

Hearing the original "Loverboy" with the Firecracker sample in an early Glitter promo vid - that always made me wonder how the album would've sounded with that dynamic. A shame it never came to be. I won't name names I don't know her excuse me lol. I think it wouldn't have gotten such a bad wrap if it wasn't associated with a movie. "Want You" is my favorite at the moment ~ one of her best duets tbh. Her and Eric Benet's voice blend perfectly together.

lol yeah I get it with Charmbracelet. Yeah a bit too restrained here, although she slayed "My Saving Grace" and "Bringin' on the Heartbreak" ^_^ Still I'm very much here for its laidback summery vibe as I stated last time lol

In addition to Remixes, a B-Sides and Rarities collection would be amazing.

More comments on TEOM. I prefer the MTV Movie Awards version of "We Belong Together" to the album track. The lush strings and organic production really help bring it to another level. "Fly Like A Bird" is still my favorite, that hasn't changed ~ although it was "Mine Again" at the time it came out.

Again, E=MC2 is the dessert to TEOM's main course lol. Yeah if I had a dollar for every time someone said "'Migrate' should've been the 2nd single." I prefer "For The Record" too. Lately, I've been playing "Thanx 4 Nothin'" more. (p.s. I wish that a cappella was longer too)

I still stand firmly by what I said for Memoirs. B) "H.A.T.E.U." and "It's A Wrap" are still my favs here. Also one "supplementary" comment: I wish we had gotten to hear "Skydiving" mastered to full quality ~ would've made a nice Japanese bonus track lol.

Me. I Am Mariah... is a legacy-reaffirming album. Once again she's doing the music that she loves, and her ear for melody is still amazing as ever. There's a lot of variety here: ballads, hip-hop flavor, a bit of house, and it's very gospel-heavy. I've actually wanted a gospel album from her down the road; one review described it as an "accidental gospel album" so I did kinda get that in a roundabout way lol. Also if making a better album meant delaying it a year, then so be it. Otherwise I would've missed out on some great songs like my personal favorite "Dedicated." I went nuts when I heard the Inspectah Deck "Carry like Mariah" sample lol! Overall, the album actually feels quite different but at the same time has elements from many of her past albums. highlights: "Dedicated," "#Beautiful," "You Don't Know What To Do," "Make It Look Good," "Faded," and "Meteorite."

Compared to her other albums, I'd probably rank it around the middle. What can i say...? competition with herself is stiff lol.

So another ranking, but they always change lol... (+ favorite song as of right now)

2. Butterfly ("The Roof")

3. Daydream ("Always Be My Baby")

4. Memoirs of an imperfect Angel ("H.A.T.E.U.")

5. Mariah Carey ("Vanishing")

6. Rainbow ("Crybaby")

7. The Emancipation of Mimi ("Fly Like a Bird")

8. Me. I Am Mariah...The Elusive Chanteuse ("Dedicated")

9. Music Box ("Dreamlover")

10. Charmbracelet ("Yours")

11. Glitter ("Want You")

12. Merry Christmas ("All I Want For Christmas Is You")

13. E=MC² ("Thanx 4 Nothin'")

14. Merry Christmas II You ("When Christmas Comes")

Again, this is my list for right now. I have to let the album sink in a bit more. MOAIA for example sounded even better two months after the release. B) (So come July, it could very well be in a very different position lol!)

• Upvote 2

It saddens me that I haven't participated in this because Mariah is my other fave besides Janet. There's simply too much to write...so for now I will give my ranking. By being low in the list it does not mean that it is a poor album. Mariah does not have a poor album and I LOVE them all.

Updated ranking with my ultimate faves in brackets)

1.Daydream (Forever, Always Be My Baby)

2.Butterfly (Breakdown)

3.Music Box (Never Forget You)

4.Mariah Carey (I Don't Wanna Cry, Someday)

5.Emotions (You're So Cold, The Wind)

6.Charmbracelet (My Saving Grace, Yours)

7.Emancipation (Joy Ride)

8.Glitter (All My Life)

9.Merry Christmas (Miss You Most)

10.Me. I Am Mariah (Meteorite)

11. Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel (More Than Just Friends)

12. #1s (I Still Believe)

13.Rainbow (Bliss)

14. E=MC2 (For The Record, Love Story)

15. Merry Christmas II You (Oh Santa)

For the first time ever, Daydream has surpassed Butterfly for me. I've listened to Mariahs discography a lot as of late and for me Daydream is just pure perfection. I can't even justify why.Music Box, Emotions and Mariah have also moved up. I just appreciate certain songs on them so much more than I did before. I will go into detail with each album later on.

• Upvote 2