The Official gLee Thread

TwistedElegance™

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering when they were going to take on MJ...

Set your DVRs, Gleeks: The cast of TV’s song-dance comedy Glee will perform a cover of Michael Jackson’s groundbreaking 1982 single “Thriller” as a mashup for their post-Super Bowl episode airing next year, FOX snoops divulged to Entertainment Weekly on Wednesday.

Fitting in with the night’s Super Bowl Sunday theme, the episode will be sports-themed and will focus on McKinley High’s football championship and Sue Sylvester’s cheerleaders. And there’s plenty more soul-snappin’, toe-tappin’ pop covers where that came from. The eagerly-anticipated television event — which is also set to feature covers of songs originally recorded by Lady Antebellum, Katy Perry, and the Black Eyed Peas — will be the most expensive Glee episode produced to date and likely one of the most pricey televsion episodes in recent history.

http://www.popcrunch.com/michael-jackson-glee-thriller-cover-set-for-super-bowl-sunday-episode/

• 2 months later...

Glee creator Ryan Murphy has some harsh words for Kings of Leon after the Grammy Award-winning band snubbed a proposed musical tribute on the ratings-winning musical-comedy last year.

In August, Kings of Leon star Jared Followill revealed that the band had turned down the chance for their songs to appear on Ugly Betty and Glee because they were concerned about being perceived as “sell-outs.”

Those candid remarks have been met with displeasure from Murphy, who used some very colorful language to describe his anger over Followill’s remarks annoyed him.

“Fuck you, Kings of Leon,” Murphy bellowed during an interview with The Hollywood Reporter this week. “They’re self-centred assholes, and they missed the big picture. They missed that a 7-year-old kid can see someone close to their age singing a Kings of Leon song, which will maybe make them want to join a glee club or pick up a musical instrument. It’s like, OK, hate on arts education. You can make fun of Glee all you want, but at its heart, what we really do is turn kids on to music.”

Murphy was also irritated by Guns N’ Roses guitarist Slash’s recent claim that Glee – which won a Golden Globe for Best TV Comedy earlier this month — is “worse than Grease.”

“Usually I find that people who make those comments, their careers are over – they’re uneducated and stupid,” Murphy retorted.

Temper. Temper.

Kings of Leon frontman Caleb Followill is floored that the band’s simple refusal to allow the show use their songs has infuriated Murphy to such an extent.

“This whole Glee thing is a shock to us,” he says. “It’s gotten out of hand. At the time of the request, we hadn’t even seen the show. It came at the end of that record cycle and we were over promoting ['Use Somebody']. This was never meant as a slap in the face to Glee or to music education or to fans of the show. We’re not sure where the anger is coming from.”

http://www.popcrunch.com/glee-creator-ryan-murphy-rips-kings-of-leon-slash/

John Travolta sounds rather enthused about playing Mob King John Gotti in a proposed biopic, but the Grease actor admitted this week that he turned down an offer to guest star on the Golden Globe-winning TV musical Glee because he didn’t have enough time to prepare for a possible role.

“They’ve asked,” Travolta, 56, told Entertainment Tonight this week. “When I do musicals I train for six to nine months…and a show like that is an on-demand thing.”

“I really have a criteria or a pride that I would wanna knock ’em dead, and I don’t think I’d knock ’em dead in a week,” says the actor, who recently welcomed a son with wife Kelly Preston, 48.

http://www.popcrunch.com/travolta-glee-snub/

• 2 weeks later...