Photo

Discography Chat: JANET JACKSON

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Poll: Discography Chat: JANET JACKSON (16 member(s) have cast votes)

What's Your Favorite Janet album?

1. Janet Jackson (1982) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Dream Street (1984) (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Control (1986) (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Rhythm Nation 1814 (1989) (7 votes [43.75%])

Percentage of vote: 43.75%

5. janet. (1993) (3 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

6. The Velvet Rope (1997) (5 votes [31.25%])

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

7. All For You (2001) (1 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

8. Damita Jo (2004) (0 votes [0.00%])

9. 20 Y.O. (2006) (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Discipline (2008) (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Kennita Jo.

Kennita Jo.

this is my religion.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts
  • LocationJanhova's Divine Punani.

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

Austin. :tear:

01. The Velvet Rope.
02. Rhythm Nation 1814.
03. Control.
04. janet.
05. All For You.
06. Damita Jo.
07. Discipline.
08. 20 Y.O.
09. Janet Jackson.
10. Dream Street.

#22 J. Weezy

J. Weezy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:56 AM

1. Rhythm Nation 1814
2. Control
3. The Velvet Rope
4. janet.
5. All For You
6. Damita Jo
7. Discipline
8. Janet Jackson
9. 20 Y.O.
10. Dream Street

and IN DAT ORDUH!

Posted Image

n2izwp.jpg

And if you were to ask me...after all that we've been through....still believe in magic? Yes I do.....of course I do

#23 EphraimAdamz

EphraimAdamz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,473 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:03 AM

Maybe I'm just too ghetto but I Damita Jo is my favorite and I enjoyed 20 YO

As for visuals/videos/dancing RN will always be my favorite era.

#24 TwistedElegance™

TwistedElegance™

Blank Project

• Moderators
  • 28,495 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:48 PM

Have to say I'm getting my life from this thread. Maybe some afterlife, too.

Let me start by saying that Janet Jackson is my favourite artist of all time. I feel that's a line some of us deliver to the point of redundancy, but this discography chat will be sure it rings true. I also think it holds significant weight for me personally because a lot of the time you guys will see me take up for "rival" artists, even at times where Janet herself is concerned. But sometimes I feel it's what I don't say that might give off the wrong impression, because I feel my fanhood speaks for itself. I may not communicate it enough on here, but it's a part of me and has been since I properly discovered music. My family and friends associate Janet Jackson with me. Some of them even know who Janet Jackson is because of me. Hers is the only artist's forum I've ever signed up for. To this day my presence on message boards begins and ends with jj.net. She's the reason just last week I drove around half the day in search of a copy of For Colored Girls because I still hadn't seen it. No other artist has captivated me the way she has. And I don't fully know why. I just know she's the one. She's my point of reference and comparison to every artist who followed her reign. I will die a fan.

I'm going to start from the beginning. Mine, not Janet's. 'Miss You Much' was my introduction and I can still remember hearing it for the first time. I was standing in my grandmother's kitchen and the video came on. I don't have some cool story about how I was transfixed or anything like that, but I vividly remember being excited by the sound of music for the very first time. There's such a wonderful sense of urgency about that track. Like the opening chords of Nirvana's 'Smells Like Teen Spirit', it's a song which releases a bodyshot of adrenalin the second it starts. I hear it and I'm moving. Naturally Rhythm Nation 1814 was the next step for me. It remains, after all these years, the greatest album I've ever heard. I don't remember if I asked for it or if my mum simply knew I was a big fan, but I remember her giving me the album on cassette for being good. I have patchy memories of wearing that album out, obsessing over a couple of songs for phases at a time. It's grown up with me. For that reason I may not be the best person to judge whether the album has aged well, but I believe it has. There are elements of everything in there, but I don't think it's definitively representative of a particular time or movement in music. It was incredibly socially aware but never at the expense of a great song. It's so imortant to highlight that. Issue-based lyrics are great and all, but if the musicality is lacking I'm only so invested. Janet, Jimmy, and Terry nailed that shit to the wall. And part of that was perfecting the tracklist. I will always remember Janet's MTV Icon where they talk about putting the album's more hard-hitting socio-tracks at the forefront of RN, and I applaud her for it. A lot of the magic is down to the flow. Plus, the album just has every side of Janet I love. I like to imagine Janet playing RN to the execs for the first time. Surely they must've thought, "Ffffuuuuuuuuuuuu..." There's not too much more I can put into words about this album, just that it's my Thriller. My Purple Rain. My Ray Of Light. My Dark Side Of The Moon. My Sgt. Peppers. My EVERYTHING.

With janet. came the realisation that I had a favourite artist. I was a little bit older and understood the world a little bit more. Sex was light years away, but sexuality had already begun to rear its head. Again, drawing back to Icon, I love when Janet points out that up until 'Love Will Never Do' she was, "covered up to here". That right there is why 'That's The Way Love Goes' was such a great period of re-invention for her. The curls, the skin, just flawless. I'd always felt Janet was the prettiest woman in the world but damn, she was just too beautiful that era. 'TTWLG' was the PERFECT lead-in to janet. I remember fawning over the TV when that video would play. That was the one to talk about at school. Better still was the song itself. The smooth shuffle and sleazy bassline were pure sex, and Janet's lush ad-libs really made that song for me. 'If', well that epitomises Janet Jackson in my eyes. One of the best things she ever put her name to. Those two singles are easily the album's high points for me, followed closely by the open season slayage that is 'This Time'. Fuck me, that song is a beast. Of Janet's major releases, though, it's probably the one I revisit the least in terms of whole albums. Oh, and 'Whoops Now' still blows chunks. (Hi Bu :wave: :lol:).

It wasn't until the janet. era that I made the effort to track down Control. I don't remember it as a child, but I remembered hearing and reading of its impact. It took me a little while to warm to, but keep in mind I'd been spoiled by the riches of its superb follow-ups before making room for it in my life. I think that's the reason I don't hold it quite as high as the rest of the JanFam. Single-wise, on point, no denying it - especially on 'The Pleasure Principle' which is the greatest chunk of the Control era for me.

I think The Velvet Rope era was a great time to be a teenager. Any younger and I don't think I would've fully understood Janet Jackson at that time. We knew Janet the pop star, Janet the R&B seductress. This was Janet the artist. It's one of the few albums in my extensive collection that demands a full play from start to finish. I feel kinda stupid admitting this, but I actually didn't fully understand its themes of loneliness and depression until years later. The experimentation with Janet Jackson's sound is what excited me most about The Velvet Rope. 'Empty', 'What About', 'Velvet Rope', they're an experience for the ears. Obviously I'd known it to be a very personal record, but hearing it with a new appreciation of lyrical content some time after sticks out as a fond Janet memory. It came at a pretty crucial time of self-discovery, not only in my sexuality but my personality too. My taste had begun to branch out and I found myself obsessing over new sounds and alternative artists. Liner notes were a must-read. I will forever love her for the line, "Until he found out he was gay / that's so not mellow." It was a time of mass confusion and I'd just discovered my hero was on my side. What that can do to a little gay boy's understanding of self is pretty extraordinary. It was also the era that brought her to me in the flesh for the first time. :wub: What I said earlier bears repeating: Issue-based lyrics are great and all, but if the musicality is lacking I'm only so invested. Thankfully Janet is a master of the art. I consider TVR to be her greatest achievement in sound. Visually it's stunning, too. It's just shy of being my favourite album by her, but on the richness of songwriting and production I think it set the bar way high.

All For You was a labour of love. I remember being in a little shitbox town visiting family on the day it came out and I was pissed that I wasn't near a record store. Thankfully we wound up at a shopping centre and I raced to Target in the hopes I'd find it, and I did! :lol: God, the things we remember. :lol: I played that album end-to-end all the way back home and that's when it hit me. There was a disconnect, and it kinda floored me. I'd never had to work at a Janet release before. What was I missing? The title track was great, the subsequent singles were too. But why wasn't I in love with this album? I still don't have the answer. I can say I love it a lot more than I did back then, but there's still something I can't quite put my finger on when it comes to AFY. Certain tracks stand really well on their own ('You Ain't Right' shits, 'Trust a Try', 'Better Days' are highlights), but overall I felt then as I do now that it's the first time I've felt underwhelmed by a Janet Jackson album. A sadder realisation was finding out it wouldn't be the last.

Damita Jo, 20 Y.O. and Discipline are in my collection for the simple fact that I'm a fan for life. It's hard to imagine yourself on the other side of a fanbase when the experience is pretty much lifelong, but if I were a casual or non-listener I don't think anything aside from 'All Nite' or 'Feedback' would've prompted me to pick those albums up. Like any fan would, I will admit to loving them upon release because, well, there's nothing quite like new music from your favourite artist and everything's great when it's brand new. I can't honestly say I'm not affected by the dark cloud that's hovered over her career since you know what, but I trust in my taste enough to know when I hear something that's uninspired and not living up to potential you KNOW is there. I think every bad album has at least one moment of greatness and I've definitely found that in the Janet albums I'm not too fond of. I guess my fear is that it continues with each release. I want nothing more than another great Janet Jackson album, and we know better than anyone that she's got the goods to give us one.

My ranking...

01. Rhythm Nation 1814
02. The Velvet Rope
03. janet.
04. Control
05. All For You
06. Discipline
07. Damita Jo
08. 20 Y.O.
09. Janet Jackson
10. Dream Street

9712kz3.png

These smiling eyes are just a mirror for the sun.

#25 Moloko

Moloko

Pale On Pale

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts
  • LocationDrowning

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:11 PM

01. The Velvet Rope.
02. Rhythm Nation 1814.
03. Control.
04. janet.
05. All For You.
06. Damita Jo.
07. Discipline.
08. 20 Y.O.
09. Janet Jackson.
10. Dream Street.

this

When We were in flames,i needed, i needed you

To run Thought my veins

Like disease,

disease

#26 Paul

Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,656 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:14 PM

TwistedElegance's story is almost identical to mine with only 2 exceptions. I discovered Janet during IF's release. Secondly DJ felt like a slight recovery from AFY - and album which for the most part I could tell was good, but I just couldn't connect. I think a lot of it is to do with the flow. The middle just brings the album down. AFY does have some of my fave Janet songs on it though.

#27 Impactnet

Impactnet

Pompa, boo...pompa!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,351 posts
  • LocationOn Janet's nipple

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

Oh, and 'Whoops Now' still blows chunks. (Hi Bu :wave: :lol:).

Posted Image

Posted Image

<_< :angry: :flipoff: :asham: :blush:
Posted Image

♫♫♫All my life I've waited
To see your smile again...♫♫♫

#28 hotboy06

hotboy06

#Phuckyofave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,929 posts
  • LocationAtrl.net

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:53 PM

I thought some of you are about my age..so I don't know how you missed out on "Control".. :unsure:

I was too young for DS and JJ..but "Control" was when I became a fan. I can't go into detail, but seeing Janet for the first time in the WHYDFML video had my heart..

Janet-Jackson-Control_zps635ff39c.jpg

FUCK EM ONLY WE KNOW.

#29 Impactnet

Impactnet

Pompa, boo...pompa!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,351 posts
  • LocationOn Janet's nipple

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:58 PM

It's hard for me to remember when I actually became a Janet fan - because ever since I was born she was always...there, everywhere. That's why I can't fathom why she's not big in the UK right now and almost forgotten because she was EVERYWHERE in the 90s. All over the radio, tv, etc.
Posted Image

♫♫♫All my life I've waited
To see your smile again...♫♫♫

#30 Kishi

Kishi

Common Sense

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • LocationFort Lauderdale, Florida

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:49 PM

1. The Velvet Rope - Empty
* This is the first album I remember listening to constantly, because it is so personal and there are so many message throughout it, with each listen, you take something else from it. It's so off track, so different from what released at that time, and a HUGE surprise from her. It wasn't full of lifeless and meaningless love songs, each track has it's own personality and journey. The Velvet Rope is Janet's masterpiece, a triumphant and soul stirring work of art!!

2. Rhythm Nation 1814 - Come Back To Me
* Rhythm Nation wins because of it's iconic imagery, ground breaking sound/music videos, and the live tour, which translate extremely well when played in concert. This is the album that made me fall in love with dance and choreography, which is pretty ironic since my favorite tracks are the last three - all ballads. But whatever vision Janet and her team set out to create, it worked wonderfully.

3. janet. - 70's Love Groove
* This is an album that gets better with time. Janet got FUNKY, DOWN, and DIRTY. I could play any track from this album and it instantly puts a smile on my face. The sensuality works because she's not being filthy or crude, there's a curiousity, innocence, and playful manner with how she works it. This album makes me want to dance, relax on the beach, make passionate love, and dance some more.

4. Damita Jo - Moist
* Damita Jo's appeal to me is that it's the "janet." album, except it's more emphasis on lust rather than romantic love. Sex has already been a constant theme in much of Janet's music, but it seemed as if she was sharing her sexual rennaisance and newfound joy of intercourse. She puts it out there, with absolutely no boundaries or filter, which is a pretty bold move, considering we live in a world where the majority are so conservative about sex. But Janet explores her sex-positivity and yes, the album is incoherent, long, and slightly erratic, but there's no better way she could have delivered it.

5. All For You - China Love
* An album that has grown on me, completely. I enjoy her honesty, her horniness, the hooks, the lyrics, and the flow. There's a peaceful, relaxing place I go to whenever I listen to it from start to finish. While there are a few tracks I always skip, the haunting sounds of "Better Days" always leave me feeling excited and energized.

6. Janet Jackson - Come Give Your Love To Me
* GROOVES!!!! I absolutely adore this album. It's cute, funky, and addictive. While it's not as great as the top 3, I do like every track on the album, which is something I can't say about most albums, period.

7. Control - Nasty
* Control is ranked low only because as I've grown up, I've gotten tired of hearing the songs. "Nasty" is the one song that I can identify with...she had something to prove with that song and it has this winning combination of hard hitting beats, sassy lyrics, don't give a damn attitude, and a hot video!

8. 20 Y.O. - Enjoy
* While I think 20 Y.O. is consistent with it's sound and flow from start to finish, it almost feels incomplete, like there's a piece of the puzzle missing. Obviously, this piece I'm referring to is "Roll Witchu"...that song is what makes a perfect blend of classic Janet and modern music, absolutely orgasmic.

9. Discipline - Never Letchu Go
* Discipline is cold, brash, and blunt. It's kind of all over the place. With time, it leaves less of an impact on me. I do enjoy "Feedback", "Luv", "Can't B Good", "Never Letchu Go", "2Nite", and "So Much Betta" the most.

10. Dream Street - All My Love To You
* This album is cute and funky, but it suffers from 80's cheese syndrome. "Don't Stand Another Chance" is definitely one of her better and underrated singles. I think much of the songs stand better on their own rather than as an album.
Posted Image

#31 EphraimAdamz

EphraimAdamz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,473 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:26 AM

Discipline is weird because I always forget about it...Then feedback or rock with u comes on and I'm like oh yeah this my song!

#32 J. Weezy

J. Weezy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:56 AM

I think the first time I really listened to Janet was around 8 years ago when I discovered my mother's Design of a Decade cd and wore it out. It wasn't until probably the Discipline era, however, that I became a die hard fan. Similar to Twisted, I can't see myself ever having another artist above her. Everything about her resonates deeply within in me. I not only listen to her music, I feel like I know who she is (which is hard for cynical non-fans to understand). The similarities between us are numerous. She is my soul mate. I love her more than some of the people in my life. :cry:

n2izwp.jpg

And if you were to ask me...after all that we've been through....still believe in magic? Yes I do.....of course I do

#33 hotboy06

hotboy06

#Phuckyofave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,929 posts
  • LocationAtrl.net

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:56 AM

I think the first time I really listened to Janet was around 8 years ago when I discovered my mother's Design of a Decade cd and wore it out. It wasn't until probably the Discipline era, however, that I became a die hard fan. Similar to Twisted, I can't see myself ever having another artist above her. Everything about her resonates deeply within in me. I not only listen to her music, I feel like I know who she is (which is hard for cynical non-fans to understand). The similarities between us are numerous. She is my soul mate. I love her more than some of the people in my life. :cry:

:lmao: :lmao:

:ph34r:

FUCK EM ONLY WE KNOW.

#34 J. Weezy

J. Weezy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:57 PM

:lmao: :lmao:

:ph34r:

:lol: I'm so so serious -_-

n2izwp.jpg

#35 Velvet.Xone

Velvet.Xone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:03 PM

I think I'll always be biased towards Velvet Rope b/c it's when I first discovered Janet. I was young so I just loved jamming to the songs. Then in time as I got older I finally grasped hold of the meanings of the songs as they tied to me personally; What About, Special, You, the title track, Every Time (no matter how much I shade it), Accept Me, Got Til It's Gone being the ones that I've connected with most from it.

Then sometime after AFY came out, I got into her older material also & I was just blown. The layers of this woman's voice/vocals, her performing energy, attitude, growth, depth, class. Then her beauty MY GOD!!!! Her smile is what inspired God to create all things beautiful in this world. (Her & Tina Turner's smiles>>>>>)

For a while, there were no other female artist I ever gave time to. I've grown & let most in, but Janet has & will always remain #1.

10. Dream Street
9. Janet Jackson
8. 20 YO
7. Discipline
6. Damita Jo
5. All For You
4. Control
3. Rhythm Nation
2. janet.
1. Velvet Rope

Posted Image

#36 jarrylf

jarrylf

Jackson Soldier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:18 PM

Discipline is weird because I always forget about it...Then feedback or rock with u comes on and I'm like oh yeah this my song!

Discipline is literally the only album and era I forget (not on a regular basis, but just every now & then) like it just came and went so fast. I'd forget 20Y.O. more if I didn't like Enjoy, Take Care & Do It To Me so much and listen to those on a regular basis. Where's theres virtually no song on Discipline I listen to on a regular basis.
Ah, but nobody said life was fair, Im bigger and faster, I will always beat you
Posted Image

#37 nemmy.

nemmy.

Antisocialite.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:51 PM

I was too young for DS and JJ..but "Control" was when I became a fan. I can't go into detail, but seeing Janet for the first time in the WHYDFML video had my heart..

That's one of my first memories...Janet, the big hair and shoulder pads. I was in love.With respect to Tina Turner, as an artist, entertainer and performer, there is no woman better than Janet Jackson.

1. The Velvet Rope
2. Rhythm Nation 1814
3. Control
4. janet.
5. All For You
6. Damita Jo
7. Discipline
8. 20 Y.O.
9. Janet Jackson
10. Dream Street

#38 hotboy06

hotboy06

#Phuckyofave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,929 posts
  • LocationAtrl.net

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:55 PM

That's one of my first memories...Janet, the big hair and shoulder pads. I was in love.With respect to Tina Turner, as an artist, entertainer and performer, there is no woman better than Janet Jackson.

1. The Velvet Rope
2. Rhythm Nation 1814
3. Control
4. janet.
5. All For You
6. Damita Jo
7. Discipline
8. 20 Y.O.
9. Janet Jackson
10. Dream Street

Not one lie spoken. :cry: