Now Trending: People Noticing Bruno Mars Appropriating Black Music

51 minutes ago, jarrylf said:

That doesnt make sense tho, if this is the kind of music ultimately hes been making as a writer & producer since before his debut lead single that means this is who hes always been, his discography as a whole has more R&B hip hop & funk than it does pop. Thats why anyone arguing hes appropriating is wrong.

Game.....they dont remotely compare. Bruno doesn't just give credit, and he wasnt just raised on it, he made a name for himself as a producer & writer in Urban genres before becoming a pop star. The same cant be said for Justin, Justin came out pop AF, THEN Down the line started dipping in R&B. So this is talented Bruno apples and untalented Justin oranges.^_^

So.. who cares if he produced and wrote for Black artists... btw JT has produced both Rihanna & Beyoncé songs :lmao: sooooooo 

JT started in the 90s with his group.. an R&B & pop group that BET literally played on HEAVY rotation... but let’s not talk about Bruno... let’s bring up JT, Xtina, & JLo

Whataboutism at its FINEST

GURL. :sigh: 

This is such a non issue. 

Bruno Mars and JT are pop stars inspired by music’s greatest. You can listen to them or not. Meanwhile, children are getting murdered and our government and president are doing nothing. Get your fucking priorities straight. This**shit**doesn’t**matter. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Horny Braxton said:

GURL. :sigh: 

This is such a non issue. 

Bruno Mars and JT are pop stars inspired by music’s greatest. You can listen to them or not. Meanwhile, children are getting murdered and our government and president are doing nothing. Get your fucking priorities straight. This**shit**doesn’t**matter. 

Don’t comment :umm: 

2 hours ago, State of the Game said:

So.. who cares if he produced and wrote for Black artists... btw JT has produced both Rihanna & Beyoncé songs :lmao: sooooooo 

JT started in the 90s with his group.. an R&B & pop group that BET literally played on HEAVY rotation... but let’s not talk about Bruno... let’s bring up JT, Xtina, & JLo

Whataboutism at its FINEST

So you're saying Justin produced for Bey & Rih before he debut'd in 97.....because thats the ONLY way that would be relateable....to the point that Bruno got his start as a R&B & Hip hop producer & songwriter before anyone knew who he was as a artist....:unsure:

Um....his group didnt get into R&B until their 2nd album....they spent the entire 90s being pop (and only pop) as fuck.

You want to bring up other artists in a attempt to change the subject which is a admission of defeat? Sure, lets discuss

2 hours ago, State of the Game said:

:lmao: HuffPost is pushing this story

what did Bruno do to deserve this?!? Omg :lmao: RIP Bruno Mars career

Um...if the debate was overwhelmingly against him youd have a point but the fact that the majority in the debate are calling out how people acusing him are wrong, theres no real harm that thats being discussed, it's not like when Justin went all "ALM"...or "man of the weak"...or doing the lamest superbowl ever....its not that, hell its not even a threat to his success...the shows are selling, the songs are still on the charts

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, State of the Game said:

Replace Bruno with JT :coffee: JT grew up with R&B but he’s “appropriating”... both give credit.. one is white. The other is not

JT was great and he’s talented in a sense. 

This came up in JT’s thread. Yet Bruno doing the same shit. I guess JT evolved :lmao: 

Thank you! That's why I used JT's name. Bruno did the same thing as JT but only JT gets to be called out for appropriation but not Bruno? I bet if Bruno was white they'd agree with the thread topic. I ain't got time:rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

..........yall do know ignoring facts dont make them disappear or wrong right :lmao: 

All the press this is getting isnt dragging him, its dragging all yall who dont know what appropriation is :lol:

No, Bruno Mars Is Not Guilty of ‘Cultural Appropriation’

https://www.thedailybeast.com/no-bruno-mars-is-not-guilty-of-cultural-appropriation

https://thegrapevine.theroot.com/the-bruno-mars-controversy-proves-people-don-t-understa-1823709412

6 hours ago, jarrylf said:

So you're saying Justin produced for Bey & Rih before he debut'd in 97.....because thats the ONLY way that would be relateable....to the point that Bruno got his start as a R&B & Hip hop producer & songwriter before anyone knew who he was as a artist....:unsure:

Um....his group didnt get into R&B until their 2nd album....they spent the entire 90s being pop (and only pop) as fuck.

You want to bring up other artists in a attempt to change the subject which is a admission of defeat? Sure, lets discuss

Um...if the debate was overwhelmingly against him youd have a point but the fact that the majority in the debate are calling out how people acusing him are wrong, theres no real harm that thats being discussed, it's not like when Justin went all "ALM"...or "man of the weak"...or doing the lamest superbowl ever....its not that, hell its not even a threat to his success...the shows are selling, the songs are still on the charts

Doesn’t matter WHEN they wrote or produce songs for black artists... they both did it at some point. 

You have a point if Bruno magically garnered singing powers from some black artist

Doesnt matter when N’SYNC started to garner a black audience. They did it with JT’s song GONE which excelled his career 

Whataboutism is something Trump supporters do to push the attention off Trump. It’s the same thing you’re doing with Bruno

While I love Bruno and this subject doesn’t dismiss his talents and my like for him (or JT)... I just love the double standard amongst male artists of different races.

Doesn’t matter that the “press” you found is “majority for him”... The conversation has started

Doesn’t matter WHEN they wrote or produce songs for black artists... they both did it at some point. 

You have a point if Bruno magically garnered singing powers from some black artist

Doesnt matter when N’SYNC started to garner a black audience. They did it with JT’s song GONE which excelled his career 

Whataboutism is something Trump supporters do to push the attention off Trump. It’s the same thing you’re doing with Bruno

While I love Bruno and this subject doesn’t dismiss his talents and my like for him (or JT)... I just love the double standard amongst male artists of different races.

Doesn’t matter that the “press” you found is “majority for him”... The conversation has started

:lmao: you ABSOLUTELY cannot be serious, that doesn't make any sense saying it's the same. A unknown Bruno Mars in credits for R&B & HIp hop hits before he was a solo artist is most definitely not the same as Justin in credits after he left his wildly popular pop group to have a pop solo career....yea.....that's so....similar :lmao: Bruno came in the game a respected R&B & Hip Hop songmaker behind the scenes before the GP had any idea who he was or what he had accomplished.  Justin came in pop as fuck, and then on his pop groups 3rd pop album dropped a R&B song (that was the 2nd single) ....thats the same? :lol:

Well that sentence doesn't make sense, but what does is that I do have a point because Bruno was making Urban music before his debut album for other artists for years and Justin hadn't which is why it's not appropriation for Bruno

:lmao: It absolutely does, they were a pop group that dabbled (just like he's a pop artist that dabbled) after their 1st album, big difference, they didn't break onto the scene that way, 

Whataboutism....is literally all you & Joe have been doing in this conversation "what about J.Lo, what about them, what about Justin" please. I'm keeping it on track and on facts about Bruno.

Um duh, it exists, not all artists are the same and have the same backgrounds and beginnings, it's baffling to me that you're trying to argue that he & Justin do when the differences are huge. Give it up, this connection you're trying to force between Justin & Bruno literally nobody sees, the reason, is because even if Bruno was white it still wouldn't be the same if he was white and had the same background and journey, which is being a successful producer of hip hop & R&B music before he even dropped his 1st single......that's where him being genuine with his passion for this music comes from, that's why it's more believable, and authentic then leaving it simply with "oh I loved listening to R&B artists as a kid", that's Justin, Bruno was making R&B music and getting hits and money with it before his voice appeared on a track....if that's the same to you as "I grew up listening".......then you're content with being wrong :coffee:

The problem with your analysis of the situation and why it won't affect him is the conversation....is mostly about the conversation and how many  don't even understand what they're talking in the name of appropriation, it'd be a different thing if it was a overwhelming "oh....that's true", the way it was for Justin, but no the fact is the conversation is heavily about it not fitting him and most people defending that it doesn't fit him.

Those links are opinionated

Nearly every single publication that's run with this story is opinionated, and those that aren't are just posting about the conversation, and again the vast majority is pointing out how wrong the side calling him out is and how they don't know what they're talking about.

FACT: Both artists has produced & written  music for black artists

FACT: Neither are black but stay all up in “black music” (devil’s advocate) 

Whataboutism is literally what you did when you mentioned JT who is NOT apart of the conversation. This thread & topic is about Bruno Mars and his appropriation in music. No one else’s. I mentioned JT to muse those members and people who call out his name to change the subject

Those links are biased towards your opinion.. which is fine. Glad you found a minor publication with the same opinion as you 

Slightly off topic but I just YouTubed a video of JT’s concert intro from his first tour stop last night and it was so lame... the guy just literally walks out on stage like the grandpa he is and the crowd barely noticed it seemed.. the band didn’t even try to make his shitty filthy song sound any type of better either..

and I also wanna warn folks to NOT watch his, ummmmm, “dance-break” (I guess you can call it ??‍♂️) at the end of filthy cuz it can’t be unseen but it did provide an lol moment for meh..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, State of the Game said:

FACT: Both artists has produced & written  music for black artists

FACT: Neither are black but stay all up in “black music” (devil’s advocate) 

Whataboutism is literally what you did when you mentioned JT who is NOT apart of the conversation. This thread & topic is about Bruno Mars and his appropriation in music. No one else’s. I mentioned JT to muse those members and people who call out his name to change the subject

Those links are biased towards your opinion.. which is fine. Glad you found a minor publication with the same opinion as you 

You said all that not to disprove anything?...thats the worst Trumpism of all getting presented with facts and saying "I disagree". The 1st fact has already been explained in detail (details matter) why that seperates them. And your 2nd is another fail, Bruno, by crafting his name in R&B & HipHop even before his debut, hell before that I didnt even bring up his dad was in a black band (so again its way more than "some of my favorite artists), thus its overwhelmingly apart of his life and legacy and its easy to check....Justins a dabbler, not the same at all...no matter how hard you try.

FACT: Justin didnt produce shit for other artists until after he was well established as a artist. A

Your words about my sources would be so much more credible if you posted articles saying the contrary to what Im saying, that your opinion is the minority in the discussion....do any...like nobody who agrees with the wrong side has any credited sources on their side from any sites

Im seeing a common thing among the misinformed who use the term appropriation where it doesnt fit. Theyre judging off of the basics, the little they see or know about the artist in question. They don't (/won't) look at the details of the artists entire career and public information about their lives to judge of the title fits or not.

But thats too much work, people would rather be wrong & stay wrong than work for being right it seems. 

3 hours ago, jarrylf said:

You said all that not to disprove anything?...thats the worst Trumpism of all getting presented with facts and saying "I disagree". The 1st fact has already been explained in detail (details matter) why that seperates them. And your 2nd is another fail, Bruno, by crafting his name in R&B & HipHop even before his debut, hell before that I didnt even bring up his dad was in a black band (so again its way more than "some of my favorite artists), thus its overwhelmingly apart of his life and legacy and its easy to check....Justins a dabbler, not the same at all...no matter how hard you try.

FACT: Justin didnt produce shit for other artists until after he was well established as a artist. A

Your words about my sources would be so much more credible if you posted articles saying the contrary to what Im saying, that your opinion is the minority in the discussion....do any...like nobody who agrees with the wrong side has any credited sources on their side from any sites

You’re “facts” are whataboutism which makes your point moot.. “what about ____ that Obama did” doesn’t take away the fact that Trump is a terrible president.. much like mentioning JT in a Bruno thread is irrelevant to what Bruno is doing :umm: 

Doesn’t matter if JT produce/wrote for other artists after his big debut :yawn: He got credit for it. 

I haven’t done the research on Bruno to form an opinion on whether I’m in the minority. I just saw what I saw on twitter and social media

13 minutes ago, State of the Game said:

You’re “facts” are whataboutism which makes your point moot.. “what about ____ that Obama did” doesn’t take away the fact that Trump is a terrible president.. much like mentioning JT in a Bruno thread is irrelevant to what Bruno is doing :umm: 

Doesn’t matter if JT produce/wrote for other artists after his big debut :yawn: He got credit for it. 

I haven’t done the research on Bruno to form an opinion on whether I’m in the minority. I just saw what I saw on twitter and social media

Except for the fact that you're actually outright lying I didn't bring Justin up, my 1st post didn't even say his untalented name.....soooo that's 2 Trumpism's for you, alternative facts, and lying as if it's true. AS WELL as the fact that you haven't debunked any of the actual facts I've laid out, period :lmao: I'm sorry I went this far before I went back to check for good before I called you out on saying "I brought him up" when I knew I didn't....you shoulda beat me to checking on that :lol:

And there's the problem to why his can be seen as trying to fit in, when because  he didn't touch it until he was a certain place in his career, vs. what Bruno built his career off of before he was even a artist, that was a cute try but you gotta let this attempt go, it'll never be the same when details come into it as it's supposed to.

Oh....well I did....you guys are, not only on social media, but in the press, again ALL the press is about either the conversation OR how people accusing him don't know what their talking about, it's not a all out dragging....like other artists have gotten over the same issue. :coffee:

6 minutes ago, jarrylf said:

Except for the fact that you're actually outright lying I didn't bring Justin up, my 1st post didn't even say his untalented name.....soooo that's 2 Trumpism's for you, alternative facts, and lying as if it's true. AS WELL as the fact that you haven't debunked any of the actual facts I've laid out, period :lmao: I'm sorry I went this far before I went back to check for good before I called you out on saying "I brought him up" when I knew I didn't....you shoulda beat me to checking on that :lol:

And there's the problem to why his can be seen as trying to fit in, when because  he didn't touch it until he was a certain place in his career, vs. what Bruno built his career off of before he was even a artist, that was a cute try but you gotta let this attempt go, it'll never be the same when details come into it as it's supposed to.

Oh....well I did....you guys are, not only on social media, but in the press, again ALL the press is about either the conversation OR how people accusing him don't know what their talking about, it's not a all out dragging....like other artists have gotten over the same issue. :coffee:

I didn’t say you said it first.. did I? 

Doesnt matter when JT did.. it’s what Bruno is doing ??‍♂️

9 minutes ago, State of the Game said:

I didn’t say you said it first.. did I? 

Doesnt matter when JT did.. it’s what Bruno is doing ??‍♂️

Your implication was that I brought him up in "whataboutism" which you've been harping on, yet, I've only responded to him being brought up, thus you're basically now admitting it doesn't apply to me, thanx :lol:

Except it LITERALLY does matter when , that's entirely the point. someones start vs. years into their career. It matters cause it means Bruno's more authentic because he's being who he's really always been, vs. what Justin's trying/learning to be.:lmao:

I don't care about what the press is saying. I care about what Black people are saying and a lot are saying what this topic is about. PERIOD. I don't dislike Bruno and he's very talented but if he been doing this his whole career then it wouldn't make sense for Black people to just now start calling him out. Obviously he's doing something and we're noticing so they're calling him out.

Sooooo it's been stated and proven over and over that he's been making music like this since before he came out as a solo artist.....yet....you're still saying he JUST started this. You're proving my point that everyone on the side against him don't know enough about either him or what appropriation is to criticize him, more obviously, people are mad that he's made better & more successful R&B than most current R&B artists. THAT'S where this stems from, it makes perfect sense (it happens to EVERY single artist of a different race that gets major success in hip-hop or R&B, whether they appropriate or not they'll be accused of it), what doesn't make sense is calling him out and not knowing he's been this guy all along, watch the interviews, look up the production discography, he started producing music like he makes for other artists and anyone who says otherwise is just wrong and content with being wrong. If it were majority of black people on all social media on the wrong side and dragging him THAT would've been covered by the media, but instead, it's the media INCLUDING the black media trying educate everyone who's wrong on why their wrong.

I actually know and talked to the girl who started all this mess. She has been going after Bruno Mars for years and the reason why I brought him up here when y'all were talking about Justin. The whole discussion came about when Bruno Mars won all the Grammys, then more blacks started to jump on the appropriating train because their fav didn't win. I find it sad that nobody really cared until he started to get successful. Honestly who cares and I say this about Justin as well...if they want to make music they are inspired by...let them. It's up to you to determine if it feels authentic or not...that's the great thing about art. 

• Upvote 1