Has the music industry become so homogeneous?

Illi

It seems like the only way you can become consistently successful is if an artist goes pop. I consider myself a big pop fan, but I'm not a big fan of how it's monopolizing the industry. Hip hop can occasionally makes some strides, but it's past its prime from the mid noughties. I don't consider myself a rock, but I would love for tradition rock (i.e., not Maroon 5, I like them but they're more pop than anything) to come back. The irrelevance of R&B is been beaten on the head already. Is diversity in the music industry a thing of the past????

No diversity isn't a thing of the past, our Moderator Matt demonstrates a very profound and diverse sense of music, as well as many members of this board, they often post songs that without them I would have NEVER heard, Azelia Banks 212 to name just one. The industry isn't what they follow, you know what they follow? Their own tastes, the industry is in it to make a quick disposable buck, but some artists make music simply because they love to make music, they are not caught up in contracts and fighting for royalties and all that they write produce and simply create. So if you want diversity seek it out, listen to many artists out here on the fringe making great music no one is hearing because Ke$ha gets the promo time, doesn't make the music any less good that isn't getting play. "Feedback" was a number 1 hit that never was, because of lack of promo from industry, but that didn't make the song any less great.

• Upvote 2

and part of the issue are the times, things change, kids today no loyality that's why their artists stay in the limelight working until damn near dead from exhaustion cause bitches gotta eat while they can, and it aint a 24 hour buffet for these artists now, that's why Rihanna can have two or three albums in 2 years when Janet would wait 4...like I said they know what they gotta do before their time is up and some other act comes along to replace them. I think Beyonce is over yet she hosting the SB ....have fun with that :coffee:.....industry? Ch. :filenails:

No diversity isn't a thing of the past, our Moderator Matt demonstrates a very profound and diverse sense of music, as well as many members of this board, they often post songs that without them I would have NEVER heard, Azelia Banks 212 to name just one. The industry isn't what they follow, you know what they follow? Their own tastes, the industry is in it to make a quick disposable buck, but some artists make music simply because they love to make music, they are not caught up in contracts and fighting for royalties and all that they write produce and simply create. So if you want diversity seek it out, listen to many artists out here on the fringe making great music no one is hearing because Ke$ha gets the promo time, doesn't make the music any less good that isn't getting play. "Feedback" was a number 1 hit that never was, because of lack of promo from industry, but that didn't make the song any less great.

I understand exactly what you are saying. There's more to music than what big labels shove down the publics throat. But when I ask these questions, I mean at a commercial level. Back in the 90s, people could make different kinds of music and be profitable, now that seems to be a thing of the past. It comes to the point where those successful musicians are taking the job of others.

I understand exactly what you are saying. There's more to music than what big labels shove down the publics throat. But when I ask these questions, I mean at a commercial level. Back in the 90s, people could make different kinds of music and be profitable, now that seems to be a thing of the past. I comes to the point where those successful musicians are taking the job of others.

well when most people can steal your product for free its not exactly the best climate to be outside the box, they maximize profits minimize loss and keep on cranking out forgettable stuff

I totally agree.. Until you mentioned Feedback :umm:

tumblr_mc9qe7grGp1qe3kfyo1_500.gif

I understand exactly what you are saying. There's more to music than what big labels shove down the publics throat. But when I ask these questions, I mean at a commercial level. Back in the 90s, people could make different kinds of music and be profitable, now that seems to be a thing of the past. It comes to the point where those successful musicians are taking the job of others.

Are they shoving them down our throat.. are only a few people actually knows what the people want

The music industry is a popularity contest..

That's why I'm glad I grew up in the time I did. 1994 for example was a truly diverse year; the hit songs were unique and left lasting impressions. Rock, hip-hop, house, R&B, and more each had their own successful lanes. Even within each genre, nothing sounded alike.

Now songs are either unsuccessful or tailor-made for pop radio (I can't wait until this electropop fad dies out; it's already losing steam). There's still some good music out there though, but we just have to put in a little effort to find it. And these quality artists need to be supported.

I was happy to see artists like Goyte and Fun. take over the charts this year. And there seems to be a little shift from the dance/edm/pop craze that has dominated radio. I still think it'll be prevalent because let's face it, we all like to let loose here and there..but it seems like more indie music is emerging. I don't see rnb being prevalent again until we get someone to make it mainstream again(Janhova). Hip Hop has taken rnb shine..and it's fading as well.

You probably won't see a major shift from the dance/pop thing maybe a couple years down the road. It will fizz out, but it won't go forever.

• Upvote 1

I was happy to see artists like Goyte and Fun. take over the charts this year. And there seems to be a little shift from the dance/edm/pop craze that has dominated radio. I still think it'll be prevalent because let's face it, we all like to let loose here and there..but it seems like more indie music is emerging. I don't see rnb being prevalent again until we get someone to make it mainstream again(Janhova). Hip Hop has taken rnb shine..and it's fading as well.

You probably won't see a major shift from the dance/pop thing maybe a couple years down the road. It will fizz out, but it won't go forever.

Yasssssss. I love Fun and Goyte is okay but they sound diffferent. Especially Fun.

• Upvote 1

I've enjoyed the electro pop era. Growing up black people used to act like they were too good for it. I'm glad its become more tolerable in the black community. The 90's was great, but a lot of music back then used to divide people.

There's actually good electro pop. Loreen's "Euphoria" is a great example. But alot of just became so soulless and it was obvious artists were doing it for the sake a following trends. I would say 90s music divided people, the the 80s definitely have.

• Upvote 1

There's actually good electro pop. Loreen's "Euphoria" is a great example. But alot of just became so soulless and it was obvious artists were doing it for the sake a following trends. I would say 90s music divided people, the the 80s definitely have.

It just always seemed like there was something to be weary of. Rockers had to be this and wear that. Hip Hop had to be gangster this and crip-walk that. The overall music was better then, but the social division was retarded.