Who has the bigger impact?

Escapade

And Aretha isn't the archetype for singing? K.

I gave her credit for her voice. But vocals aren't overall impact. My point is that overall, Diana had a stronger impact. There is no denying who was the bigger star of the two back in their prime.

Vocally Aretha is better, but that's where it ends. in terms of cultural impact Diana was the blueprint for the modern black female pop princess. Half of our faves would not know how to get that crossover money if not for Ms. Ross. Impact wise, she is greater but i love them both.

This.

Vocally Aretha is better, but that's where it ends. in terms of cultural impact Diana was the blueprint for the modern black female pop princess. Half of our faves would not know how to get that crossover money if not for Ms. Ross. Impact wise, she is greater but i love them both.

I agree with this...

So i'll change my vote :)

Diana US

Diana WW

If you asked me now what are Aretha recorded i can only name Respect, that song with Annie Lennox and didn't she do a duet with some guy? I know whe has more hit songs, i just couldn't name them.. probably when i hear them :)

I agree with this...

So i'll change my vote :)

Diana US

Diana WW

If you asked me now what are Aretha recorded i can only name Respect, that song with Annie Lennox and didn't she do a duet with some guy? I know whe has more hit songs, i just couldn't name them.. probably when i hear them :)

George Michael? :lol:

I gave her credit for her voice. But vocals aren't overall impact. My point is that overall, Diana had a stronger impact. There is no denying who was the bigger star of the two back in their prime.

And that's the difference between Aretha and Diana. Aretha is more multifaceted. Aretha was the premiere Black female artist of the 60s, and was the musical voice of the Civil Rights Movement next to James Brown. She represented progress in the Black community, as was the first Black female to reach a popularity comparable to her White counterparts (mainly Barbra Streisand). Not only that, she was the face of Soul Music, a genre that swept the late 60s and 70s and was used as a vehicle for many soul artists who followed. The genre even made its way to the UK, see Dusty Springfield. Diana's representation as an act/artist/figure is not on the same level.

We all know Aretha is the greatest singer of all time, but she, too, was a multi-talented artist - singer, songwriter, instrumentalist; the latter two Diana never attempted, or could, be. Lady Soul is a better album than Diana's entire catalog, and "Respect" is more ubiquitous than anything Diana has released. Aretha's overall artistic output is more important to the development and continuation of music. An important singer, an important artist, a pioneer for Black women, and artists in general that crosses generations, cultures, and races. Diana? Not so much. All image. Not multifaceted.

• Upvote 2

But if Diana didn't have crossover success she wouldn't have more worldwide hit's than Aretha (which she does). Diana had crossover success yrs before Aretha did. Aretha represensts Music & artistry, but Diana represents ENTERTAINMENT, hell Diana's impact got Aretha wearing the big wigs and sparkly gowns in the late 60's in the early 60's Aretha wasn't dressing like that. Again Diana was the 1st do it all women of her time, and bought glamor to black celebs never seen quite like that before hand. Diana's image was dominant world wide, and undenyable. If the impact is about music and aritstry Aretha gets it, but Diana gets major points & respect for her music, her acting, & performing. Aretha opened doors to vocalists, Diana opened the doors to entertainers. Everything you said about Aretha as a pioneer resignates with Diana if not more so because of how versitile she was in her career. Where they dropped the ball on was her artistry, but they made up for that with her branding.

All you listed was why she's the best singer & artist, we're saying why Diana is the best Entertainer of her time, and she's more comparable to Streisand in that Streisand wasn't just a singer either, and is a all around entertainer. Aretha was the face of soul music but Diana was the face of Pop music for years, and had hits & respect before Aretha blew up in 67.

I love them both a ton, as far as the music, couldn't pick 1 more than the other because they're 2 different types of artists, but Diana is the 1 with the bigger impact on the industry (with music, film, & performances), Aretha stays in music.

• Upvote 2

And that's the difference between Aretha and Diana. Aretha is more multifaceted. Aretha was the premiere Black female artist of the 60s, and was the musical voice of the Civil Rights Movement next to James Brown. She represented progress in the Black community, as was the first Black female to reach a popularity comparable to her White counterparts (mainly Barbra Streisand). Not only that, she was the face of Soul Music, a genre that swept the late 60s and 70s and was used as a vehicle for many soul artists who followed. The genre even made its way to the UK, see Dusty Springfield. Diana's representation as an act/artist/figure is not on the same level.

We all know Aretha is the greatest singer of all time, but she, too, was a multi-talented artist - singer, songwriter, instrumentalist; the latter two Diana never attempted, or could, be. Lady Soul is a better album than Diana's entire catalog, and "Respect" is more ubiquitous than anything Diana has released. Aretha's overall artistic output is more important to the development and continuation of music. An important singer, an important artist, a pioneer for Black women, and artists in general that crosses generations, cultures, and races. Diana? Not so much. All image. Not multifaceted.

You can make an argument for both Aretha and Diana being the premiere black female artists of the 60's, with Diana getting the edge because of her crossover success. The woman was part of a group that was 2nd only to the beatles in terms of success in the 60's. Aretha can't really come for that.

Both of them represented progress in the black community in the 60's. Both of them were inspirational to black females that saw them and listened to their music. Though you will see more black females overall (not just singers) mention Diana before Aretha because of her impact with the Supremes.

Diana's brand extended into movies (Successfully into movies)

and Diana was pretty much the face of Motown.

In terms of vocals, Aretha is without a doubt the blueprint, but overall that would be Diana.

You can make an argument for both Aretha and Diana being the premiere black female artists of the 60's, with Diana getting the edge because of her crossover success. The woman was part of a group that was 2nd only to the beatles in terms of success in the 60's. Aretha can't really come for that.

Both of them represented progress in the black community in the 60's. Both of them were inspirational to black females that saw them and listened to their music. Though you will see more black females overall (not just singers) mention Diana before Aretha because of her impact with the Supremes.

Diana's brand extended into movies (Successfully into movies)

and Diana was pretty much the face of Motown.

In terms of vocals, Aretha is without a doubt the blueprint, but overall that would be Diana.

Aretha is just overall more encompassing than Diana. Diana is an image and an entertainer. Aretha has impacted how Black acts approach using the album as an art form. Aretha has impacted the way we sing. Aretha is a pioneer, more so than what Diana was at the time. Aretha is more of a talent than Diana.

The Supremes were only second to The Beatles because they had no competition. No other [female] group of that time had a crossover sound. That's why they excelled over others.

Aretha's impact on the industry supersedes Diana's.

Aretha is just overall more encompassing than Diana. Diana is an image and an entertainer. Aretha has impacted how Black acts approach using the album as an art form. Aretha has impacted the way we sing. Aretha is a pioneer, more so than what Diana was at the time. Aretha is more of a talent than Diana.

The Supremes were only second to The Beatles because they had no competition. No other [female] group of that time had a crossover sound. That's why they excelled over others.

Aretha's impact on the industry supersedes Diana's.

Now, Austin.... :blink:

During a time when black artists STILL had to contend with white acts recording the same songs AFTER them and it being a bigger success simply because the artist was white?

During a time when black artists still had to fight to even get mainstream stations to play them?

During a time when it was still rare to see "us" on major tv shows and in major motion pictures?

Try as you might, you can't minimize the impact and success of The Supremes and Diana Ross basically being the lead and the face of the group.

Diana was the blueprint for not only black female artists, but female artists period. She was arguably the most successful female artist of all time until Whitney, Janet, Metamucil and the arrival of MTV.

Aretha undeniably influenced music and vocalist, but Diana's impact on branding/image, crossover success, being an overall entertainer, and showing just how much you "we" could achieve during that time is just as important. Especially considering Diana was the bigger star of the two.

Now, Austin.... :blink:

During a time when black artists STILL had to contend with white acts recording the same songs AFTER them and it being a bigger success simply because the artist was white?

During a time when black artists still had to fight to even get mainstream stations to play them?

During a time when it was still rare to see "us" on major tv shows and in major motion pictures?

Try as you might, you can't minimize the impact and success of The Supremes and Diana Ross basically being the lead and the face of the group.

Diana was the blueprint for not only black female artists, but female artists period. She was arguably the most successful female artist of all time until Whitney, Janet, Metamucil and the arrival of MTV.

Aretha undeniably influenced music and vocalist, but Diana's impact on branding/image, crossover success, being an overall entertainer, and showing just how much you "we" could achieve during that time is just as important. Especially considering Diana was the bigger star of the two.

You just keep proving my point. Diana is just image and entertainment. What Aretha brought to the table is more fundamental than Diana's impact. Singing. Image. Music. Having a sound. Aretha was the face of soul music. She is the epitome of singing. From R&B to bluegrass, Aretha reigns supreme. :blink:

And you can't amalgamate Diana with The Supremes. Two different acts.

You just keep proving my point. Diana is just image and entertainment. What Aretha brought to the table is more fundamental than Diana's impact. Singing. Image. Music. Having a sound. Aretha was the face of soul music. She is the epitome of singing. From R&B to bluegrass, Aretha reigns supreme. :blink:

How do I keep proving your point? When Diana was inarguably the most successful female artist of her time and laid the foundation and blueprint for crossover success for black female artists? Hell, as late as 93 she was still being called the most successful female artist in history.

The impact, significance, and/or importance of that can't be downplayed.

As an vocalist, Aretha's impact would be greater, but as you know the industry itself is so much more than that. Even Whitney named Diana as an influence.

Aretha's contributions are more important to the building blocks of an artist and pop star. Diana is the extension. That's why Aretha's impact supersedes Diana's. Aretha is fundamental. Diana is extraneous.

But how is DIana an extension when she was a global pop superstar before Aretha relesased Never Loved A Man in 67... Granted I LOVE Arethas early 60's Jazz & blues albums (some of my favorite songs in her catalog), but nobody was buying those singles or albums until 67....when Diana was already established and had hits under her belt, and people copying her look & sound.

Theres soooo much false in that, Aretha was the face of soul music, Diana was the face of POP music when NO other black women was. Both singers have done every genre so to say 1 gets more points for diversity (again only in music) is irrelevant, both have sung virtually EVERY genre, and I know this 1st hand in owning EVERY SINGLE studio album Diana/TheSupremes & Aretha ever done, that I speant weeks tracking down songs and albums that are out of print (RossSilk.jpgYou_%28album%29.jpg), so I know my shit on both of their discographies. Again Aretha's fame came AFTER the world knew Diana Ross, and yea you can include the supremes success to Diana's name, since for half of the time she was with them her entire name was in front of theirs and had success with them in that name.

Diana is simply has made the bigger impact, Aretha inspired singers, Diana inspired singers, dancers, actresses, and Moguls. Its no comparisson unless we're talking simply music, Ross is The Boss.

Because all you can argue against Aretha is image and entertaining. :lmao:

The rise of Aretha Franklin brought about Chaka Khan, Gladys Knight, [somewhat] Natalie Cole, Angela Bofill, and a host of other female R&B acts of the 60s and 70s. Labels were looking for their own version of Aretha. :lmao: Who came about from the rise of Diana? Hardly anyone comes to mind.

This is the difference between the two. Yes, they are both pioneers. Yes they are both crossover Black acts. But that's where it ends.

Aretha has game changing albums. Diana does not.

Aretha has game changing songs. Diana does not.

Aretha is the face of a genre. Diana is not.

Aretha is the archetype of singing. Diana isn't the archetype of anything.

"Respect" became the mantra for women's suffrage. Aretha was the voice of the Civil Rights Movement opposite James Brown. Diana just wasn't in that tier. She wasn't seen as a visionary like Aretha.

Aretha's overall impact on the industry is far more profound and prevalent.

The fact that folks don't know how big of a star Diana was and how she much impact she had is quite sad. But all one has to do is compare their stats to see who had the most impact and who the bigger diva was. Aretha is indeed the archetype for singing but Diana is the archetype, blueprint, gold standard and original black female pop star. Folks need to deal and stop writing essays. :coffee:

And I say this as someone who loves and respects Aretha to the fullest. she is the queen of soul.

• Upvote 2

The fact that folks don't know how big of a star Diana was and how she much impact she had is quite sad. But all one has to do is compare their stats to see who had the most impact and who the bigger diva was. Aretha is indeed the archetype for singing but Diana is the archetype, blueprint, gold standard and original black female pop star. Folks need to deal and stop writing essays. :coffee:

And I say this as someone who loves and respects Aretha to the fullest. she is the queen of soul.

I was about to type an essay, but everything needed to be said is here... :coffee:

But all one has to do is compare their stats to see who had the most impact and who the bigger diva was..

Aretha has 18 Grammys. Diana just got one like 20 minutes ago.

Aretha is ranked by Rolling Stone as the greatest singer of all time. Diana didn't make the list.

Aretha has two albums on Rolling Stone's 500 GOAT albums list. Diana has none.

Aretha was inducted in the R&R HOF before Diana.

Aretha was inducted in the UK Music HOF. Diana was not.

Aretha has titles that have been inducted in the Grammy HOF. Diana has none.

Aretha was ranked by Billboard as the 19th most successful artist of the Hot 100 era. Diana was #25.

Aretha was ranked by Rolling Stone as the 9th greatest artist of all time. Diana was not ranked (solo).

Aretha sang at the historic inauguration for Obama. Diana watched from home.

Shall we go on? :coffee:

Because all you can argue against Aretha is image and entertaining. :lmao:

The rise of Aretha Franklin brought about Chaka Khan, Gladys Knight, [somewhat] Natalie Cole, Angela Bofill, and a host of other female R&B acts of the 60s and 70s. Labels were looking for their own version of Aretha. :lmao: Who came about from the rise of Diana? Hardly anyone comes to mind.

This is the difference between the two. Yes, they are both pioneers. Yes they are both crossover Black acts. But that's where it ends.

Aretha has game changing albums. Diana does not.

Aretha has game changing songs. Diana does not.

Aretha is the face of a genre. Diana is not.

Aretha is the archetype of singing. Diana isn't the archetype of anything.

"Respect" became the mantra for women's suffrage. Aretha was the voice of the Civil Rights Movement opposite James Brown. Diana just wasn't in that tier. She wasn't seen as a visionary like Aretha.

Aretha's overall impact on the industry is far more profound and prevalent.

Diana DOES have game changing albums (Touch Me In The morning, DianaRoss76, Diana80)

Diana DOES have game changing songs

Diana WAS the face of a black female mogul like NOBODY else before her time, thats how she wins. SHE was also the 1st black female artist who didn't sound like the typical black female artist from 3rd Street Around The Corner Missionary Baptist Church, She had her own sound that fit into multiple genres specifically pop like no other black women berfore her, but set the tone vocally for the Janet's & Sade's, women who CAN sing, but don't have the big voices.

Ex-ACTLY, in every sense of the world.

for the bazillionth time, Aretha JUST has music, Diana has a large hand in music but most other things too.