The Janelle Monáe thread

RedSimba

HA new album is good but it feels so uneventful to me. Some great bops here and there but not as BIG as the 1st one.

Yeah AA was near perfection ~ exciting, eclectic, fresh ~ she set the bar really high for herself I knew it would be a tough act to follow.

That said, I'm still enjoying EL. I give in an A while the first gets an A+ lol

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah AA was near perfection ~ exciting, eclectic, fresh ~ she set the bar really high for herself I knew it would be a tough act to follow.

That said, I'm still enjoying EL. I give in an A while the first gets an A+ lol

Yeah that's exactly it, the bar was too high. I really like the new album but AA >>>>>>>>>>

I had the same "prob" with Santigold :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I like it...the video helps, but like with Bitch Better Have My Money, I like, but it's not my style I hate that over used beat. But I hope this takes off for her, I love that each era she seems to be getting more popular, to me since she & Bruno & Miguel are VERY similar artists I'd really love it if they dominated mainstream, and I LOVE that it's happening for Bruno more & more, but I really want it for Janelle too. I also like that the 3 of them are friends and supporters of each other, to me they're truly 3 of the best this generation

I do like Yoga's lyrics and appreciate she's trying new things though. It just doesn't grab me like "Tightrope." (Not that I want exact replicas of said song lol) That's why I love her though, she makes music exciting and I look forward to her next move. Looking forward to Miguel's next project as well. I admittedly grew a little tired of "Uptown Funk" but as I said... it's still one of the better current songs out. B)

I do like Yoga's lyrics and appreciate she's trying new things though. It just doesn't grab me like "Tightrope." (Not that I want exact replicas of said song lol) That's why I love her though, she makes music exciting and I look forward to her next move. Looking forward to Miguel's next project as well. I admittedly grew a little tired of "Uptown Funk" but as I said... it's still one of the better current songs out. B)

Oh yea definitely, and it's 1 of the things I admire about that trio of artists, with all 3 you REALLY can't predict what their next moves or sounds per-se will be, they're going to expand and try different things out, and this is her doing that, so for that move I say go for it. And YES, Tightrope (and Many Moons actually) got me to notice and even appreciate her, but Dance Apocalyptic made me LOVVVVVVVVVVVE her and made me really excited for her last album and want to dive into her old stuff (and it's not just cause my sister danced with her LOL that song slays). I'm excited for Miguel's next move after he got GREAT image promo last era with Mariah and performances & what not. Yea Uptown still gives me life, allllllllllll these months & weeks strong, but that's what a funky fun great timeless song'll do for me, like don't play it 15 times in a row, but I can take hearing it 15 days in a row (I counted...I did...and I still jam to it LOFL), but I'm WAY curious to what his 3rd albums gonna be like & sound like, and I'm way happy Mark Ronsons gonna be apart of it, Bruno works best with him to me, like he's a creative beast on his own, but I can't deny that Locked Out Of Heaven, Treasure, Gorilla, Uptown Funk (ofcourse) and my fave Bruno Mars song of all time Moonshine were all worked on with Ronson, so I'm expecting more magic & slayage

I want Bruno & Janelle to do at least 2 songs together, 1 balled & 1 dance song, I KNOWWWWWW if they were on the same track it'd be GOLD!!

Oh yea definitely, and it's 1 of the things I admire about that trio of artists, with all 3 you REALLY can't predict what their next moves or sounds per-se will be, they're going to expand and try different things out, and this is her doing that, so for that move I say go for it. And YES, Tightrope (and Many Moons actually) got me to notice and even appreciate her, but Dance Apocalyptic made me LOVVVVVVVVVVVE her and made me really excited for her last album and want to dive into her old stuff (and it's not just cause my sister danced with her LOL that song slays). I'm excited for Miguel's next move after he got GREAT image promo last era with Mariah and performances & what not. Yea Uptown still gives me life, allllllllllll these months & weeks strong, but that's what a funky fun great timeless song'll do for me, like don't play it 15 times in a row, but I can take hearing it 15 days in a row (I counted...I did...and I still jam to it LOFL), but I'm WAY curious to what his 3rd albums gonna be like & sound like, and I'm way happy Mark Ronsons gonna be apart of it, Bruno works best with him to me, like he's a creative beast on his own, but I can't deny that Locked Out Of Heaven, Treasure, Gorilla, Uptown Funk (ofcourse) and my fave Bruno Mars song of all time Moonshine were all worked on with Ronson, so I'm expecting more magic & slayage

I want Bruno & Janelle to do at least 2 songs together, 1 balled & 1 dance song, I KNOWWWWWW if they were on the same track it'd be GOLD!!

Yep, even the transition from ArchAndroid to Electric Lady... the former is wilder and more afropunk overall while the latter has that retro '70s soul influence. Well both albums have these elements but one leans more in one direction than the other. Basically, I couldn't predict precisely how EL would sound. Yeah "Dance Apocalyptic" was one of the highlights, and it actually does sound like something Bruno might do. They have great chemistry so I'd welcome a collab between them. Same for another Mariah/Miguel collab actually ~ she could return the favor and appear on his next album. They could try a ballad ala "PrimeTime" or something.

And "Locked Outta Heaven," "Treasure," and "Uptown Funk" happen to be my favorite Bruno Mars songs, so I'd agree there! I liked the rest of album Mark Ronson's too.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...