What do you consider a "long time" in music?

EphraimAdamz

How long before a song is old to you?

I give it 2 years.

How do you define relevancy for a time period? For example:

Biggie Smalls will always be relevant to Hip-Hop music due to his impact and accomplishments, he's just not popular currently (even though he prob is lol)

So another example... would you find Ciara to be relevant to RnB as a whole, or just during her peak in popularity?

2 years

I determine relevancy by how often their names are brought up in a positive light for their work, or inspirations, or from samples

ehhhhhhhhhhh I don't consider Ciara relevant anywhere. She's not getting sampled and I don't hear her name being brought up in a positive light because of her work.

Hell her giving birth wasn't even worldwide news...

• Upvote 1

A song that released 15 years ago is a throwback.

Relevancy depends on one's visibility and reception in the mainstream. For example: Jennifer Lopez is a constant fixture in entertainment, which makes her a relevant public figure. But her music isn't being received well as of late, which is decreasing her relevancy in music.

Doesn't her singles do well? I Dnt follow her shit these dayz to know..but I know I've seen this board talk about her songs w Pitbull doin good or something..

Her one song with, of course, Pit Bull last summer did well.. #3.. 3x platinum in US... She's had 3 top 20s (including On The Floor) in the past 10 years..

So no.. Her singles don't do well unless Pitbull is in them bc he's featured in 2/3 hit songs

Looking at her discography a little harder.. her top selling album sold 3 million US (2001's jLo)

Well I knew "J.Lo" was her best selling album cuz that's around the time where she was at the height of her popularity. #1 album and #1 movie the same week. But back then she had good ww sales..she wasn't juss local. I think her debut sold 7 mill ww or something like that...and j.lo did even better ww, I believe

Well I knew "J.Lo" was her best selling album cuz that's around the time where she was at the height of her popularity. #1 album and #1 movie the same week. But back then she had good ww sales..she wasn't juss local. I think her debut sold 7 mill ww or something like that...and j.lo did even better ww, I believe

It pulled in 12M WW... which is impressive.. but then she fell off from there when she was "Reborn".. Pitbull really did help her sell singles/albums

She's never really had anything to talk about :lol: its not like she did concept albums. Her shit was selling cuz she would work the hell out of an old school sample..remake it..and it would be hott. That was her winning ticket..her using a sample for 70% of her singles. Mariah was on the sampling train for a long time herself. :umm: the easy way to get #1s

She's never really had anything to talk about :lol: its not like she did concept albums. Her shit was selling cuz she would work the hell out of an old school sample..remake it..and it would be hott. That was her winning ticket..her using a sample for 70% of her singles. Mariah was on the sampling train for a long time herself. :umm: the easy way to get #1s

Literally, all the singles from the "This is Me... Then" Phase are sampled :asham: