Slant: The 25 Best Janet Jackson Songs

kaeh1213

“You”

The Velvet Rope's dark brilliance reveals itself with age. Yours, that is. What sounded, at least to my adolescent ears in 1997, like a daring endorsement of no-limits sexuality eventually accrued the weight of clinical depression with each passing year. Then and now, “You” spoke to me. At the time, Janet's counsel to drop the lies and live with love sounded like a tough-love call to step out of the closet, little gay boy. Now, it's impossible to get past the way-harsh-Tai sentiments “Bitter you'll be if you don't change your ways/When you hate you, you hate everyone that day” and “You can't blame nobody but you.” Hederson

Only #19? :umm: This is lyrically her best song to date, and it's not even top 10? 

“Lonely”

Throughout Janet's imperial phase, the template called for each of her albums to close out with a suite of love ballads. Skippable as any of them may have seemed when all you wanted to do was follow Janet's own mantra “Get the point? Good, let's dance,” the best of them—like this sultry, intimate invitation from one isolated soul to another—expose themselves at the most unexpected moments. Just like sex.Henderson

It is nice to see that someone has finally recognized this song. I feel like it's an afterthought amongst other ballads (LWA, Again, WAYN, CBTM). Oddly, it's her best ballad to date. 

Overall this list is actually pretty good minus a few obvious omissions (WAYN, LWA, FHTF, WA, and a few others), and the order could use some rearranging. But it is nice to see this person obviously did their homework and didn't just pick the obvious single choices and run with them. Foolish of Slant to forget the turn-of-the-century classic "Come Give Your Love To Me" and the iconic "Don't Mess Up This Good Thing". :rolleyes: 

• Upvote 1

Someone on YouTube said Janet performed "Lonely" on the R.N. tour.....I was about to go in and say "boy you are wrong".  But I'm just going to let him believe he heard Janet sing this live.  This song kills......it's her best in my book.  Don't know why this wasn't a single or why she never did perform it live.  I mean they released 7 songs off the album...Janet was able to get away with anything at that time.  They played "State Of The World" on the radio and it hit number 5 alone on the Airplay charts......would it have killed them to release this song or make a video for it!  I remember they would play this song on The Quiet Storm as well as on the Art Laboe show even though it wasn't an oldie.  People knew what was up when it came to the entire R.N. album.  They would also play The Knowledge on the radio for God's sake.  No one will ever repeat the reception this album got from 89-91! It was a phenom!  

Janet could have released "Living In A World They Didn't Make" and she would have got away with it.  It bordered cheese but it was a good brie and the video could have been epic. The Storm also played "Someday Is Tonight".....damn damn damn.  What an era! 

Someone on YouTube said Janet performed "Lonely" on the R.N. tour.....I was about to go in and say "boy you are wrong".  But I'm just going to let him believe he heard Janet sing this live.  This song kills......it's her best in my book.  Don't know why this wasn't a single or why she never did perform it live.  I mean they released 7 songs off the album...Janet was able to get away with anything at that time.  They played "State Of The World" on the radio and it hit number 5 alone on the Airplay charts......would it have killed them to release this song or make a video for it!  I remember they would play this song on The Quiet Storm as well as on the Art Laboe show even though it wasn't an oldie.  People knew what was up when it came to the entire R.N. album.  They would also play The Knowledge on the radio for God's sake.  No one will ever repeat the reception this album got from 89-91! It was a phenom!  

Janet could have released "Living In A World They Didn't Make" and she would have got away with it.  It bordered cheese but it was a good brie and the video could have been epic. The Storm also played "Someday Is Tonight".....damn damn damn.  What an era! 

preach!!!!

I will FOREVER STAN for "Lonely" .. def her best ballad, possibly her best period IMO 

• Upvote 1