Unbreakable VS The Velvet Rope

janetDAYZ

TVR gets the win for me too. That album was insight to Janet's pure genius for me. From a personal perspective. To me, "You" being about dealing with yourself & looking yourself in the mirror...THEN using the mirrored concept to spell the word Conscience backwards?!?!????! 

My God that entire thought process, so dope & deep. I don't think that gets enough study amongst fans. I actually hate You was a tour video. It should have been Janet battling Janet. & her writing  E-C-N-E-I-C-N-O-C on the mirror. 

Cant B Stopped, Anything, VR (entire concept), Empty & Full interlude, just the whole fucking album  

BUT Unbreakable is knocking at the door. Dream Maker, Black Eagle, UB, Lessons Learned, Well Traveled, Daamn Baby, Night, Promise of You, Love U 4 Life epic! And I know I forgot one or two. TGF is a song I like, lyrically...but sometimes have to be in the mood for. AYF is deep & I love how deep she went, but it doesn't get much play. 

I too am also mad that "You" was just a tour video. I think that if it had used the face masks and costumes she used during its performance and then elevated it for a music video, "You" would be one of her more iconic songs. The whole production on that song is just great too

• Upvote 1

To me you can't compar both album, tvr is special from a to z ... it's a very deep album. 

Unbreakable is very good too but not on the same game. The energy is not powerful as tvr,

I personally skip some songs  (shoulda know better, after you fall, 2be loved , dream maker )

You've got to be fucking kidding me! 

Honestly Jodi I'm only here to speak the facts. TVR is very overrated in the church fan community. RN1814 > . UB is better than AFY, hands down, but not by too much. Both albums are on the heels of janet..... in quality, more so UB than AFY. That said,  TVR is Janet's second best album, and to think UB can compete lyrically or production wise? Nah pimp. 

• Upvote 1

I've always thought that the Janet album was too overrated.....I love half the album but the rest fillers.  The era was bigger than the album I think as Janet also did a movie and unleashed a whole new look to us. 

For me it will always be R.N. as her best lyrically, production and era wise. 

2nd would be The Velvet Rope, followed by 3 Unbreakable, 4 Control, 5 Janet, 6 AFY, 7 Damita Jo, 8 20 Y.O and then 9 Discipline. 

• Upvote 1

Unbreakble is definitely a better album than janet. Infant All for you is a better album than janet. in my opinion. all for you gets such a hard time, yet there are so many good songs on it and an album that introduced janet to a lot of new fans.

AS for TVR, well I think TVR will always win because it just has so much depth and substance 

• Upvote 2

I think it's easier for me to listen to Unbreakable beginning to end a lot more than the Velvet Rope which I only listen to a couple of times a year. I think the Velvet Rope is the better album tho because of the theme tying it together and how innovative it was for a pop artist of her standard to be so introspective and vulnerable. She talks about depression, accepting and loving yourself,self-criticism, normalizing same sex relations Free Xone), black pride(Can't Be Stopped), domestic abuse, etc. The Velvet Rope is a lot heavier album than Unbreakable. 

I think the two are connected tho and some have said Unbreakable is sort of the light side of TVR after finding that sense of self/purpose and being so far away from the darkness and depression. 

I think Unbreakable is Janet's most spiritual album and she manages it to do it in a non-preachy way. Black Eagle instantly become one of my faves in her catalog from the way she mentions Palestine(room no 4, "beautiful people who have been ignored") to the mantra I've adopted "you'll never know unless you've been there" Also the TGF is peak passive agressive Janet where she's dragging you but also wishing that you find happiness and the great forever. I think TGF also speaks to the place she's in now "watch what I'm doing, watch where I'm going" some speculate on her religion which is her business but I think she has made some changes for the better. I don't think it's a coincidence that Wissam mentioned the Great Forever on his website in his love note to her. 

I also like the sounds of both albums. TVR still sounds so fresh and the Unbreakable impresses me with the willingness to explore folk and worldly sounds.

I think both albums are what we missed between 04-15 and that's introspection. With Janet, Velvet Rope Janet was able to give us sex but also perspective on her life and also social commentary in the world(New Agenda, Can't Be Stopped, etc) and I think people are connecting to it being less fluff.

• Upvote 3

janet is in the same league as RN and TVR to you???????????

Absolutely!!!!!!!!! It's my favorite and most-listened-to album from anyone, as well as the very reason I became a fan. I never tire of playing it no matter how much I listen, I love the diversity - not one song sounds like another yet I'd say it holds together, and the songs are among the best she's ever made. Even my least favorite song, I still enjoy more than least favorites on other albums. RN1814 and TVR are still classics, but I really go hard for the janet. album.

See that was my Holy Trinity for almost 10 years....before Unbreakable pushed TVR out. And from what I've seen janet. is in most Janfan's holy trinity as it should be.

UB wins it for me, janet. be trying to come for it now that it's months later, but no UB just owns my life right now.

Cool, one thing I really love about her albums is that they're more than just a collection of good songs, they're an experience - like a journey with her, and this definitely includes UB.

janet./RN1814/TVR remained my ultimate trinity for +15 years and to me they're just perfection and impossible for any album to outdo, so I think UB rising to become my 4th favorite is an excellent outcome to me.

• Upvote 2

Next to Rhythm Nation, Unbreakable is her most cohesive album. The songs flow right into the next transitioning beautifully track after track in a way I've never experience on any other artist album. Unbreakable, truly a work of art for that she should be proud. 

• Upvote 3

I've always thought that the Janet album was too overrated.....I love half the album but the rest fillers.  The era was bigger than the album I think as Janet also did a movie and unleashed a whole new look to us. 

For me it will always be R.N. as her best lyrically, production and era wise. 

2nd would be The Velvet Rope, followed by 3 Unbreakable, 4 Control, 5 Janet, 6 AFY, 7 Damita Jo, 8 20 Y.O and then 9 Discipline. 

wow it's like you jumped into my brain, copied my thoughts and then took them as your own.. I agree with every single word in this post! ??

• Upvote 1