Unbreakable VS The Velvet Rope

janetDAYZ

TVR covers a lot more ground then UN to me. Everything about that album feels timeless.

Together again is the only track that i'd trade with one of the UN and that's only cuz the version we have on TVR is the original and not one of the remixes. Everything else is a do not touch. 

Confession time: I hardly ever play the second half of UN, after night i only play Lessons Learned, Well Traveled and sometimes Take Me Away and Black Eagle. I still don't understand the 2 b loved appeal. I'd trade that track for Promise Of You or Love U 4 Life in a heartbeat. 

• Upvote 1

I give it to tvr. Unbreakable is up there, though. It's fighting rn1814 as my #2. I like 2 b loved. I think it's a generic pop song. If it were a younger artist, it'd probably be a top 10 hit. I think it fits on the album, but it does sound more like an a4u album cousin  than a vr cousin.

My vote is for TVR though..although UnSLAYable is coming for ha wig. It's amazing that Janet can still create a cohesive body of work that's relatable to the present and the future.

"The Great Forever", "Well Traveled", and "Dream Slayer/Euphoria"

peBKaQq_zpsfxrubrlx.gif

• Upvote 2

Love both, but The Velvet Rope still my favorite.
Why? Cause it has a deeper concept. A concept that was explored til the end. Videos, looks, tour... Everything was connected. Everything had a reason to be.

And I get what Janet wanted to say with Unbreakable, it's message, the lyrics... But I don't see her exploring or explaining it anywhere else. And I miss that!

The show is great, very entertaining, she looks fine but there's no story, no background added to the experience. That's why the All For You Tour is my least favorite... Just a random bunch of songs performed on a empty stage. Whileon the RN, janet, Velvet and Rock Witchu she was trying to say something, to tell us something. From her outfits to the interludes and song selection... You see a path, a narrative.

There's no narrative on Unbreakable (show/project as a whole) :(

Edited by feehgarcia
  • Upvote 4

They're close in spirit and I love Unbreakable, truly, but it doesn't hold a candle to The Velvet Rope.

Same. Unbreakable is a great album, and one of my favourite releases of 2015, but the holy trinity of The Velvet RopeRN1814 & janet. are in a different league IMO.

• Upvote 4

janet is in the same league as RN and TVR to you???????????

It's in the same league, but I would rank it third behind the other two. It's a classic album, jam packed with hits and some amazing album tracks. Sometimes I even prefer it to RN, depending on my mood.

TVR is always #1 though. ?

Same. Unbreakable is a great album, and one of my favourite releases of 2015, but the holy trinity of The Velvet RopeRN1814 & janet. are in a different league IMO.

See that was my Holy Trinity for almost 10 years....before Unbreakable pushed TVR out. And from what I've seen janet. is in most Janfan's holy trinity as it should be.

UB wins it for me, janet. be trying to come for it now that it's months later, but no UB just owns my life right now.

Edited by jarrylf

You've got to be fucking kidding me! 

she went there *sucks teeth* UB I think is probably one of her most solid efforts ever...and where on Earth do they get off with TVR being overrated? I've NEVER heard that, if anything it ranks as one of her top albums ever done

TVR gets the win for me too. That album was insight to Janet's pure genius for me. From a personal perspective. To me, "You" being about dealing with yourself & looking yourself in the mirror...THEN using the mirrored concept to spell the word Conscience backwards?!?!????! 

My God that entire thought process, so dope & deep. I don't think that gets enough study amongst fans. I actually hate You was a tour video. It should have been Janet battling Janet. & her writing  E-C-N-E-I-C-N-O-C on the mirror. 

Cant B Stopped, Anything, VR (entire concept), Empty & Full interlude, just the whole fucking album  

BUT Unbreakable is knocking at the door. Dream Maker, Black Eagle, UB, Lessons Learned, Well Traveled, Daamn Baby, Night, Promise of You, Love U 4 Life epic! And I know I forgot one or two. TGF is a song I like, lyrically...but sometimes have to be in the mood for. AYF is deep & I love how deep she went, but it doesn't get much play. 

Edited by FreelovesJJ
  • Upvote 3