I've always wondered...

janetDAYZ

I just can’t see it because of how short the set list would have been. I can’t see her performing songs from the first two albums. But then in the 80s was it normal to tour with a short setlist? Theatres would be been cute I guess as a sort of “introduction”. A “I’m Janet let me show you what I can do” word of mouth type thing. Not a full blown out tour but like a small little House of Blues one night special kind of show with like 5/6 dates where it was all word of mouth. Kind of like how new artists do it today. 

I feel like the control tour would have been successful in the US but not that much globally. Touring during Rhythm Nation was perfect. Her cards/planets were aligned and it became the cultural moment it became in a way it might not have had there been a Control tour. 

• Upvote 1

She had previous albums but it wouldn't have made any sense to perform them at that point in her life cause Control was all about letting all that go... Father's control, others tellin what to do etc..can u imagine: 'yea im independent and in control now but imma still gonna sing a few songs from the last two albums that my daddy made me do' lol :D Not gonna happen

It would have worked only if she only sang songs from control

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, MasiMama84 said:

She had previous albums but it wouldn't have made any sense to perform them at that point in her life cause Control was all about letting all that go... Father's control, others tellin what to do etc..can u imagine: 'yea im independent and in control now but imma still gonna sing a few songs from the last two albums that my daddy made me do' lol :D Not gonna happen

That’s not true

Young Love 

Say You Do

Dont Mesa Up This Good Thing 

if It Takes All Night 

Dream Street

you’ll never find 

On 10/14/2019 at 6:17 AM, MasiMama84 said:

Exactly. A control tour with the previous albums wouldn't have been a good idea. Janet herself said she wanted to wait until she had more material. This was a smart business move on her part, as it added to the demand to see her live. 

• Upvote 1