Who is the more VERSATILE producer/performer?

LyricalLesson

THE BIG 3  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the more versatile producer/performer?

• Timbaland
    • Pharrell Williams/N.E.R.D. (of The Neptunes)
    • Dr. Dre

Timbaland, Pharrell/N.E.R.D., & Dr. Dre have all had successful transitions from behind the scenes (producer) to star. All 3 have been excellent and very well sought after producers for approaching 2 decades. But who in your opinion is the more talented performer (singer/rapper) ???

Timbaland was disqualified when the word "versitile" entered the sentence.....i'd say Pharrell/Neptunes...early one they were very one dimensional, but they have broadened their sound over the last couple of years

cuz we all know he is a big ass bottom!

Pharrell and The Neptunes were always very experimental with their sound (one of the reasons why i want Janet to work with them) just listen to Kaleidoscope and Wanderland by Kelis for example . At their popularity peak they were working with everybody and had to make hits. Their sound was IN so they had to be more commercial specially when working with the likes of Britney.

As soon as they started to lose steam they started to mix it up alot more. Even Gwen's albums despite being pop have a experimental feel here and there

Timbaland is my favorite producer. As of late, I'm diggin the Neptunes more and more. They are more experimental at this point.

And I hate to say it, but they also outshined Timbaland on Magdalene's "Hard Candy".

Pharrell's tracks on HARD CANDY cd shits all over Timberland tracks-including "4 Minutes" imo :yep:

I have to go with the Pharrell/N.E.R.D also. I love ALL 3 as producers, and I dig a bunch of the 3's music. But N.E.R.D's music is brilliant. They are the true definition of creativity and artistry. I have grown very fond of Pharrell's vocal ability, especially on N.E.R.D's best/biggest sounding song "Love Bomb" which happens to be one of my 10 favorite songs of all time. Pharrell's solo music has impressed me at times also. He's proven that he doesn't need a gang of features to carry an album filled with top notch content and great beats and live instrumentation.

Pharrell/Neptunes it is :excited:

Pharrell and The Neptunes were always very experimental with their sound (one of the reasons why i want Janet to work with them) just listen to Kaleidoscope and Wanderland by Kelis for example . At their popularity peak they were working with everybody and had to make hits. Their sound was IN so they had to be more commercial specially when working with the likes of Britney.

As soon as they started to lose steam they started to mix it up alot more. Even Gwen's albums despite being pop have a experimental feel here and there

+1

I agree with EVERYTHING said here :w00t:

They weren't at the beginning of their careers. I always thought they were biting Timbaland's sound. But, they started experimenting and became huge. I particularly loved their last album because they experimented alot with that album.

I'm gonna stan for a minute because without hesitation my vote goes whole-heartedly to Pharrell/The Neptunes. There was a period when they were blowing up around '02-'03 where all their stuff sounded the same, but since then they've come leaps and bounds. Their work on Kaleidoscope is what made me really take notice of producers and the tricks they could pull. Their collaborations never seem forced (unlike Timbaland these days) and they get brownie points for using live instrumentation in a lot of their productions. Plus, if we're talking versatility then I don't see how it could go to Timbaland or Dr. Dre. Listen to the raw blaxploitation of Beyoncé's 'Work It Out' or N*E*R*D's 'Lapdance' and compare it to the minimalistic sheen of Snoop Dogg's 'Drop It Like It's Hot' or Gwen Stefani's 'Hollaback Girl' - and that's only the tip of the iceberg. I could drop another 50 Neptunes productions as different from each other as the next. That's versatility.

Archived