Santa Barbra Tour review kneels down to Janhova!

Twistedvelvet

(COUGH) Scroll to the bottom (cough)

Janet Jackson in top form heading into L.A. shows

By BEN WENER

THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

There is thankfully much more to celebrate about Janet Jackson’s new Number Ones: Up Close and Personal Tour than there are reasons to nitpick it. After decades of over-the-top arena productions that almost always put spectacle ahead of musical performance, here at last is an alternative, a model for the mature pop or R&B diva. Fittingly, it’s the exact opposite of what you get these days from Lady Gaga or Katy Perry.

Sometimes simpler is better -- and it’s especially preferable from Jackson, now 44, whose previous tours grew so grandiose that they tended to dwarf an already diminutive and slight-voiced icon. Back then it seemed she was out to prove her worth and (later) solidify her stature by concocting lavish attractions tricked out with salacious twists and stunning dance routines -- and very little actual singing. Yet so often those shows paled next to conceptual dazzlers from Madonna or the jolting excitement her brother Michael could stir up. By comparison, her set pieces haven’t stuck in the mind quite as indelibly over the years.

This 35-city outing, which just packed in crowds for two nights this past weekend at Santa Barbara Bowl and arrives later this week for three sold-out shows at Gibson Amphitheatre, is much closer to unforgettable -- largely because, for a change, it displays the diva as-is, naturally glamorous even when she isn't trying to be yet more approachable than ever. Even though she said little beyond "I can't hear you, S.B." and introductions of her band and dancers, she still came across like a friendly neighbor who just happens to be one of the biggest pop stars in the universe.

Saturday at the Bowl she even dressed down for the occasion, looking like she’d stepped out of a bar in the early ’90s, albeit with a Rihanna haircut. What’s more, Jackson stayed in her tight black jeans, tighter black tank top and white denim jacket for the entire performance, although that made three mid-show interludes something of a head-scratcher. I know she probably needs to towel off and catch her breath, but she certainly had time enough to switch shirts. Wonder if she’ll also stay in whatever getups she wears in L.A., given that different markets have seen different guises (the leathery space-age one above is from Grand Prairie, Texas, at the start of the month).

But, again, that’s a minor quibble, as is the fact that only one of those break-fillers was worth any attention – the first, that is, illustrating her evolution as an actress via four clips, from bits on Good Times and Diff’rent Strokes (in a kinda awkward make-out moment with Todd Bridges) to memorable scenes in Poetic Justice and Why Did I Get Married Too? The other gaps were covered with a photo montage of Janet through the recent past and a jam from her five-man band, complemented by three backing singers who ably bolstered their boss whenever her vocals were less than robust. In all cases, however, those pauses were mostly useful for checking text messages or racing to restrooms.

My larger complaint is that the show is too compact, especially for the price; at the Bowl she was on by 8:15 and wrapping up by 9:30. She managed to cram in 24 of her 35 smash singles in that time, a figure that gathers not just Hot 100 chart-toppers but No. 1’s on the dance and R&B countdowns. Yet all of them were stuffed into medleys, and too many songs (“When I Think of You” and “Scream” most noticeably) were shortened to merely a verse and chorus, plus a side of choreography.

Some tracks were barely touched on at all, disappearing as fast as they surfaced. Her encore, for instance, blitzed through “Diamonds,” “The Best Things in Life Are Free” and what could have been an invigorating disco charge from the newer tune “Make Me” before settling into a fuller feel-good version of “Together Again.” She’s in such fine form right now, happily beaming at being in front of her fans again, that it surely wouldn’t tax her stamina to flesh out a few more favorites -- or simply include more of them. Missing from her set lists so far are, among others, “Got ’til It’s Gone,” “Black Cat,” “Runaway,” “I Get Lonely,” “All for You” and, unless I blinked and missed it, “All Nite (Don’t Stop).”

And still I greatly enjoyed and would highly recommend Jackson’s latest package for what it is: fleetly paced, scaled-back, relatively intimate entertainment with the zesty fun of a Vegas showroom revue.

The program divides evenly into fifths. There’s an opening salvo that starts back where things really began to take off for her a quarter-century ago, with permanently infectious singles from her breakthrough album Control. That’s followed by a seated ballad portion, during which I was reminded of how much she learned/stole from Michael’s slower ones, how sweetly soulful her strongest songs remain and how sadly absent her sound (notably in cuts like “Come Back to Me” and “Let’s Wait Awhile”) has become on mainstream radio.

The remaining medleys for the main set steadily ramp up the groove, leading from the sunshine joy of “Escapade” to naughty bits for “If” (she’s still not above getting her dancers, male or female, in compromising positions) and finally to the martial jam of “Rhythm Nation,” a clarion call for unity that’s just as rousing as it was when that chant began at the end of the '80s.

Here it was like an alarm clock -- indeed, if this tour achieves anything, it’s to shake both star and fans out of their collective doldrums. As sales of her increasingly bland and recycled albums this past decade have waned, so has interest in what Jackson is still capable of achieving. (On record, I mean; her acting has heightened in direct relation to the decline of her musical creativity.)

To an overstated degree in recent years, she’s been little more than the woman who gave a thousand comedians instantly stale punchlines about wardrobe malfunctions. This straightforward but effective production goes a long way toward restoring Janet Jackson’s reputation as one of the finest female pop superstars of the modern era. As a total package she’s still leagues ahead of perennially popular Britney Spears and suddenly stalled Christina Aguilera. Hook her up with the right material and some choice producers and she could dominate all over again.

In the meantime, she’s coming back brilliantly, reasserting herself on stage in the most important way: by singing.

At no point did she lip-sync in Santa Barbara. Anyone doubting that -- those without ears enough to hear the newly rounded tone she brought to her old melodies -- should have at least noticed how her handclaps could be picked up via her headset microphone.

This is the exact opposite of the Janet from a decade or more ago, the one who was too busy strutting her stuff to be bothered to do more than mouth lyrics. True, she’ll never have what anyone would brand powerful pipes -- but the whispery float of her voice has always been much of its charm. Can she still get drowned out by a bad, bass-heavy mix? Sure. But for once her voice alone is reason to sit up and take notice. This far into a titanic career, that’s quite an achievement.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

AMEN! :yahoo::yahoo:

:coffee:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lmao she's still not singing live but I'm glad she's duping people into thinking she is. :)

We don't know that for certain. You can't just say it like its fact. It's not obvious.

Whatever 'help' she's got, she's still got her mic on all the way through out. She could be adlibbing on top of the backing singers etc. You, we don't know. For a dancer that's good enough to be 'live'. SO please don't just make out she mimes like a Britney.

We don't know that for certain. You can't just say it like its fact. It's not obvious.

Whatever 'help' she's got, she's still got her mic on all the way through out. She could be adlibbing on top of the backing singers etc. You, we don't know. For a dancer that's good enough to be 'live'. SO please don't just make out she mimes like a Britney.

exactly

PREACH TWISTED PREACH !!!!!!!

:yahoo: :yahoo:

lmao she's still not singing live but I'm glad she's duping people into thinking she is. :)

lol she has not sung live for a minute now. I was not at this show so I cannot critique but. It was not live at my show but I still enjoyed it. She has amazing back tracks that full the hell out of people.

I'm sorry did you attend the show I went to?

:wacko:

Her vocals from each show sounds exactly the same and your show is no different. :umm: All you need to do is listen to how her voice sounds when she "sings" and how it sounds when she gives little shoutouts like "Let me hear you!", "Hi", etc. Her voice is way deeper and raspier.

:wacko:

Her vocals from each show sounds exactly the same and your show is no different. :umm: All you need to do is listen to how her voice sounds when she "sings" and how it sounds when she gives little shoutouts like "Let me hear you!", "Hi", etc. Her voice is way deeper and raspier.

*looks to see where I said she song completely different at the show I attended* What I said was that she sung a few verses in some songs live, which she did. And I hope you do know that verses aren't the "hype-man" screams :filenails: It was clear when she did live vocals and when she was lipping. Get over it.

*looks to see where I said she song completely different at the show I attended* What I said was that she sung a few verses in some songs live, which she did. And I hope you do know that verses aren't the "hype-man" screams :filenails: It was clear when she did live vocals and when she was lipping. Get over it.

I know what you mean by verses "Do you want more? Do you want this?", WHDFML bit, etc. but the rest of the show is lipped to the T. BTW, none of "Alright" is live. :wacko:

and you get over it.

I know what you mean by verses "Do you want more? Do you want this?", WHDFML bit, etc. but the rest of the show is lipped to the T. BTW, none of "Alright" is live. :wacko:

and you get over it.

What I said about her being live in some verses and you needing to get over it still stands. But if it helps you get over it, you can keep posting about how the whole thing was lipped minus the "hype-man" screams you love to only focus on :wave:

What I said about her being live in some verses and you needing to get over it still stands. But if it helps you get over it, you can keep posting about how the whole thing was lipped minus the "hype-man" screams you love to only focus on :wave:

So delusional. Probably even thinks the ballad section is live. :wacko:

Archived