Chicago man finds 17k in cash on street

Bailey

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110609/ap_on_fe_st/us_odd_found_riches_returned

Chicago-area man returns bag with $17K in cash

ROLLING MEADOWS, Ill. – Robert Adams craved an ice-cold drink after finishing his shift on a sweltering workday, but not having enough money to buy the burrito he also wanted left him with two obvious choices: Stop at the ATM, or find a bag containing more than $17,000 in cash.

"I wanted to get a large horchata, which is almost like a rice or coconut milk," Adams told the Daily Herald (Arlington Heights) for a story published Wednesday. "I would have grabbed a chorizo burrito, too, but I didn't have enough money."

That changed Monday when the Chicago-area man stood at a Chase ATM in Rolling Meadows, looked down and discovered on the sidewalk near a newspaper box a clear plastic bag containing receipts, checks and $17,021 in cash — mostly $20 and $100 bills bound by a rubber band.

"I see this plastic bag. It's clear plastic and it's half full of money," Adams said. "I figure this is a joke. Somebody took some napkins and made it look like money. This has to be a setup. People are going to look at me and start laughing."

Adams said he never had the urge to keep any of the money.

"It's not my money. I shouldn't take it. I don't care if you put another zero on there, I wasn't raised to take money that isn't mine," said Adams, a 54-year-old single man who lives in Arlington Heights and credits his deceased parents for teaching him right from wrong. "If I saw you drop it, I'd say, `Excuse me, sir. I think you dropped something.'"

The word "Chase" was printed on the bag, so Adams carried it inside the nearby branch.

"I walk up to the teller and say, `I think you might have left this outside,'" said Adams, figuring an employee left it behind after restocking the ATM. But employees told him the machine is filled from inside and the money didn't belong to the bank.

Adams then called police, who along with bank officials later determined the money was meant for an ATM in Midlothian and had been under the care of Loomis, an armored truck company. Rolling Meadows police took the money to the station, where it was picked up by a Loomis official.

Loomis officials said they were investigating, but have not said whether Adams will get a reward.

"I really don't know what happens with this situation," Adams said.

Onesimo Santillan, owner of the Senor Taco restaurant where Adams originally was headed to indulge his cravings, said the actions of his longtime customer don't surprise him.

"He has been coming in for years, always orders the same thing, very nice guy," Santillan said. "It's hard to find people like that, honest people."

Rolling Meadows Police Chief Dave Scanlan said Adams did good: "We all said right away that this guy deserves something — credit for being an Honest Abe."

I would have kept the money.

I don't know that's someone's job, who probably lost it still. Problem folks don't talk about is a few things:

1. Loomis is insured against lost, that 17k was nothing more than a phone call and a claim made.

2. The person that lost the money probably still lost his/her job.

3. I know there are a lot of stories out there where folks find money and don't tell nobody, but you don't hear about that now do you? :whistle:

.com

janet9887.gif

I don't know that's someone's job, who probably lost it still. Problem folks don't talk about is a few things:

1. Loomis is insured against lost, that 17k was nothing more than a phone call and a claim made.

2. The person that lost the money probably still lost his/her job.

3. I know there are a lot of stories out there where folks find money and don't tell nobody, but you don't hear about that now do you? :whistle:

1. Oh then they won't miss it :)

2. Not my fault :coffee:

3. Of course you don't hear about those stories because they don't tell anyone :crazy:

janet9887.gif

1. Oh then they won't miss it :)

2. Not my fault :coffee:

3. Of course you don't hear about those stories because they don't tell anyone :crazy:

1. you a bitch

2. I hate you bitch

3. this right here -----> third bitch you been called in a single post :filenails:

I woulda kept it and paid some bills and did a little shopping.

on da real he coulda at least opened the bag got him a 20 and got his fucking burrito hell...I don't play when Im hungry :filenails: he could always say well it was open already when i found it, but hey at least you got 17,001 dollars back right :whistle:

I would have kept it considering I need money right now -_-

I remember here in Michigan years back a story about an amoured truck going down the expressway and somehow, the back door was not secure right and it flew open and money started flying out the back, folks on the highway were stopping collecting that shit, and other folks were taking down license plates to narc the others out, the guards were trying to get all the money, it was a hot fucking mess of a story, good read in the paper though :filenails:

1. Yes I am :)

2. Good for you :filenails:

3. This right here -----> third time I don't care about being called a bitch in a single post :coffee:

you is really trying it today, what's wrong honey you aint had yo morning tea :coffee: I can't be responsible for you bitches and ya'll shortcomings -_-

Archived