La Toya Jackson talks Amy Winehouse passing via Twitter

Reyna ♔

Why are you so invested in what 'a Latoya Jackson' is saying of all ppl. I could care less about what that lady is talking about. :lol: But I guess...you all may proceed.

I'm not invested in her, my argument is about appropriateness and manners with those who are disagreeing with me. I'm making a point which is true. People can give latoya a pass if they want to, like I did.

Janet has passed on her condolences to celebs who died and not once did she mention herself or Michael.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a difference in sympathizing with pain and making it all about yourself and one upping. <_<

It'd be different if she were at dinner with the family and kept talking about Michael...

Though I agree that some people do try to one up subtly and it's so tacky and classless, but I don't think that was her intention - she was being sweet. Probably could've done just fine without involving personal relation, but still.

Now like others already said...Gaga, Rick Tits, etc. They did WAY too much..

Y'all giving Queen Toya too much. :sigh: I am sure she was just trying to relate to the Amy situation. She didn't mean any harm. :filenails::rolleyes:

The people complaining are doing too much. All latoya said was she feels her family's pain...there is nothing wrong with that comment. She didn't say too much, it was just enough. I am sure Amy's family is appreciative of all the condolences they are getting, let's not make this something negative.

It is a fact. It is considered bad manners and insensitive to bring yourself into it when congratulating or consoling someone. Just because you are ignorant to it, or you dint agree doesn't mean it isn't true.

When you wish someone a happy birthday do you write about your own birthday in the card? No, because it isn't about you, your feelings, your experience, it's about them.

I repeat...it's not a fact.

I repeat...it's not a fact.

It is a fact as far as any western code of conduct is a fact, just like elbows on the table is bad manners, or not thanking someone for a gift is bad manners, or going into someone's house and rooting through their belongings is bad manners.

It is a fact as far as any western code of conduct is a fact, just like elbows on the table is bad manners

Receipts?

Code of conducts? They're not even written laws. Some people find them rude...others don't. Simple.

Receipts?

Code of conducts? They're not even written laws. Some people find them rude...others don't. Simple.

There is a standard of etiquette which is a code of conduct for different social situations. If you are ignorant to it or choose not to follow it then that us your business but it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Just like there is a correct way to set the table. I might choose to eat with my hands for example but it doesn't mean that a code of conduct doesn't exist.

And just because something isn't law doesn't mean it isn't factual so that part of your argument is redundant.

There is a standard of etiquette which is a code of conduct for different social situations. If you are ignorant to it or choose not to follow it then that us your business but it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Just like there is a correct way to set the table. I might choose to eat with my hands for example but it doesn't mean that a code of conduct doesn't exist.

And just because something isn't law doesn't mean it isn't factual so that part of your argument is redundant.

I'm not denying etiquettes exist. What I'm saying is that they DO NOT have to be followed for the simple fact that people have different etiquettes, values....I'm not here for someone hundreds of years ago saying 'at a table you must do this' etc... I eat with my fork in the right and knife in the left hand whereas I know everyone else does it the opposite. That doesn't make me rude or mean that I'm doing too much.

LaToya said she can feel someones pain. I said it too. I can feel Amy's families pain. I've said to folks "I know what they're going through"...There's nothing wrong with that in my book. Surely there's no etiquette surrounding how a person gives condolence imo. People say what THEY think will provide comfort for other people.

It's like saying everybody should walk around speaking the Queens English as if that's the standard that is set...bullshit.

The only time I'll look up and adhere to 'etiquettes' is when going to another country e.g. I know not to shake a Chinese persons hand when greeting them as they bow over there.

So you don't think etiquette is important? You don't think that people pay attention and make judgements about us by the way we conduct ourselves?

Let's say you went for dinner with someone you were trying to impress for whatever reason, You are the smart, handsome, lots of great things, but because you chose to eat with your knife and for in the wrong hand, elbows on the table etc people could and often would make judgements that you were badly raised and your family is of low class. Said person would not be impressed.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but it's what happens.

Just like latoya, she had good intentions, but because she referred to herself and her pain in an initial message of condolence she left herself open to criticism. It's not about her, it's about Amy and her family.

So you don't think etiquette is important? You don't think that people pay attention and make judgements about us by the way we conduct ourselves?

Let's say you went for dinner with someone you were trying to impress for whatever reason, You are the smart, handsome, lots of great things, but because you chose to eat with your knife and for in the wrong hand, elbows on the table etc people could and often would make judgements that you were badly raised and your family is of low class. Said person would not be impressed.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but it's what happens.

Just like latoya, she had good intentions, but because she referred to herself and her pain in an initial message of condolence she left herself open to criticism. It's not about her, it's about Amy and her family.

I wouldn't give a damn. Someone that judges me based on the fact that I eat with the fork in my right because I prefer to eat my food not spill it all over my chin as it would if the fork/spoon were in my other hand doesn't deserve my time or attention.

There's an etiquette that says when you eat your food you should always leave a tiny morsel of food behind. A lot of people leave nothing - I think nothing of it. I'm not caught up in what other people do or say unless they make funny noises (who want's to hear someone slurp soup or tea?) or dumb/hurtful/racist/homophobic remarks.

Archived