Janet talks new album (old article apparently)

Twistedvelvet

Janet Jackson Craves 'Escape' On New Album

(singersroom) -- 

Janet Jackson Craves 'Escape' On New Album

Janet Jackson is coming to terms with the reality of her brother, Michael Jackson's death but, not without a desire to simply escape the complexities of "life after" through music.

Speaking of her as-yet-untitled follow up to 2008s "Discipline," Jackson admits the album will be a bit different from previous efforts, due to reality.

"It’s going to be a little different. The writing is about life experiences," Jackson tells Gotham. "There’s a part of me that’s craving escapism, which is a sense of wanting to keep on moving with my work but also of coming to terms with reality. So I think it will be upbeat and light."

While much of the project remains under wraps, Jackson has enlisted the help of Rodney Jerkins, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. A release date has not been set.

I'm getting a mix between AFY and TVR. Then again, my mind is kind of dark/twisted anyway so that may just be my hope lol

I was thinking the same thing, this sounds like a mix of AFY & TVR, BUT........she kinda lost me when she said "light".....I was kinda hoping for something HEAVY, since we havent had that in a while, and we've had alot of light. BUT, whatev this isnt taking away from my excitement that she's talking about what she's writing already!!!!

I was thinking the same thing, this sounds like a mix of AFY & TVR, BUT........she kinda lost me when she said "light".....I was kinda hoping for something HEAVY, since we havent had that in a while, and we've had alot of light. BUT, whatev this isnt taking away from my excitement that she's talking about what she's writing already!!!!

Right. Especially with the sudden release of TBOBW, I thought we were getting some heavy stuff. The tagline "Escape" seems to give me vibes of like TA and FX while at the same time telling the causes of the need of escape with songs like SOAG, IGL, Every Time, and others. I'm still kinda hoping for that. But you're right, we'll see. I'm still insanely pumped for whatever she gives us ^_^

Right. Especially with the sudden release of TBOBW, I thought we were getting some heavy stuff. The tagline "Escape" seems to give me vibes of like TA and FX while at the same time telling the causes of the need of escape with songs like SOAG, IGL, Every Time, and others. I'm still kinda hoping for that. But you're right, we'll see. I'm still insanely pumped for whatever she gives us ^_^

Yea like I said a while back, Im strongly hoping that the new album is a equal mix of RN-VR and having some of the self-reflecting (Better Days, Truth, SOAG,FSR) quality's of AFY. With all that was just said, sounds like it probably wont have a RN mix to it, but who knows, she has taken albums in different directions then explained before the production.

My big question is......how far is she with all this? Like Id imagine that she's been writing for well over a year, just to get back in the habbit of that (like she said she wants too) but has she gone further? Has she started the harmonies, picking the producers, etc.? LOL Im just very happy over all that we have confirmation that she's gettin ready.

And like v¡rµs mentioned, Im just happy as hell that this albums gonna be personal again, havent had that really since Damita Jo

Yea like I said a while back, Im strongly hoping that the new album is a equal mix of RN-VR and having some of the self-reflecting (Better Days, Truth, SOAG,FSR) quality's of AFY. With all that was just said, sounds like it probably wont have a RN mix to it, but who knows, she has taken albums in different directions then explained before the production.

My big question is......how far is she with all this? Like Id imagine that she's been writing for well over a year, just to get back in the habbit of that (like she said she wants too) but has she gone further? Has she started the harmonies, picking the producers, etc.? LOL Im just very happy over all that we have confirmation that she's gettin ready.

And like v¡rµs mentioned, Im just happy as hell that this albums gonna be personal again, havent had that really since Damita Jo

I was hoping for the same. I figured we needed another RN as far as the world goes and another VR to reconnect with her herself. But true, you really can't pin down exactly what she's gonna do with this being the first she's spoken of it.

Now that is the excellent question. Most artists when it comes to writing the music, I'll use myself as an example though I'm amateur, tend to start with the harmonies first and THEN write the lyrics on top of it. That's how most of us compose our albums, but there are times we reverse that order lol. It's just easier to start with the instrumentals and harmonies first then buckle the lyrics. I say for me it's about 60% to 40%, leaning to instrumental first. The producers are named. She said Rodney Jerkins and Jam&Lewis :thumbup: Agreed.

Absolutely. It'll be good to reconnect with her in that sense.

I was hoping for the same. I figured we needed another RN as far as the world goes and another VR to reconnect with her herself. But true, you really can't pin down exactly what she's gonna do with this being the first she's spoken of it.

Now that is the excellent question. Most artists when it comes to writing the music, I'll use myself as an example though I'm amateur, tend to start with the harmonies first and THEN write the lyrics on top of it. That's how most of us compose our albums, but there are times we reverse that order lol. It's just easier to start with the instrumentals and harmonies first then buckle the lyrics. I say for me it's about 60% to 40%, leaning to instrumental first. The producers are named. She said Rodney Jerkins and Jam&Lewis :thumbup: Agreed.

Absolutely. It'll be good to reconnect with her in that sense.

Oh see I didnt even see the last part of the 1st posting where it listed the producers lol. Ya from the sound of her over the years, it sounds like she dosent have 1 set of directions for all of her writing like it seems sometimes (at least during control, she hasnt talked about doing this much after, but I'd bet she has) itd be off of conversations she's had with jimmy & terry & other songwriters who wrote for her, then its songs wheres shes talked about just coming up with the harmony, then just the lyrics, then you got Black Cat, Whoops now, & Ask for more which were completely done by her.

Your writing process sounds alot like my aunts (she's pretty established in Minnessotta, she's sung back up, wrote & produced some stuff herself).Yea I have a thing for writing songs too, only thing is mine are UBER dirty LOL, wonder where the inspiration for that came?....

Oh see I didnt even see the last part of the 1st posting where it listed the producers lol. Ya from the sound of her over the years, it sounds like she dosent have 1 set of directions for all of her writing like it seems sometimes (at least during control, she hasnt talked about doing this much after, but I'd bet she has) itd be off of conversations she's had with jimmy & terry & other songwriters who wrote for her, then its songs wheres shes talked about just coming up with the harmony, then just the lyrics, then you got Black Cat, Whoops now, & Ask for more which were completely done by her.

Your writing process sounds alot like my aunts (she's pretty established in Minnessotta, she's sung back up, wrote & produced some stuff herself).Yea I have a thing for writing songs too, only thing is mine are UBER dirty LOL, wonder where the inspiration for that came?....

Yeah lol. Definitely. She really seems to be all about the inspiration. Whatever hits her first, she follows that path and sees where it leads to.

Really? Sweet. lol. Oh my LOL. Yeah it's a wonder. My songs are a pretty decent variety. The overall theme for them though is depth. I say at least 85-90% of my songs all have some type of depth to them. Whether it's pretty light and upbeat or songs to embed in your soul, majority of them have depth.

Yeah lol. Definitely. She really seems to be all about the inspiration. Whatever hits her first, she follows that path and sees where it leads to.

Really? Sweet. lol. Oh my LOL. Yeah it's a wonder. My songs are a pretty decent variety. The overall theme for them though is depth. I say at least 85-90% of my songs all have some type of depth to them. Whether it's pretty light and upbeat or songs to embed in your soul, majority of them have depth.

Thats cool, I guess if I really put my thought to it & attention I could write more depth subjects, but its just fun for me to write diry stuff LOL. But I've always been able to rhyme words very easily for the most part, maybe I'll give it a shot 1 day at seriously writing.

I tell you 1 description for a album I can go 10 years without hearing Janet say again, I bet you know what it is............"Classic me with a modern twist"....... I want eithe classic her, or modern her lol. But that concept does work sometimes, like I'd consider Enjoy, Cant Be Good, Take Care, 2nite, I want you, R&B Junkie, All Nite (DS), & a few others (very few) to be good examples of Classic Janet with a modern twist

Thats cool, I guess if I really put my thought to it & attention I could write more depth subjects, but its just fun for me to write diry stuff LOL. But I've always been able to rhyme words very easily for the most part, maybe I'll give it a shot 1 day at seriously writing.

I tell you 1 description for a album I can go 10 years without hearing Janet say again, I bet you know what it is............"Classic me with a modern twist"....... I want eithe classic her, or modern her lol. But that concept does work sometimes, like I'd consider Enjoy, Cant Be Good, Take Care, 2nite, I want you, R&B Junkie, All Nite (DS), & a few others (very few) to be good examples of Classic Janet with a modern twist

Yeah. LOL, yeah the dirty stuff can be fun. It's an extra way of expressing the intensity and the passion. I say give depth a shot. You may love it more.

LOL. So true. The charm of that phrase came and went lol. But then again, you are right twice because those songs are entirely amazing. Still listenable and much better than stuff we get from the new girls. Even many of her peers.

Yeah. LOL, yeah the dirty stuff can be fun. It's an extra way of expressing the intensity and the passion. I say give depth a shot. You may love it more.

LOL. So true. The charm of that phrase came and went lol. But then again, you are right twice because those songs are entirely amazing. Still listenable and much better than stuff we get from the new girls. Even many of her peers.

And see thats why I dont trash Damita Jo, 20 Y.O., or Discipline because tho I know Janet could've done better, 1. I enjoyed them, 2. They were better than alot of albums that came out in 04, 06, & 08. So I dont bash em, well for fun sometimes, but never seriously.

And see thats why I dont trash Damita Jo, 20 Y.O., or Discipline because tho I know Janet could've done better, 1. I enjoyed them, 2. They were better than alot of albums that came out in 04, 06, & 08. So I dont bash em, well for fun sometimes, but never seriously.

Right. Of course there were things we'd have liked for her to have done better, but as you said, it was much better than alot of what was released during that time period. And for her to chart as well as she did even among the blacklisting is an accomplishment even in itself. Even on her off albums, she gave us better than most of the artists releasing at the time. Another reason to mark her as a real legend in the industry.

Archived