The whtiewashing continues

downeaznboi

Again I'm so happy people are standing up for these injustices. Exodus officially is a box office disappointment (its not a full fledged flop yet, but def a disappointment). I felt this way with both The Last Avatar & Dragon Ball. But besides them being absent of Asian leading actors, the scripts were atrocious and major failures, I hope the same for this

I love George Takei. He's so awesome. The Last Airbender and Dragonball: Evolution were so freakin' horrible it's unreal. The former pissed me off the most since it was a show I grew up with and loved. I'm not familiar with Akira, but I hope this petition works out. This mess has got to stop.

• Upvote 1

I love George Takei. He's so awesome. The Last Airbender and Dragonball: Evolution were so freakin' horrible it's unreal. The former pissed me off the most since it was a show I grew up with and loved. I'm not familiar with Akira, but I hope this petition works out. This mess has got to stop.

PREACH MA SISTA lol. I REFUSE to watch Dragon Ball because the trailer alone off lol Based from being a fan  it would be a betrayal to everything I held dear as a kid, and chille the Last Airbender trailer alone told me...LOL But yea I so need this to happen, like why can't they find a young asian male actor and give him & his career that breakout performance! 

please fix title

guess we're blackwashing when we change the race of Annie or something. It's entertainment and should be treated as such. It is not a history course.. It is not to be taken to this extent. To think someone said "how can we make Cleopatra white? Call that Jolie girl!"

Hollywood is about $$$$ not about your feelings.. And the big spenders, the producers, investors, audience isn't looking for exact replicas.. They're looking for entertainment from their boring, dull, lives... And some unknown actor isn't going to recuperate the needed profits

#DevilAdvocateRant

Again I'm so happy people are standing up for these injustices. Exodus officially is a box office disappointment (its not a full fledged flop yet, but def a disappointment).

Exodus didn't hit big bc the youths don't want to see some shitty religion fairytale.. The box office hitters are great actors and movies in nerds' wet dreams

thats not the point, the idea is in a multiculture 21st century  reality, it is foolish to continue to perpetuate the myth of some bony White woman as the ideal beauty standard. Haven't we gotten to a point wherein stories are told with an ounce of authenticity? Oh and "Exodus" is basically on its way to flopping, plagued with the exact same criticisms. Its as if to say if studios marketed films to minoroties it must be some story about us  either being former slaves, or crusaders against racism. All I'm saying is there is so much rich history that isn't tapped to be filmed and thus kept in history, besides Hollywood can't come up with an original idea for shit :coffee: Hollywood is about tapping into what will sell via connecting to its audience, if you're right all people of color should just accept not being featured.

• Upvote 1

thats not the point, the idea is in a multiculture 21st century  reality, it is foolish to continue to perpetuate the myth of some bony White woman as the ideal beauty standard. Haven't we gotten to a point wherein stories are told with an ounce of authenticity? Oh and "Exile" is basically on its way to flopping, plagued with the exact same criticisms. Its as if to say if studios marketed films to minoroties it must be some story about us  either being former slaves, or crusaders against racism. All I'm saying is there is so much rich history that isn't tapped to be filmed and thus kept in history, besides Hollywood can't come up with an original idea for shit :coffee: Hollywood is about tapping into what will sell via connecting to its audience, if you're right all people of color should just accept not being featured.

Reality? Green screens and Biblical movies are now REALITY? I'm sorry.. There is nothing REAL about Hollywood.. So that's where you slipped up

AGAIN.. I reiterate.. It's entertainment and should be treated as such. It is not a history course.. It is not to be taken to this extent.. Enjoy the film or don't.. Protest it? Why?

please fix title

guess we're blackwashing when we change the race of Annie or something. It's entertainment and should be treated as such. It is not a history course.. It is not to be taken to this extent. To think someone said "how can we make Cleopatra white? Call that Jolie girl!"

Hollywood is about $$$$ not about your feelings.. And the big spenders, the producers, investors, audience isn't looking for exact replicas.. They're looking for entertainment from their boring, dull, lives... And some unknown actor isn't going to recuperate the needed profits

#DevilAdvocateRant

Nope, it's not the same with Annie, these characters are JAPANESE...and LIVE IN JAPAN........Annie lives in New York....We've seen this already with Dragon Ball (which STILL took place in Japan if I remember correctly...yet somehow NONE of the main actors were asian...) & Avatar, unless they're bringing the setting to America theres reason for the reaction.

And you're right Entertainment isn't about education, but geographic & physical accuracy do seem to be paid closser attention to in the digital age from my perspective and for the most part.

Exodus didn't hit big bc the youths don't want to see some shitty religion fairytale.. The box office hitters are great actors and movies in nerds' wet dreams

They paid for Noah, Just sayin, it was a active campaign to boycott this movie (that had more steam than I thought, ala hearing about it on the news & TMZ live)  People want

Nope, it's not the same with Annie, these characters are JAPANESE...and LIVE IN JAPAN........Annie lives in New York....We've seen this already with Dragon Ball (which STILL took place in Japan if I remember correctly...yet somehow NONE of the main actors were asian...) & Avatar, unless they're bringing the setting to America theres reason for the reaction.

And you're right Entertainment isn't about education, but geographic & physical accuracy do seem to be paid closser attention to in the digital age from my perspective and for the most part.

They paid for Noah, Just sayin, it was a active campaign to boycott this movie (that had more steam than I thought, ala hearing about it on the news & TMZ live)  People want

I get the Japanese thing... I'm referring to the other "whitewash" movies that aren't of Asian context. 

I'm lost on the whole Avatar situation. 

You cannot say "entertainment isn't about of education" then list college courses.. Stoppit

Again.. Religion is on a downward spiral in this country. Less and less people are going to church. The market for Christian fairytales is on the decline.. With or without protests... Religion is made up.. Just like most movies

I get the Japanese thing... I'm referring to the other "whitewash" movies that aren't of Asian context. 

I'm lost on the whole Avatar situation. 

You cannot say "entertainment isn't about of education" then list college courses.. Stoppit

Again.. Religion is on a downward spiral in this country. Less and less people are going to church. The market for Christian fairytales is on the decline.. With or without protests... Religion is made up.. Just like most movies

Oh OK, well with Exodus, true or not it takes place in Ancient Egypt, not a mystial land at that time whites weren't there or at least predominantly anyway until it got invaded sometime later, and the other case Rey brought up was a Native American Peter Pan character will be played in a live action movie by a white actress.

Avitar's like Dragon ball & this case, Asian characters.

Be that as it may, Noah still managed to be a Box Office success.

Oh OK, well with Exodus, true or not it takes place in Ancient Egypt, not a mystial land at that time whites weren't there or at least predominantly anyway until it got invaded sometime later, and the other case Rey brought up was a Native American Peter Pan character will be played in a live action movie by a white actress.

Avitar's like Dragon ball & this case, Asian characters.

Be that as it may, Noah still managed to be a Box Office success.

Honey.. It's about a Jew who "led his people by spreading open the lake or ocean or whatever"... Fairytale.. Doesn't matter if the fairytale took place in Egypt or Cincinnati... It doesn't have to be literal. It's art.. It is pure entertainment... If children are learning their geography from movies.. well no wonder American is home to the dumbest children in the world

Peter Pan is a white woman... :umm:I have never watched another nationality/gender Peter Pan.. Who else would want to stay young forever with young boys...   The late great, Robin Williams but you get the point lol

Avatar is an American adoption of the film... Why would Americans keep Avatar... Asian :umm: ? Who would go see an Asian Avatar movie in this country? Not $1 billion worth, that's for sure 

Honey.. It's about a Jew who "led his people by spreading open the lake or ocean or whatever"... Fairytale.. Doesn't matter if the fairytale took place in Egypt or Cincinnati... It doesn't have to be literal. It's art.. It is pure entertainment... If children are learning their geography from movies.. well no wonder American is home to the dumbest children in the world

Peter Pan is a white woman... :umm:I have never watched another nationality/gender Peter Pan.. Who else would want to stay young forever with young boys...   The late great, Robin Williams but you get the point lol

Avatar is an American adoption of the film... Why would Americans keep Avatar... Asian :umm: ? Who would go see an Asian Avatar movie in this country? Not $1 billion worth, that's for sure 

Im sorry but Im just against blatant lazyness, in terms of geography, like nobody's asking for something that can't be simply done, which is cast actors that fit the geographic location and time. Im not for blatant lazyness in terms of casting, and Im glad it seems that's becoming more of the norm these days, people are demanding accuracy for races being portrayed on film and they should.

1st off Peter Pan is a male in both versions that matter the Disney cartoon and Hook, 2ndly Im talking about Tiger Lily the native American character...who's native american lol

OK miscomunication on my part, you're thinking James Cameron's Avatar, Im talking about Avatar: The Last Air Bender...

I was wondering did anyone catch the thought that Anglina Jolie would play Cleopatra,someone from Egypt as in African.....making Jolie the third White actress to do so :filenails:

Yes, Angelina would be perfect to play her since Cleopatra was WHITE. As I explained in another thread, although she ruled over Egypt she descended from a family of Macedonians/Greeks (The Ptolemies). Thanks to a ton of incest they pretty much kept the royal power within their white family. You can give her a little suntan if you want based on where she lived but the woman was white. If you want a black queen try Hatshepsut, Nefertiti, or the line of Candaces in Kush (Nubia and Ethiopia).

• Upvote 1

Im sorry but Im just against blatant lazyness, in terms of geography, like nobody's asking for something that can't be simply done, which is cast actors that fit the geographic location and time. Im not for blatant lazyness in terms of casting, and Im glad it seems that's becoming more of the norm these days, people are demanding accuracy for races being portrayed on film and they should.

1st off Peter Pan is a male in both versions that matter the Disney cartoon and Hook, 2ndly Im talking about Tiger Lily the native American character...who's native american lol

OK miscomunication on my part, you're thinking James Cameron's Avatar, Im talking about Avatar: The Last Air Bender...

Lol it cannot be done. Outsourcing a cast from specific areas of the world is not a money maker

It's not that serious. Adults get so caught up in nothing they forget the point of Peter Pan

:lmao:

What Do We Know About Cleopatra's Ancestry?

The Ptolemy dynasty was descended from the Greek Macedonian Ptolemy Soter, established as ruler of Egypt by Alexander the Great's conquest of Egypt in 305 B.C.E. (In other words, they were imperialist outsiders.) Many of their marriages were incestuous, with brothers marrying sisters -- but not all the children born are known to have had both fathers and mothers who were Ptolemies.

We are not certain of the heritage of Cleopatra's mother or her paternal grandmother. That leaves 50% to 75% of her genetic heritage unknown -- and ripe for speculation.

Is there any evidence that either her mother or paternal grandmother was a black African? No. "We don't know the heritage of" means just that. We don't know.

Is there any evidence that either of those women were not black Africans? No, by the same reasoning.

Cleopatra's Paternal Grandmother

Many scholars believe that Cleopatra's paternal grandmother was a concubine. That woman's background has been assumed to be either Alexandrian or Nubian. She may have been ethnically Egyptian, and she may have had a heritage which we'd today call "black."

Cleopatra's Mother

Cleopatra's mother is usually identified as her aunt, Cleopatra V, daughter of Ptolemy IX. Cleopatra V's mother is also unknown; Cleopatra V was not the daughter of a royal wife, but we don't know if the mother was another Ptolemy relative or a concubine of Egyptian or Semitic African or black African background.

We are not certain of the heritage of Cleopatra's mother or her paternal grandmother. That leaves 50% to 75% of her genetic heritage unknown -- and ripe for speculation.

Is there any evidence that either her mother or paternal grandmother was a black African? No. "We don't know the heritage of" means just that. We don't know.

Is there any evidence that either of those women were not black Africans? No, by the same reasoning.

Cleopatra's Paternal Grandmother

Many scholars believe that Cleopatra's paternal grandmother was a concubine. That woman's background has been assumed to be either Alexandrian or Nubian. She may have been ethnically Egyptian, and she may have had a heritage which we'd today call "black."

Cleopatra's Mother

Cleopatra's mother is usually identified as her aunt, Cleopatra V, daughter of Ptolemy IX. Cleopatra V's mother is also unknown; Cleopatra V was not the daughter of a royal wife, but we don't know if the mother was another Ptolemy relative or a concubine of Egyptian or Semitic African or black African background.

More if you want to read:

http://womenshistory.about.com/od/cleopatra/a/was_cleopatra_black.htm

--------------

Just sharing.... There is no conclusive evidence of her race. There is just as good a chance of her being black as being white. Therefore, at best, I would say a mixed actress should portray her. Nothing to do with the topic... just saw Cleopatra mentioned. Carry on. 

Even if someone took that article seriously, which they shouldn't since about.com isn't an actual history or even scholarly source(neither is the writer of said article), all that says is that it's inconclusive of her having any black relatives. What is confirmed is her white ancestry with many scholars agreeing, and since a question mark, even for up to half of her heritage, doesn't equal confirmation in any direction then you should go with what is already confirmed about her. Therefore, it makes sense to cast her as a white actress. If there is confirmation to the contrary then of course it should be represented. Until then, it's best to stick to the facts at hand.

please fix title

#DevilAdvocateRant

Annie is a fictional character as well as the storm troopers in star wars.   You can't compare black actors playing roles of fake characters vs white actors playing roles of real people.  Cleopatra was not white.  She was an ethnic woman. No white woman could survive in that heat.  She would have had major sunburn. MJ is the only one who has gotten it right so far.  

• Upvote 3

Annie is a fictional character as well as the storm troopers in star wars.   You can't compare black actors playing roles of fake characters vs white actors playing roles of real people.  Cleopatra was not white.  She was an ethnic woman. No white woman could survive in that heat.  She would have had major sunburn. MJ is the only one who has gotten it right so far.  

ed2305b7.png

Funny, lol. Still, she's a Ptolemy so she's definitely white. Anything to the contrary is speculation.

Annie is a fictional character as well as the storm troopers in star wars. You can't compare black actors playing roles of fake characters vs white actors playing roles of real people. Cleopatra was not white. She was an ethnic woman. No white woman could survive in that heat. She would have had major sunburn. MJ is the only one who has gotten it right so far.

It is not a history lesson.. It is a movie. Move on.. There are better things to bitch about on a Janet forum