One Direction's Zayn Malik Officially Leaves Group

jarrylf

I dunno. I was always glad Baby didn't leave tbh. I never cared much for Ginger. Plus Forever was probably too R&B for the fans so I doubt it not doing as well was down to Geri. They were such a huge enigma at the time that I think any member leaving would have had a massive effect purely down to the shock factor not to mention the gap between Spiceworld and Forever (which was a lot for a manufactured act) and sound change.

Oh trust if they still forever, when & how they did it it probably would've flopped still. But of the 5 I think it's fair to say all 5 would've gotten a large reaction, but I think Victorias would've been the smallest cause it almost seemed expected because of her personality as the character.

I think they were the best kind of manufacturing a group could be, 2 guys put them together, made them live together practice, learn to write & harmonize...then they fire them,and find Simon Fuller as a real group, I love that.

It seems like honestly no one is surprised by this except One Direction fans. Zayn has always been considered the best singer in the group and was already recording solo music/song features with producer/songwriter Naughty Boy (who has worked with Emeli Sandé, Ed Sheeran, Sam Smith, & others).

It was pretty obvious that either Zayn or Harry would be the first to leave the group/go solo. Harry and Zayn are the 2 popular ones in the group while the other 3 would struggle if they attempted a solo career especially since they don't have good singing voices in my opinion. I'm not even a fan of the group but could tell that Zayn would likely go solo considering his potential as either a solo Pop or R&B singer. 

From what I seen/gathered from pop culture and my female cousins, Harry and Zayn were the most popular.  Liam was too.  But I don't know enough about them or their backstory.  I did see them perform once on an awards show and they sounded real good together.

From what I heard, Zayn has the best voice out of the group..but he says that he doesn't want the fame and wants to live a normal life.  He'll be back but on his own terms.

And the girls who were crying/gagging about his departure.. :lmao:  A damn mess. :lmao:

• Upvote 1

In another weird turn of events in this week’s dramatic One Direction saga, fans are trying to buy the band through a crowdfunding page, set up at 4am on Thursday morning.

The GoFundMe page aims to raise $877.7 million in order to buy the band from their current management, Modest! Management.

CBBSmxEUgAAZDVN.jpg

Why would you lie like that? :unsure:

The 90s were 20 years ago, so maybe his memory isn't he best. :lmao:

But yeah, I don't remember Ginger being the most popular spice. They all played their position if you asked me. I'm black, so around my way Scary spice was THAT BITCH! :yep:

From what I seen/gathered from pop culture and my female cousins, Harry and Zayn were the most popular.  Liam was too.  But I don't know enough about them or their backstory.  I did see them perform once on an awards show and they sounded real good together.

From what I heard, Zayn has the best voice out of the group..but he says that he doesn't want the fame and wants to live a normal life.  He'll be back but on his own terms.

And the girls who were crying/gagging about his departure.. :lmao:  A damn mess. :lmao:

you dont know them either :lmao:

Its caught the news here, they reported One Direction as the biggest male group since the Beatles.....that made me take some notice

I always thought Posh was the most popular one, especially when David came on the scene. Apart from that iconic Brits dress, Geri didn't offer much.

that ...I remember enjoying the Spice Girls, bought their music, it was fun. But Posh even if she wasnt the focal point, certainly landed the best of the Spice Girls, that is if you dont count Scary Spice's payday by getting pregnant by Eddie Murphy :whistle:

Yeah that's not debatable, Victoria is the most relevant and successful of the girls (the least in terms of their solo albums, tho I prefer her solo music way more than Emnas). But yea in the group at least from my experience with school & friends everyone was talking about or fighting to be Geri or MelB, and nobody wanted to be Vicki

So apparently there was a clause in One Direction's contract called the "leaving member clause". Which basically means Simon Cowell expected someone in the group to go solo and when they did whoever would still be continued to be signed under Simon's record label, Syco but just as a solo artist. So when Zayn releases solo music he will be on Simon's label Syco but just as a solo act rather than be signed as a group member of One Direction. Have to say that is smart of Simon considering how the band was formed by Simon. They auditioned as individuals but then were put together as a group on X-Factor. Obviously one was bound to eventually go solo because that almost always happens with groups no matter if the group is made up of friends, family, put together by management, or put together by a competition show. 

Zayn Malik's Solo Plans, One Direction's Future Course: Inside the Band's Sony Contract
ARTICLESBUSINESSPOP-SHOPNEWS
By Andrew Hampp, New York | March 27, 2015 12:33 PM EDT

Three days into a four-person tour, two hours after playing to a stadium of 43,000 fans in Jakarta and just eight minutes past ­midnight, One Direction made an announcement that would send millions of teenagers into hysterics. Zayn Malik was leaving the band "to be a normal 22-year-old who is able to relax and have some private time out of the spotlight," as the singer said in an official statement on March 25.

Malik's departure didn't come as a complete surprise (he had announced a brief hiatus from the band's current tour on March 19 due to "stress"), nor is it unprecedented (the Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys both had members exit at the height of their popularity). But it's a troubling sign that even 1D's record-breaking four-year run may soon come to an end after its current stadium tour (it wraps in the United Kingdom on Oct. 31) and upcoming fifth album (expected in the fourth quarter through Syco/Columbia). It also brings into question Malik's contractual status as one-fifth of the X Factor U.K.-born prefab group.

Richard Griffiths, One Direction's manager at London-based Modest Management, confirms to Billboard that "nothing changes on the tour," which will spend two months and 25 dates in North America starting July 9. That's good news for promoters Live Nation and Creative Artists Agency, as 1D finished 2014 as the top touring act in the world with total gross ticket sales of more than $290 million and attendance of 3,439,560 from 69 shows reported to Billboard Boxscore. Reps for the band and labels Columbia and Syco declined further comment.

But while ticket sales remain sturdy, the group's chart momentum has slowed since the release of Four last November. Although the set debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 (making 1D the only group in the chart's 59-year history to have its first four albums bow in the top slot), it has yet to generate a top 10 hit, with lead single "Steal My Girl" peaking at No. 13 and second single, "Night Changes," petering out at 31 (a label rep says no further single releases are planned at this time). In total, the group has sold 6.5 million albums in the United States, according to Nielsen Music; 2012 debut Up All Night is its biggest at 2 million.

Still, that's a covetable track record -- and Billboard's forthcoming 2014 Money Makers list, an annual compilation of the top earners in U.S. recorded music and touring, will report One Direction at No. 1 for the first time, with a total take of $42 million. That's why Malik's label management team has already positioned him for a future as a solo act: Malik is signed to Syco as a group member and individually. A "leaving member clause" in the band's deal allows the act to continue as a foursome, and it also offers the label the option to pick up Malik's contract as a solo artist.

By Malik's own admission to U.K. newspaper The Sun, a solo career looks to be in the cards and the singer is currently working with British producer Naughty Boy in a London studio.

The remaining 1D four-piece still owes two more albums to Sony as part of a three-album renewal inked in 2013. Beyond that, "the theory is, because there are fewer members in the group, the label should pay less [of an advance for future work] because they're likely to be less viable," explains attorney Doug Davis, principal at The Davis Firm, whose clients include Lil Jon and Swizz Beatz. "But if Zayn is properly represented, he will negotiate a more substantial solo deal than the percentage he's entitled to as part of a group."

Malik had been withdrawn from the band for months, suffering from what one source calls "terrible anxiety" (for which he allegedly took medication) and dropping out of a key promotional appearance for Four on NBC's Today in Orlando, Fla., in fall 2014. "There have been rumors of substance abuse," hinted Today host Matt Lauer of Malik's illness excuse. Indeed, another source contends, "Zayn wasn't sick when he missed Orlando ... he's had one foot out the door since then." Offers a third, well-placed insider: "He just didn't want to do it anymore."

But for every short-lived post-boy band solo project (Jordan Knight, Nick Carter, Joe Jonas), there's plenty of success stories (Michael Jackson, Justin Timberlake) to bode well for Malik's next path. Johnny Wright, who currently manages Timberlake and has worked with Backstreet Boys, *NSYNC, The Jonas Brothers and New Kids On The Block at various stages in their respective careers, says, "My advice to him would be always leave an open door with the band, so that there's a time in the future for him to develop and find himself but always leave that door open so that he can come back."

Jayne Collins, the creator and first manager of prefab British group The Wanted, adds, "I don't think Zayn is going to hide under a rock -- I think he'll do his own solo thing. I would imagine he just wants to be in control of his own destiny."

Contributing: Shirley Halperin, Jem Aswad, Richard Smirke

An edited version of the story originally appeared in the April 4th issue of Billboard.

Source

I'm old and/or I just don't care anymore. 

I've never heard a single "One Direction" song. lol 

I only know that song, "Jealous," and that's because someone played it for me. I don't know ANY of their songs as a group, and I want to keep it that way.  I'm shocked they have 4 albums :lol:

ETA:  I even have the wrong damn group!  :lol:

I don't know anything about boy bands today!

By Nick Jonas :unsure:

Shit!  I don't even know another song by his group, neither.  I don't follow boy bands anymore :lol:

Even more proof that I don't listen to pop music like I used to :lol:

What is a popular song by One Direction? 

• Upvote 2