Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
StateOfTheWorld

Janet to receive BMI Icon Award!

Recommended Posts



BMI is proud to announce that multiplatinum superstar Janet Jackson will be named a BMI Icon at the 2018 BMI R&B/Hip-Hop Awards.  The event will be held Thursday, August 30, at The Woodruff Arts Center’s Symphony Hall in Atlanta, and will be hosted by BMI President & CEO Mike O’Neill and BMI Vice President Creative (Atlanta), Catherine Brewton.

“As one of the most influential entertainers of all time, Janet Jackson’s artistry and music transcends generations and has inspired many with messages of empowerment that can be heard throughout her rich catalog of music,” said Brewton. “She is the definition of an icon, and I can’t think of anyone more deserving of this honor.”

Jackson joins an elite group of recipients who have received BMI’s Icon Award for their “unique and indelible influence on generations of music makers.” Past recipients have included Patti LaBelle, Nile Rodgers, James Brown, Snoop Dogg and Al Green, among others.

Throughout her groundbreaking career, she’s sold more than 160 million records worldwide, scored seven No. 1 albums, and is the only artist in Billboard’s history to have three different albums— Control, Janet Jackson’s Rhythm Nation 1814 and janet.—each produce five or more top ten hits on the Hot 100 chart. Jackson is also one of only four artists, alongside Bruce Springsteen, Barbra Streisand and U2, to have earned No. 1 albums in the 1980s, 1990s, 2000s and 2010s. 

She has received two Emmy nominations, a Golden Globe and Academy Award nomination, and garnered six GRAMMY Awards, along with dozens of American Music Awards, MTV Video Music Awards and Billboard Music Awards, including this year’s Billboard Icon Award, which was her first televised performance in nine years. With no signs of slowing down, Jackson has a series of upcoming summer performances that kick off July 8 in New Orleans at the ESSENCE Festival and go through August 12 in San Francisco at the Outside Lands Music Festival.

Throughout the evening, BMI will also salute the songwriters, producers, publishers and administrators of the past year’s 35 most-performed R&B/Hip-Hop songs in the United States from BMI’s repertoire of more than 13 million musical works. The BMI R&B/Hip-Hop Songwriter, Producer and Publisher of the Year will be named during the ceremony.


 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is just leading up to the RRHOF induction. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is crazy how these award shows will make up (well deserved)awards to have Janet show up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just..

2lNEQ63.gif

After ALL these years of her not getting respect, she' has a total of 3 legend awards in 6 months.

2lNEQ63.gif

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hotboy06 said:

I just..

2lNEQ63.gif

After ALL these years of her not getting respect, she' has a total of 3 legend awards in 6 months.

2lNEQ63.gif

 

 

I CANNOT WAIT for next year's Radio Disney Awards...
I just want to see Madonna receiving her JANET JACKSON Impact Award.

tenor.gif?itemid=10436238

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, feehgarcia said:

I CANNOT WAIT for next year's Radio Disney Awards...
I just want to see Madonna receiving her JANET JACKSON Impact Award.

tenor.gif?itemid=10436238

MAODJRKSKD RISB SHADE

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The VMA’s better create a new award for her too. And then the Grammys better apologise and bring her back with a special award too. And then RRHOF. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, bu. said:

The VMA’s better create a new award for her too. And then the Grammys better apologise and bring her back with a special award too. And then RRHOF. 

I really want the VMA's to do something for her, but already got the highest MTV honour (the vanguard) and they gave Queen her whole Icon tribute, anything else would be the cherry on top of the cake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, bu. said:

The VMA’s better create a new award for her too. And then the Grammys better apologise and bring her back with a special award too. And then RRHOF. 

Janet’s Senior Vice President is at MTV headquarters this morning :lmao: I wonder why 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, StateOfTheWorld said:

I really want the VMA's to do something for her, but already got the highest MTV honour (the vanguard) and they gave Queen her whole Icon tribute, anything else would be the cherry on top of the cake

MTV will fucking make one up like BET Awards did in 2015, DRA, and the BMAs :lmao: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Game For Now said:

MTV will fucking make one up like BET Awards did in 2015, DRA, and the BMAs :lmao: 

TRL! I'm ready!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, feehgarcia said:

TRL! I'm ready!!!!

MTV Music Awards > Total iRrelevance Live 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MTV in general isn't really relevant to the music landscape tbqh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Illi said:

MTV in general isn't really relevant to the music landscape tbqh.

Not any more but they still sorta kinda are... it’s weird 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StateOfTheWorld said:

I really want the VMA's to do something for her, but already got the highest MTV honour (the vanguard) and they gave Queen her whole Icon tribute, anything else would be the cherry on top of the cake

It’d be great! I mean I’m sure they can think of another prestigious award now they’re giving the Vanguard to anybody and everybody thus  reducing its specialness 

1 hour ago, Game For Now said:

Janet’s Senior Vice President is at MTV headquarters this morning :lmao: I wonder why 

Omg really??? Ooooo I wonder :excited: 

49 minutes ago, Illi said:

MTV in general isn't really relevant to the music landscape tbqh.

They’re not but the VMA is still good for exposure 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, bu. said:

It’d be great! I mean I’m sure they can think of another prestigious award now they’re giving the Vanguard to anybody and everybody thus  reducing its specialness 

Omg really??? Ooooo I wonder :excited: 

They’re not but the VMA is still good for exposure 

It’s on his story

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is crazy that she be getting all these awards.. each one necessary and deservedly so! But my ponderance is this: is Janet’s management team sending out emails to all award show production companies and stating that Janet is in an award-receiving mood and if provided with an award she will show up to said award show? Or are all these awards shows just coincidentally scrolling through history and seeing that Janet is owed this, this and that award...all at the same time?!

again..it’s crazy how she getting the recognition that’s been missing the first the last decade and a half, but I’m curious as to why it is all so seemingly sudden and simultaneous..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dal said:

This is crazy that she be getting all these awards.. each one necessary and deservedly so! But my ponderance is this: is Janet’s management team sending out emails to all award show production companies and stating that Janet is in an award-receiving mood and if provided with an award she will show up to said award show? Or are all these awards shows just coincidentally scrolling through history and seeing that Janet is owed this, this and that award...all at the same time?!

again..it’s crazy how she getting the recognition that’s been missing the first the last decade and a half, but I’m curious as to why it is all so seemingly sudden and simultaneous..

I don’t think her management team sent out a mass spam email. 

Joey Harris has close ties with many media and pop culture companies including Radio Disney, BET, Pepsi, Spotify, Samsung, VH1, FOX. With that being said, yes they probably pushed Goddess but I’m sure it wasn’t difficult to convince them to make up an award and treat the Goddess like a goddess. 

Joey also worked with Beyoncé 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dal said:

This is crazy that she be getting all these awards.. each one necessary and deservedly so! But my ponderance is this: is Janet’s management team sending out emails to all award show production companies and stating that Janet is in an award-receiving mood and if provided with an award she will show up to said award show? Or are all these awards shows just coincidentally scrolling through history and seeing that Janet is owed this, this and that award...all at the same time?!

again..it’s crazy how she getting the recognition that’s been missing the first the last decade and a half, but I’m curious as to why it is all so seemingly sudden and simultaneous..

I simply think they are following each other's lead. Once an award was given away the others were probably thinking "Hey why don't we do the same since she definitely deserves it. They could've given it to Madonnasaur over Janet but they know who the true Queen and Pioneer. I think Madonna's influence was more raunchy and sexual than anything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its all PR people lets not over think it .....damn good PR though, gather them I say :coffee:

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JoeJoe said:

I simply think they are following each other's lead. Once an award was given away the others were probably thinking "Hey why don't we do the same since she definitely deserves it. They could've given it to Madonnasaur over Janet but they know who the true Queen and Pioneer. I think Madonna's influence was more raunchy and sexual than anything else.

No Joe. That’s a cute fantasy tho 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so y'all really over here trying to say PR is making these award shows give Janet icon and legend awards? Please! :rolleyes: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not saying she doesn’t deserve them. Saying it’s set up by her management team. It’s not a coincidence or dumb luck that these random shows and BMAs are honoring her 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×