VH1 Behind the Music : Toni Braxton

Bailey

It's on right now, bout half thru....and it's getting good she getting ready to talk about royaly checks less than 2000 grand, and Oprah interviewed her and Oprah told Toni "You own Gucci flatware, I don't even own Gucci flatware".....Toni snatch Oprahs wig in the behind the music special by saying "you don't own Gucci flatware because you don't want to buy it it's not because you can't afford it" -_-

I don't honestly know what to make of Toni's financial woes, it sounds like a lot of bad luck, but the talk on the net after the VH1 special is she was in bankruptcy twice so they basically say she needs to be responsible with her money and own up to her fuck ups. I said that's kinda harsh, I just think too much talent has been in the music business and its just like LL Cool J said once, they know the Show, but NOT Show business...and chile La Reid and Babyface could not have acted any more brand new when asked about Toni's contract with LaFace, sad, but hey business is business, I just don't understand why more folks in the business don't sit a sista to the side and be like gurl what's up? I mean what you got coming in and going out? Do you even know? Cause honey me and Chilli >_<

Truth be told, Toni signed a bad deal with Laface. People forget that Toni went bankrupt a year after TLC, when both artist were at the height of their fame. She was never paid properly for her first two albums, which were her most successful albums. If you're not making the right money at your peak, you'll never be stable at your nadir. Toni's first album sold 6 or 7 mill and her second went diamond. Yeah she bought Gucci dishes and Tiffany towels, but with those types of record sells, she should have been able to afford it. But her deal was shady, so LA, Pebbles, their greedy son, Babyface, Tracy and their kids were all living off royalties that should have been going to Toni, lisa, chilli, t-boz and the rest of the label. Toni was in the hole from day one because her money was never right from jump.

Truth be told, Toni signed a bad deal with Laface. People forget that Toni went bankrupt a year after TLC, when both artist were at the height of their fame. She was never paid properly for her first two albums, which were her most successful albums. If you're not making the right money at your peak, you'll never be stable at your nadir. Toni's first album sold 6 or 7 mill and her second went diamond. Yeah she bought Gucci dishes and Tiffany towels, but with those types of record sells, she should have been able to afford it. But her deal was shady, so LA, Pebbles, their greedy son, Babyface, Tracy and their kids were all living off royalties that should have been going to Toni, lisa, chilli, t-boz and the rest of the label. Toni was in the hole from day one because her money was never right from jump.

so again no one came to her like girl.....you gotta get away from them and fast....they did make the hits though...which is why I wonder how Janet ended up with La Reid and look how awful that went....I will admit at first I thought it was a good idea, sure La Reid, I bet he would love to make Janet huge again....no sir :coffee:

so again no one came to her like girl.....you gotta get away from them and fast....they did make the hits though...which is why I wonder how Janet ended up with La Reid and look how awful that went....I will admit at first I thought it was a good idea, sure La Reid, I bet he would love to make Janet huge again....no sir :coffee:

Nobody knew how shady Laface was until VH1 aired TLC's behind the music in 1999. That's when tea started being spilled. :coffee:

Prince said TLC's behind the music should be mandatory viewing for all new artist! :lmao:

So Toni couldn't have been warned about them because she was singned by them in the early 90s. She was signed around the same time as TLC. The reality is, if youdon't have smart people around you when you sign your deal you are doomed. The average new artist is very young and most don't know shit about a contract. You need a lawyer or a stage parent there to make sure you don't sign your damn life away. You need a Joe Jackson, Sonja Norwood or a Matthew Knowles around to flash on a shady ass record exec. Toni let her friendship with Babyface clowd her judgement.

• Upvote 1

NOW...this...is one hell of a record deal story

http://articles.lati...record-business

No other family in the history of entertainment ever slayed like this!!!! -_-

Culturally they will be iconic until the end of time. But in retospect, they had the record sells to justify it. Janet delievered with her first album for the label. "Janet." sold 14 mill worldwide, which means it grossed 112 mill for Virgin. Add to that the success of her next 4 albums and single sells, and janet was actually under paid. :umm:

• Upvote 1

No other family in the history of entertainment ever slayed like this!!!! -_-

Culturally they will be iconic until the end of time. But in retospect, they had the record sells to justify it. Janet delievered with her first album for the label. "Janet." sold 14 mill worldwide, which means it grossed 112 mill for Virgin. Add to that the success of her next 4 albums and single sells, and janet was actually under paid. :umm:

I was comparing Madonna's royalty to Janet's, Janet had what appears to be a better record deal, Janet's royalty was higher than Madonna's and Janet owed 4 albums and a greatest hits, while Madonna was on the hook for like 5 or 6 albums

I was comparing Madonna's royalty to Janet's, Janet had what appears to be a better record deal, Janet's royalty was higher than Madonna's and Janet owed 4 albums and a greatest hits, while Madonna was on the hook for like 5 or 6 albums

Janet got more money up front. But Madonna got a record company out of her deal. "Maverick" made madge a lot of money before it got sold.

ya'll know Michael probably told Janet what she could do and how to do it to get that money, say what you will about Michael but that man knew the business side in and out

He told her about buying musical rights and ownership. Janet owns the rights to other artist songs as well. But MJ owned The Beatles so at the end of the day, he beat everybody!!! :w00t:

hold up sweety, Maverick went Bankrupt didn't it? I remember reading about it being in the red

I thought it got purchased by WB and then disbanded? Whatever happened to it, she made money while it was in operation. Alanis was signed to that label and she sold 15 million out the gate! Madonna was eating!!!

Janet got more money up front. But Madonna got a record company out of her deal. "Maverick" made madge a lot of money before it got sold.

In March 2004, Maverick filed suit against Warner Music Group and its former parent company, Time Warner Inc., claiming that mismanagement of resources and poor bookkeeping had cost the company millions of dollars. In return, WMG filed a countersuit, alleging that Maverick had lost tens of millions of dollars on its own. On June 14, 2004, the dispute was resolved when Maverick shares owned by Madonna and Dashev were purchased — which effectively exiled the two of them from the company as it was now a wholly owned subsidiary of Warner Music Group. Oseary, meanwhile, remained CEO. In August 2006 the band Lillix, which at the time was signed to the label, claimed that the label no longer exists and that all the artists were now handled by Warner Bros. directly.

He told her about buying musical rights and ownership. Janet owns the rights to other artist songs as well. But MJ owned The Beatles so at the end of the day, he beat everybody!!! :w00t:

who does Janet own? And the article said Janet would own her masters 7 years after her Virgin contract ended......what does that mean? the masters?

In March 2004, Maverick filed suit against Warner Music Group and its former parent company, Time Warner Inc., claiming that mismanagement of resources and poor bookkeeping had cost the company millions of dollars. In return, WMG filed a countersuit, alleging that Maverick had lost tens of millions of dollars on its own. On June 14, 2004, the dispute was resolved when Maverick shares owned by Madonna and Dashev were purchased — which effectively exiled the two of them from the company as it was now a wholly owned subsidiary of Warner Music Group. Oseary, meanwhile, remained CEO. In August 2006 the band Lillix, which at the time was signed to the label, claimed that the label no longer exists and that all the artists were now handled by Warner Bros. directly.

You got all the tea! :mellow:

You ass up in here brewin pots and kettles. :lol:

who does Janet own? And the article said Janet would own her masters 7 years after her Virgin contract ended......what does that mean? the masters?

Owning your masters is when you own the original copy, which means you can do with it what you want. Like licensing it out for commercials, movies and Tv shows. Plus when people cover it they need your permission and you get a percentage of that versions profit as well. This is my loose interpretation, so do your research for the proper definition.

I'm not sure which catalogue Janet owns from other artist, but I remember reading she owns some and she learned how to do this from MJ, who learned from Paul Mccartney.